</A> -Cui Bono?-

<< But just WHO is getting these blood tests?  Not regular Jane and John
 Schmoes...
 not happily married couples.  These are blood tests being conducted when
 there
 is already a problem, or suspected problem, in the relationship. >>

The 10% illegitimacy rate was from a test done on all babies born in a
particular hospital....a pure blind test, except to the degree the
economic/social status of the people going to that hospital might affect
relationships. As I recall it was done 10 or so years ago, and included
troubled and non-troubled relationships.

The study is, I believe, cited in the book "THE SPERM WARS" which looks at
the male drive to father children from a supposedly scientific point of view.
One interesting theory cited is that the shape of the penis is designed
(through thrusting) to pull out the sperm of a previous "donor" before
depositing the new.

Also, to address some of your other points:  it has been shown that so-called
trophy wives are not the cause of infidelity in MOST cases. Perhaps you've
got an ax to grind here. But even so, men are drawn to women who 1) are
fertile and 2) attractive.
Fertility is mostly a function of age; many wives go through menopause in
their late thirties.
Men are ALSO strongly drawn to warm women with good personalities. And I
suspect that in these modern times of economic abundance, that this is
probably the dominant determinant...we live longer lives, and survival of the
species is not important on an individual level. On a purely biological
basis, this may be bad for humanity as a whole.

What society (men in particular) deems attractive is somewhat cultural (big
breasted women are in favor/out of favor/in favor etc.) Did you know the most
common form of plastic surgery in Brazil is breast reduction? Purely a
regional/cultural phenomenon.

G. B. Shaw wrote in "Man and Superman" that men and women chose each other as
mates to produce a better offspring even though they don't know they're doing
this.

> In history, fathers have killed offspring they believed to be biologically
> not theirs. Since the primal drive is to spread one's DNA,

>>Perhaps for men.  Women look for more in a relationship than to spread DNA.

Women look for stability (financial mostly) in their relationships because it
provides the best chance for the child to grow up and then pass on its DNA.
But then again, the woman is KNOWN to be the mother. The Jewish religion, I'm
told only recognizes MATERNITY in determing family lineage and "Jewishness",
because it is the only sure way.

> a man would not
> want to expend economic and emotional resources to bring up a child not
his.

>>Explain that to all the stepfathers and adoptive fathers in the world.

Nothing in life is simple. Parenting is very emotional, but there is an
underlying "drive" to pass on the DNA . Since adoption requires the consent
of both adoptive parents, I suspect the man is also a nurturer. Or is the
couple showing off its fecundity and fertility to the outside world, to gain
society's approval? Probably a little bit of both.

Human sexuality and its place in modern society is a fascinating field. I
suggest you read up on it more, to understand the bigger picture.