</A> -Cui Bono?-

an excerpt from:
The Untold Philippine Story
Hernado J. Abaya
Malaya Books, Inc©1967.
Quezon City, Philippines
370pps. -2nd Printing-
--[1]--

THE FILIPINO AND "MANIFEST DESTINY      1
A Contingent Necessity

The writing of history, says Goethe, is one way of getting rid of the weight
of the past. Thus we view events from the long perspective of history. But
often, when judgment is brought to bear upon an event, the event is weighed
not as it is, but as it might be. When this happens, as it does so often with
us, the writing of history becomes imagination, not thought. This results in
myths that we take for historical truths. And myths are a consequence of the
bankruptcy of the mind.

As a people, we have entertained many notions that we take for historical
facts when they are nothing but myths nurtured by our own ignorance of our
past. A simple case in point is this: school textbooks still record the
"discovery" of the Philippines by Magellan and the "grant" of independence by
the United States. Both are historically inaccurate. Rizal, in his
annotations of Morga's Sucesos, ridiculed how Spanish conquistadores claimed
"discovery" of islands already visited by others as a pretext to annex them.
The truth is, the Spaniards were subjects of the Moors, who ruled them for
seven centuries, when the much-maligned indios were already in active trade
with the Cambodians, the Chinese, the Javanese, the Arabs and others. And
Aguinaldo and his men had already won by arms their independence from Spain,
when
 McKinley decided to annex us. America merely restored our freedom. She could
not grant what it was not hers to give away.

It is less a question of semantics than of historical truth. Yet the fiction
persists because many of us have confused other people's history with our
own, not realizing, as Tagore wisely says, that we cannot borrow another's
history, and that if we stifle our own, we are committing suicide.

Unwittingly perhaps, but with unhappy results for us, some writers of our
history, including the most assiduous among them, have colored their
judgments by an undue concern with trying to convert rather than to tell the
truth, and with appealing to the emotions rather than to the intellect. We
have, for example, a Philippine history for Catholic schools. We have also
the many learned treatises on our "special relations" with the United States
accepting, and defending with no little vehemence, as a historical necessity
our continued economic subservience -to the United States. Many have even
convinced themselves that we cannot exist as a free nation without American
dole and guidance.[1] This has become a hallowed myth, almost as sacrosanct
as the dogma laid down by the friars of our recent past that the moment the in
dio separates from his carabao, he becomes, as Marcelo del Pilar notes in La
Soberania Monacal, a traitor to God and to his king ("se hace traidor a Dios
y a su rey").

It is the tragedy of weak peoples, like us, to have our history written or
made to order for us. Not literally. But it has been so tailored to serve the
interests of others first before our own. Rizal knew this. He saw where we
were heading. He tried to emancipate us from the dead weight of the past. He
opened the "book of our past" so that we might have a glimpse of our ancient
glory. But we were weak. This was our curse, our tragedy. After all, he
writes in El Filibusterismo, the indios were guilty of no crime other than
that of weakness.

"A strange destiny, that of some peoples!" muses Isagani, as he promenades on
the Malecon drive in the gathering dusk. "Because a traveler arrives at his
shores, they lose their liberty and become subjects and slaves, not only of
the traveler, not only of his heirs, but even of all his countrymen, and not
for a generation, but for all time! A strange conception of justice!"

We can fully appreciate the irony of Rizal's observation if we look back in
retrospect to the men and events that together helped change the course of
our history in the last half century.

It was in 1898 that America, under McKinley, began active participation in
the affairs of Asia. This was the dawn of her "manifest destiny." The chance
for America to fall back on Washington's dictum: "We shall make war or peace
as our interest shall dictate ... it is folly in one nation to expect
disinterested favors from another . . . " It was in 1898 when McKinley
suddenly found the Philippines on his lap, and he had to implore divine
guidance, for he did not know what to do with us. He walked the floor of the
White House "night after night," and then, one night, it came to him this way:

I don't know how it was, but it came; 1) that we could not give them back to
Spain — that would be cowardly and dishonorable; 2) that we could not turn
them over to France or Germany — our commercial rivals in the Orient — that
would be bad business and discreditable; 3) that we could not leave them to
themselves — they were unfit for selfgovernment — and they would soon have
anarchy and misrule over there worse than Spain's was; and 4) that there was
nothing left for us to do but to take them all, and to educate the Filipinos,
and uplift and civilize and Christianize them, and by God's grace do the very
best we could by them, as our fellowmen for whom Christ also died. And then I
went to bed, and went to sleep and slept soundly ...

(Commented The Christian Advocate of New York City on January 22, 1903: "It
seems probable that McKinley confused the voice , of the people with the
voice of God, for he touched upon almost every string in the familiar harmony
of imperialism.")

This was a fateful turn in our destiny. Before this events had followed one
another with inexorable logic. Admiral Dewey destroyed the Spanish armada in
an hour's battle in Manila Bay losing one man. History books record this
battle as a major event in the Spanish-American war. However, historians can
find no justification for such action in the origin of the war with Spain.
The U.S. Congress resolution declaring war on Spain mentioned only Cuba.
There was nothing in its wording to indicate that Congress had any interest
in any territory other than Cuba. This resolution was passed on April 20,
1898. Yet it was only eleven days later that Dewey, rushing down from
Hongkong, attacked the Spanish fleet in Manila Bay — some 7,000 miles away
from the American continent. What was he doing at Hongkong at that particular
time? A few days later, McKinley authorized military operations to follow up
Dewey's naval victory. An army of occupation was dispatched to Manila. By
August, American troops took the city with only token opposition. An
eye-witness called it a prearranged farce.'[2] This action ended Spanish rule
and McKinley was faced with a soulsearching dilemma. Divine providence came
to his rescue.

What lay behind this turn of events? The motives remain obscure. But a number
of things on record shed some light on the question. It is known, George F.
Kerman says in American Diplomacy, that Theodore Roosevelt, then the young
Assistant Secretary of the Navy, had long felt that America should take the
Philippines; that he wangled Dewey's appointment to the command of the
Asiatic fleet; that both he and Dewey wanted war; and that he had a prior
understanding with Dewey to the effect that Dewey would attack Manila,
regardless of the circumstances of the origin or purpose of the war. Teodoro
Agoncillo writes in this connection:

At this critical moment, on February 25 (1898) Secretary (John) Long, weary
of the day's work, took his afternoon off. Roosevelt, acting as Secretary
that afternoon, took advantage of the temporary absence of his chief and
immediately cabled Dewey:

Order the squadron except the Monocacy to Hongkong. Keep full of coal. In the
event declaration of war Spain, your duty will be to see that the Spanish
squadron does not leave the Asiatic coast, and then offensive operations in
Philippine Islands. Keep Olympia until further orders.

The cable was sent to Dewey fully eight days after his arrival in Hongkong,
showing that Dewey knew precisely what was in the mind of Roosevelt ... (Malol
os, the Crisis of the Republic, p. 93.)

The imperialists at the time, the great "T.R." among them, maintained that
the Philippine action was a "contingent necessity," that is, unless America
took the Philippines, somebody else would, either the British or the Germans,
or the Japanese.

Whatever the motives, the ends justified the means. The American people of
that day, Kennan observes,

... simply liked the smell of empire and felt an urge to range themselves
among the colonial powers of the time, to see our flag flying on distant
tropical isles, to feel the thrill of foreign adventure and authority, to
bask in the sunshine of recognition as one of the great imperial powers of
the world. (American Diplomacy, p. 17.)

As one looks into the mirror and sees his god, so the United States put on
robes of empire and found them exceedingly flattering. It was in the year
1898 that America's "manifest destiny" took on imperial dimensions.

pps. 1-5
--[notes]--
1. A Philippine Embassy official in Washington reacted in this childish
fashion when President Eisenhower announced that 100,000 tons of the
700,000-ton cut in Cuba's sugar quota would go to the Philippines:
"Wonderful, wonderful! This is the greatest news since President Eisenhower's
visit to Manila. I am sure our people will be dancing with joy!" (Associated
Press dispatch, July 7, 1960.)

2. Richard BrinsIey Sheridan in The Filipino Martyrs, published in London,
1900.

-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.