Crime on the Labor Front
Malcom Johnson©1950
McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc.
New York.
243 pps. - First Edition - Out-of-Print
--[3]--
CHAPTER THREE
George Scalise and the Capone Mob

THE CAPONE GANG'S invasion of labor unions was not confined to Hollywood. At
about the same time the Hollywood shakedown was being conceived, the Chicago
gangsters began systematically to take over the locals of the Building
Service Employees International Union, an American Federation of Labor
affiliate. Its members included janitors, porters, elevator operators, and
charwomen employed in apartment houses, hotels, and office buildings in the
big cities. In a comparatively short time the mob succeeded in dominating the
entire union, installing its own international president and eliminating
opposition with the same ruthless efficiency that it had demonstrated while
rising to power during the prohibition era.

Once again the union members were the first victims, with no voice in what
happened to them or to their union. The workers became pawns, their union an
instrument of power for outside gangsters.

The home offices of the Building Service Employees International Union were
in Chicago, seat of power of the Capone gang. Before capturing the entire
union, the gang's domination of various locals in Chicago was accomplished by
bribery, intimidation, and threats. The international president, Jerry Horan,
was controlled by the gangsters, and after Horan died they named as his
successor George Scalise, a Brooklyn-bred gangster who had been serving as an
organizer and a vicepresident in the East. Scalise's introduction as an
officer of the union, three years before he attained the presidency, was
characteristic of the gang's contempt for the membership.

In July, 1934, Horan, the president, came to New York from Chicago, summoned
local officers to a meeting in Brooklyn, and introduced the plump, swarthy
Scalise, a professional criminal of long standing. "This is your new Eastern
vice-president, George Scalise," said Horan. That was all-no announcement of
an election, no questions asked. Most of the union officers who attended the
meeting did not know Scalise. They were to know him only too well before the
year was out. Those who had any decent regard for the welfare of the union
-and there were a few-were bitterly to regret that meeting. The most ironic
thing of all was that the meeting took place in the offices of a
strikebreaking agency which Scalise operated as a sideline to his union
racketeering activities.

After Horan died in April, 1937, the Capone mob named Scalise as the new
union president. Again there was no election. The decision was made by the
gangsters at a conference in a Chicago cafe. They passed the word on to the
union's executive board, which obediently announced that Scalise had been
named as Horan's successor.

Scalise had served a long apprenticeship as a labor racketeer and
professional criminal before reaching the big time. Officially his criminal
history began in 1913, when he was convicted of white slavery, legalistically
termed a violation of the Mann Act, and sentenced to four and a half years in
the Federal penitentiary. The charge involved a case of compulsory
prostitution in taking an eighteen-year-old Brooklyn girl to New Jersey and
compelling her to submit to men whom he solicited. Scalise proved then, and
later, that no crime was too low for him if there was profit in it. For more
than twenty years he was associated with such top gangsters as Capone, the
late Frankie Uale of Brooklyn (Capone's chief representative in the East),
Joey (Pretty) Amberg, Louis (Lepke) Buchalter, and Lepke's gorilla partner,
Jacob (Gurrah) Shapiro. Scalise's chief backer in Brooklyn in nominating him
as the mob's Eastern boss in the Building Service Employees Union was a
gangster known as Little Augie Pisano.

Before getting the nod from the Chicago syndicate, Scalise was active in
various union rackets, specializing in the dirty business of extortion.
Scalise's special twist to the old extortion game was employing strong-arm
men with fake police badges to extract cash from his victims. He organized
garage workers, fomenting strikes and accepting fees for settling the strikes
he started. He was vice-president of an automobile washers union, which he
operated in association with other criminals, and was active in a grocery
employees union, a beauty shop workers union, an Italian-American butchers
union, a dry cleaners union, a laundry workers union, and a dyehouse workers
union. All were rackets, and Scalise worked both sides of the street, renting
strikebreaking thugs and scabs to employers to oppose his own union members.

Scalise's strikebreaking activities constitute the most amazing phase of this
labor racketeer's amazing career. Through a criminal associate he operated a
strikebreaking agency, the Sentinel Service Company. Scalise first would sell
strike prevention insurance to employers under threats of strikes. If that
failed, the strikes were called and pickets thrown around the place. Then
Scalise, through his strikebreaking agency, would provide thugs to break the
strike he himself had started. Since he was already taking money from the
union members in the form of dues, this was a system of pitting employer
against union and extorting money from both. His ingenuity was surpassed only
by his unscrupulousness.

With Scalise in command in the East and with gunmen to enforce orders on the
home front in Chicago, the mob bad a strangle hold on the union within less
than a year from the day the Brooklyn gangster was introduced as "your new
Eastern vice-president." When the international union's convention was held
in Chicago in May, 1935, some of the country's best known thugs were in
attendance, including Machine Gun Jack McGurn, Baby Faced Nelson, and Machine
Gun Kelly. Brooklyn was represented by Scalise's sponsor, Little Augie
Pisano, who was accompanied by Joe Adonis, then, as now, rated as one of the
top representatives of the underworld.

Another active participant in the Chicago convention was a cocky swaggering
killer by the name of Louis (Two Gun) Alterie, president of the Theater
janitors local, and a voting delegate. A year before, in 1934, Two Gun Louis
had had the distinction of being among the delegates to the American
Federation of Labor convention in San Francisco as an official representative
of the Building Service Employees Union. His career as a gunman was well
known, for Alterie boasted of his open gun battles with rival mobsters on the
streets of Chicago. As a prosperous gangster and labor official, he owned an
expensive ranch near Phoenix, Arizona, to which he repaired when Chicago's
winter winds began to blow. What Alterie did not know, as he made his
boisterous presence felt at the convention, was that his activity in the
union soon was to end. The mob had other plans for him. In July, 1935,
Alterie was efficiently removed by blasts from sawed-off shotguns. That is
one of the few pleasant things about labor gangsters: they often kill each
other off.

While the poor deceived delegates cheered and shouted and enjoyed themselves
in that Chicago convention hall in 1935, the real bosses of the union pulled
the strings from a luxurious suite in the Bismarck Hotel. They included Frank
Nitti, Francis Maritote, Paul DeLucia, and Louis Campagona—the same group
which directed the Bioff-Browne shakedown of Hollywood. The union's campaign
of expansion was charted at that convention, and the next five years saw it
carried out to the accompaniment of a series of violent strikes. Whatever
else might be said of their new man in the East, George Scalise, he was a
good organizer. When Scalise became the Eastern vice-president there were
only eight locals, with a total of 1,41o members in that area. When he became
president in 1937 there were twenty-five locals and 13,915 members in the
East. When Scalise was forced to resign in 1940 there were thirty-eight
Eastern locals with a membership of more than 61,ooo. It is too bad that an
organizer of Scalise's exceptional ability could not have toiled for the
workers instead of against them.

In 1940, Thomas E. Dewey, then District Attorney of New York County, finally
caught up with Scalise and convicted him—for the first time since his
conviction on charges of white slavery in 1913. In May, 1940, he was indicted
for grand larceny, accused specifically of stealing $60,000 from the union's
treasury between May, 1937, and March 31, 1940. Actually he looted the union
of much more, and also shook down landlords for hundreds of thousands of
dollars. Evidence at the trial showed that he received a total of more than
$300,000 in salary and expenses from the union. The expenses covered such
pleasant union business as a sojourn in Havana with several other Capone
hirelings, Scalise paying the entire bill and charging it to the union. He
also was indicted in Chicago for embezzling $118,000 of union funds, and a
third time by the government for income-tax evasion.

One of the important witnesses against Scalise at his New York trial was his
chief assistant extortionist, one Izzy Schwartz, who was also under
indictment and whose previous record included convictions for grand larceny
and rape. The stocky, beady-eyed Schwartz established Scalise's link with the
Capone gangsters, described how they had elevated him to the presidency at
the Chicago cafe conference, and told how Little Augie Pisano of Brooklyn had
first sponsored Scalise as the union's Eastern vice-president. The agreement,
Schwartz said, was for Scalise to kick back half of everything he got,
including his salary, to the mob. Asked why he had held back the story until
his own indictment, Schwartz said he was afraid he might get shot. "I still
think I may be murdered for what I am doing," he said.

Martin W. Littleton, Scalise's attorney, expressed skepticism.

"That may be a shock to you, but it ain't no shock to me," blurted Schwartz.

Schwartz pleaded guilty to participating with Scalise in extorting at least
$100,000 from hotel and apartment house owners, under threats of strikes, but
he got off with a suspended sentence as a reward for his evidence against
Scalise. The latter was convicted and sentenced to a term of ten to twenty
years in prison. Scalise then pleaded guilty to incometax evasion and got
three years on one of three counts of the Federal indictment. The other two
counts are still hanging over him. In 1948 the government obtained a judgment
of $307,947 against him for back income taxes, interest, and penalties.

Long before Scalise's conviction it was generally known throughout organized
labor that the Building Service Union was controlled by the mob, with Scalise
as their front man. William Green, president of the American Federation of
Labor, knew it, or should have known it. Scalise's record as a procurer and
gangster was certainly no secret. Yet, instead of trying to remove this
blight on labor, Green, the respected and powerful labor leader, agreed to
sit down at the same conference table with Scalise. Scalise was the president
of an AFL union. That made it all right. It apparently did not matter too
much what else Scalise was or how he had become a union official. Instead of
trying to clean up the mess, the AFL hierarchy hid behind the time-honored
dodge of "local autonomy" which in so many cases covers a multitude of abuses
to which the top labor officials conveniently close their eyes. Even if
charges were preferred against the Building Service Union, the AFL would
refer them back to the international on the grounds of local autonomy. It is
a perfect setup for labor gangsters. Instead of expelling them from the AFL
and cleaning house, Green and the other labor moguls opened their arms to
criminals like Scalise and conferred with them on how best to further the
interests of the working man. The only working man who interested Scalise was
Scalise—and he never did an honest day's work in his life.

While Scalise was on trial in New York the Capone gang's technique in
capturing a union was dramatically exposed in Chicago by a dying union
leader, Matt Taylor, aged sixtynine, who had been active in labor for
thirty-nine years. For thirty-five of those years he was president of the
Chicago Elevator Operators Union, Local 66, under the jurisdiction of the
Elevator Constructors Union. Throughout his long career Taylor had been
regarded as an honest union official who had worked his way up through the
ranks.

In a sworn statement, dictated a few weeks before his death on September 7,
1940, Taylor described in detail how the mob, acting through Scalise and Tom
Burke, a vice-president of the Building Service Employees Union, had seized
his local, forced him out as president, and stolen $30,000 of the union's
funds under threats of death. Taylor charged that the mob had instigated the
murder of three rebellious labor racketeers and that he himself had been told
by Burke that he was "lucky to be alive." The Building Service Employees
Union wanted jurisdiction over Taylor's union of elevator operators in order
to give the Capone gang a strike weapon in Chicago's Loop buildings. The gang
started a pressure campaign against him in 1936, and their first weapon was
bribery. Describing a meeting with Building Service President Jerry Horan and
Louis Campagna, Capone gangster, Taylor said, "When we got through dinner,
Campagna threw a certified check for $50,000 at me. He said, 'Matt, I want
you to step out as president of the Elevator Operators Union, and we want to
take that union over, because we can help our cause then.' "

"You don't think I'd sell out for $50,000, do you?" Taylor replied. "I am
just building my local. I never sold out a union in my life."

"Matt, you are a damn fool. You'll regret it some day," said Campagna.

Taylor claimed in his sworn statement that political influence was exerted to
force him to transfer the jurisdiction of his union to the Capone-dominated
international. He said he learned of this influence while on his way back
from Washington, where he attended a dinner for James A. Farley, then
Postmaster-General in the Roosevelt cabinet. En route to Chicago he said he
talked with Harry Bates, international president of the bricklayers union and
a member of the AFL executive board. Bates told him (Taylor) that somebody
was putting a lot of pressure on Green, president of the AFL, to give Scalise
jurisdiction over all the elevator operators in the country. Taylor learned
that the pressure was being exerted by judge Oscar Nelson of the Cook County
Superior Court. He said he so informed Green at the AFL executive session at
Atlantic City in August, 1937. Scalise and judge Nelson were at the meeting.
After the meeting Taylor realized he was beaten. If Scalise and the mob had
both Green and judge Nelson on their side, there was only one thing left to
do. The next month he agreed to transfer his union to the Building Service
international, after receiving assurance from Scalise that he, Taylor, would
have autonomy and his rule would not be disturbed.

Thereafter, the mob intensified its campaign against Taylor. Four gunmen
robbed him Of $5,000 worth of bonds. He received repeated warnings that "the
mob is going to get you." He was told that Tom Burke was determined to seize
control ,of the local.

"I thought things over and I drew $3,000 from my personal account," Taylor
said. "I met my lawyer and said, 'I've got three grand here.' He said he
didn't think it would be enough, but he'd see what he could do."

"What did you pay the $3,000 for?"

"To call the heat off me," Taylor replied.

"Who did you believe the money was to go to eventually?"

"The mob."

Two or three days after paying the $3,000 Taylor said his lawyer instructed
him to go to Burke's office, where Burke greeted him by saying, "You have
come to your senses, haven't you? You want to go along, don't you?" Burke
stated his terms as follows, "We want 50 per cent of the union's money, a new
executive board, and I want a new treasurer. Your constitution is too strong."

"Where do I get off?" Taylor asked.

"You are lucky to be alive," Burke replied.

The plan was to install a gangster named Louis Schiavone as the new
treasurer, but Schiavone was murdered before he could take office. Taylor
said he believed his first payment of $3,000 had gone to Schiavone for the
mob, but that Schiavone had held out part of the money and that the gang had
ordered his execution. Two days after the murder, Taylor said he drew $3,000
from his union's treasury and paid it directly to Burke. Thereafter he paid
Burke installments totaling $30,000 from the union's funds. He did it to save
his life, although he knew he was under sentence of slow death from
tuberculosis and diabetes. After March, 1940, he rebelled and refused to pay
any more. His bitterness against Burke and Scalise was so great that he
planned to kill them both in a Chicago hotel, "but something went wrong."

Taylor's affidavit was made public by the Chicago authorities after his
death. judge Nelson pronounced the charges ridiculous insofar as they
pertained to him. In Washington, Green described the statement as "amazing,"
but denied he had exercised any influence in the transfer of Taylor's union.
"I had nothing to do with it," said Green. "It was done before I knew
it-through a vote, I was told, of Taylor's own local. I did not talk to
Taylor about it, and to the best of my recollection I never met him. Judge
Nelson never talked to me about the transfer either." Even if Green's
statement is true, it does not clear him of gross negligence and failure to
carry out the responsibilities of his office.

Taylor's charges caused a flurry of investigation, big headlines, optimistic
statements from the authorities, and not much else. The Chicago police
expressed the belief that the dying union leader had told the truth. But
Taylor was dead and there was no corroborating evidence. Burke, of course,
made a blanket denial of the charges and continued his activity in the union.

Further details of George Scalise's criminal activity in the Building Service
Employees Union were revealed by James J. Bambrick, a union official who,
like Taylor, became a victim of the mob. Bambrick was the founder and first
president of Local 32B of the Building Service Union in New York, which under
his leadership became the largest and most powerful local in the entire union.

Bambrick's story is a tragic one. An articulate, intelligent labor leader of
unquestioned ability, he had a long and honorable record in the labor
movement. He led Local 32B to a position of strength and stability in a
chaotic field, obtaining for its members notable gains in wages and working
conditions. But the mob, through Scalise, finally destroyed him, and Bambrick
went to prison for stealing union funds which he said were taken from him by
Scalise practically at the point of a gun. A proofreader and compositor by
trade, Bambrick was a business representative of Typographical Union No. 6
when he accepted an offer in January, 1934, to become general organizer for
Local 32, Manhattan Superintendents Union, an affiliate of the Building
Service Union. The plan was to organize all workers in Manhattan office
buildings, hotels, and apartment houses and to apply for a separate charter
from the Chicago parent organization, since Local 32's charter applied only
to superintendents and janitors. Bambrick was to work for a commission of
one-third of the initiation fees and dues of new members. From this agreement
it is easy to understand why labor organizing is a big business and attracts
criminals in the upper income brackets. Considering the thousands of workers
employed in Manhattan's skyscrapers, Bambrick, if successful, stood to make a
financial killing. He was successful, but he said he never collected a
fraction of what was due him. Scalise and the mob saw to that.

Bambrick ran into gangster trouble almost from the beginning, especially
after Scalise's introduction as the international union's Eastern
vice-president. The charter for Local 32B was granted in April, 1934, and Bamb
rick became its first president. The infant local selected Manhattan's
unionized billion-dollar Garment Center as its first test of strength. A
strike was planned in that area for November 1. To his dismay Bambrick
realized that the Garment Center also was the stronghold of the Lepke-Gurrah
mob and that this combination was working hand in glove with Scalise.

A few days before the strike was to begin Bambrick was asked to meet a
committee in a Garment Center loft building. It proved to be a committee of
one-Jacob Shapiro ("Gurrah" was Shapiro's nickname). A squat, hard-eyed man
with the face of a baboon, Gurrah was seated at a cutter's table when
Bambrick entered.

"Don't call no strike," Gurrah ordered, without any preliminaries. "We are
running this district."

Bambrick protested that the strike had been voted by the men and could not be
called off. Gurrah grinned lazily, waved a hand, and said, "Never mind that,
George (Scalise) will call you later."

Returning to his office, Bambrick found a note saying that Schwartz, the
union's "international representative" and Scalise's number one assistant,
wanted to see him that night. Bambrick met Schwartz, who calmly admitted that
he and Scalise were working with Lepke and Gurrah. The plan was to hold up
the building owners in the district for $1,000 a building as the price of
calling off the strike. "It's a cinch," Schwartz explained. "Everybody is
scared stiff of the LepkeGurrah mob." The loot would be about $300,000 and
Bambrick's share would be 25 per cent if he went along without any trouble.
Bambrick said that he refused and that Schwartz branded him as a fool to pass
up an easy bankroll. The next day he learned from the landlords that Lepke's
men had already been around to sell them "strike insurance" for $1,000 a
building. The owners told Bambrick's organizers that Scalise and Schwartz
were in on the shakedown. They predicted that the strike would be called off.

In this dilemma Bambrick first contemplated taking the whole extortion story
to the police and the newspapers. He decided against it because he feared
that it would demoralize the district and destroy a year's work by the union.
Moreover, he and other union officials admittedly were afraid of the
gangsters, though in retrospect Bambrick now feels, as he explains in his
book (The Building Service Story, privately published by the Labor History
Press), that he should have exposed them then, regardless of the
consequences. "It might have wrecked the union in the process," he says, "but
it also might have exterminated this racket vermin from the labor movement."
Instead, Bambrick decided to fight them another way, by calling the strike as
scheduled. There was violence with the Scalise crowd, but, with the help of
the unionized needle workers in the district in the form of sympathy
demonstrations and with the intervention of Mayor LaGuardia, Bambrick's local
won union recognition and its first closed-shop contract.

By the end of 1934, Local 32B had 7,000 members and 250 closed shop
contracts. Under Bambrick's leadership, the local won successive wage
increases in 1935, 1936, 1937, 1939, and 1940. Unlike Scalise, Bambrick was
working hard for his men. The development that five years later was to ruin
Bambrick's career came during a strike in March, 1936. It was preceded by a
series of events in which Scalise, according to Bambrick, increased his
pressure against Local 32B, tried to force Bambrick to allow the rackets,
staged internal disorders and demonstrations within the local, and openly
boasted that he controlled all the other locals and would destroy Bambrick
and 32B entirely if he did not get more cooperation.

According to Bambrick, Scalise met him in a restaurant in the Chanin Building
late on the afternoon of March 4 and announced, "The Boilermaker is going to
knock you off at 6 o'clock tonight." He identified "The Boilermaker" as a
gunman from Chicago. Scalise suggested that Bambrick needed protection and
that he, Scalise, could provide it. Instead of engaging Scalise's protection,
Bambrick appealed to the police, who assigned plain-clothes men to guard him
during the remainder of the strike.

"From that moment on," Bambrick said, "I lived in an atmosphere of stark
terror—trying to lead a strike and carry on negotiations—while fighting
against attempted shakedowns by these hoodlums all over town."

Furthermore, Bambrick said he had to contend with political interference and
crooked policemen as well as the open gangsterism of Scalise. The cops knew
of the extortions and the other rackets, and the price of their silence was
cash on the line. Highly placed politicians and public officials were in
collusion with Scalise. They were willing to sit down with him, talk with
him, and ask favors of him, in spite of his known criminal record. During a
strike by building-service workers in one big Manhattan building, Bambrick
said he received a telephone call from a State Supreme Court justice,
demanding that Bambrick order the men back to work. It developed that the
judge was a big stockholder in the building.

"I can't do that, judge, against the wishes of the men who voted this
strike," Bambrick said he replied. "It's their decision and I can't sell them
out." The judge threatened him, Bambrick said. An hour later Bambrick
received a telephone call from Scalise, who was in Chicago. Scalise
threatened him and cursed him for "pushing around my friend, judge

Despite this pressure, Bambrick said, the strike continued and the men won a
wage increase.

His continued resistance to Scalise finally got Bambrick in trouble with the
international union, which brought him up on charges of "exceeding his
authority." They postponed disciplinary action when publicity on the Capone
gang's activity in the union was just breaking in the Chicago newspapers.
Later, an attempt was made on Bambrick's life, but the thugs assaulted one of
Bambrick's colleagues by mistake, a vicepresident of Local 32B, in the
darkness at Bambrick's door.

As further evidence of political interference, Bambrick said that during
contract negotiations for workers in a large prominent building, a State
Senator brought pressure to bear upon him. The politician accosted Bambrick
in a corridor and told him that the $3 wage increase sought by the men was
out. "I have just talked with Little Augie Pisano by telephone in Florida,
and he says the men can't have $3. He says that a $1 raise is tops and that I
am to tell you that. That's Pisano's orders." Bambrick replied that it was up
to the men to decide, that he was only representing them. The politician
answered, "I also want you to know that I have had a talk with Lucky Luciano
in Dannemora prison. He's not going to like this either." Nevertheless,
Bambrick said, the men held out and won their $3 increase.

The blow that finished Bambrick fell in March, 1941, nearly a year after
Scalise's conviction. Bambrick was indicted for stealing $10,000 of his
union's funds. At that time Local 32B boasted more than 19,000 paid-up
members, closed shop contracts covering 3,000 buildings, and nearly $282,000
in the treasury. It was the largest and strongest local in the international
union. In court Bambrick in tears pleaded guilty and told his story of how
Scalise extorted the money from him during the strike of March, 1936, as the
price of preventing a Chicago gunman from killing him. The union's books were
doctored to make it appear that the local was making a loan of $10,000 to the
international union. The sum Of $7,500 was paid in checks signed by Bambrick
and David Sullivan, then the secretary-treasurer of the local.

What happened to the remaining $2,500 is open to question. The court
evidently felt that Bambrick kept it, although he denies it. Bambrick told me
that Scalise got it in cash and returned it to him in varying sums with
instructions to pay off other extortion demands, including those of the
grafting policemen who knew of the racket setup and Scalise's shakedowns.
Unfortunately for him, Bambrick has no way now of proving his story. On his
plea of guilty he was sentenced

to a term of one to two years in prison. Later, in another court action, it
was revealed that Scalise used part Of $32,000 he stole from the union to
hire lawyers for his own defense. Here was a case in which the dues-paying
members not only were robbed by thieving racketeers, but were forced in
addition to pay for the gangsters' efforts to escape justice when caught!

Commenting on Bambrick's case on the day he was sentenced, District Attorney
Dewey said:

The crime to which Bambrick has pleaded guilty illustrates one of the great
dangers resulting from the domination of unions and union officials by
gangsters. The defendant, Bambrick, for many years apparently was a
legitimate labor leader with a long record in behalf of labor. Then he went
into the Building Service Union. Thereafter this international union brazenly
made a professional criminal, George Scalise, its president. Forced to take
orders from the Capone mob and Scalise, Bambrick at first resisted and then
succumbed. Eventually, in some situations such as the one before the court
today, he became a coconspirator with Scalise.

An interesting facet of the case involves the alleged collusion of an
official in Dewey's office with Bambrick's enemies in the union. Without
denying his guilt, but pleading extenuating circumstances, Bambrick has
always contended that a "deal" was engineered by an assistant district
attorney in Dewey's office to remove him from the presidency of Local 32B. He
based his contention on the following:

In February, 1941, before Bambrick's indictment, Frank Gold, a minor official
in the union, was convicted on ten counts of extorting more than $5,000 from
building owners. On December 2, 1941, after Bambrick had gone to prison, Gold
got off with a suspended sentence on the recommendation of Assistant District
Attorney Victor J. Herwitz, who said that Gold had given evidence against
Bambrick and others. As an assistant on Dewey's staff, Herwitz had obtained
the indictments against Scalise, Bambrick, and other officials of the union.
In February, 1942, some months after David Sullivan's election as president
of Local 32B succeeding Bambrick, Herwitz suddenly resigned from the District
Attorney's office with the announcement that he had been hired as counsel to
Local 32B, the union he had investigated and whose officials he had
prosecuted.

On February 15, 1943, Hyman Palatnik, another minor union official who also
had been indicted for extortion, filed a suit charging that Herwitz, while
serving as assistant district attorney, had conspired with Sullivan to get
control of the local; if Bambrick was removed and Sullivan elected in his
place, Herwitz would be appointed as the union's counsel at a fee ranging
from $33,000 to $40,000 a year; and as part of the alleged conspiracy
Sullivan was "to receive immunity for alleged criminal acts" if in return
Sullivan, after his election as president, would retain Herwitz.

Naming Herwitz, Sullivan, and the union as defendants, Palatnik asked for
restoration of his job at $75 a week, back pay, and damages of $6,400,
claiming that he lost the job as a result of the alleged conspiracy. Palatnik
said he was persuaded to resign his position in the union on the promise that
the extortion indictment against him would be dismissed. Herwitz wanted him
to resign, according to Palatnik, because he "found it indelicate" to accept
a retainer as counsel to the union while Palatnik was still both an official
and under indictment. Palatnik said he resigned on February 9, 1942, with the
understanding that he would be reinstated. Herwitz was named as the union's
counsel the very next day, and the indictment against Palatnik was dismissed,
with the official explanation that Palatnik had cooperated in the
investigation.

In furtherance of the conspiracy, Palatnik alleged in his complaint that
Herwitz, with the active cooperation of Sullivan, obtained the indictment of
Bambrick, then plotted to have Sullivan elected as president of the union. At
a conference in the Hotel Lincoln, it was charged, Herwitz asked Sullivan who
else might be a strong candidate against him. Sullivan replied that George
Planson, manager of the local's employment bureau, would be such a candidate
and that it would be necessary to eliminate him. Herwitz summoned Planson to
his office and told him he could either resign from his position in the union
or face indictment on criminal charges. Planson resigned, and Sullivan was
elected president in September, 1941.

Herwitz and Sullivan never had to face the conspiracy charges. The suit was
dismissed when it was disclosed that Palatnik had received a sum of money,
which was construed as a release at the time of his resignation. However, an
attorney, David Ashe, retained by the rank and file of local 32B, brought
charges against Herwitz before the Bar Association in an effort to have him
disbarred. This time Herwitz went into the Army, remained out of civilian
life for three years, and on his return the charges were not pressed. In a
statement published in the newspaper PM on November 22, 1943, Ashe,
commenting on the conspiracy allegations, said: "Whatever the facts may be,
the situation is such that it calls for a full, impartial, and open
investigation . . . the membership of the union and the public generally are
entitled to an explanation, which only a public investigation can give."

On the same date the newspaper published an excerpt of a letter written by
George Riddock, a member of Local 32B, appealing to Governor Dewey for a
public investigation and revealing that he had protested to Dewey, as
District Attorney, on the conspiracy charges. "By promptly ordering a public
investigation of this scandal you will earn the everlasting gratitude of the
25,000 members of the union who are being irreparably harmed and whose
treasury is being milked by this unholy tie-up," Riddock wrote. "I am
enclosing for your information a photostatic copy of a registered letter of
protest I sent you on May 2 3, 1941, when the rumor of this alleged
conspiracy first appeared in the public press."

A spokesman for Dewey said that the Governor had "no comment" to make on
Riddock's letter. Those two words, "no comment," constitute a device which
politicians sometimes use when faced with embarrassing questions they do not
choose to answer. Dewey throughout his public career has worked the device
overtime.

Local 32B was torn by factional strife for years after Sullivan's election as
president. Sullivan was under fire almost constantly, the rank and file
accusing him of accepting kickbacks and taking money to call off pickets in
strikes. The Palatnik conspiracy charges also were a storm center of
controversy. Sullivan was brought up on charges before the international
union, but in a series of frantic maneuvers he succeeded in enjoining the
international from rendering a final decision in his case. Meanwhile the rank
and file Of 32B were completely neglected by their leaders. What did the
union do for its members in the way of collecting back pay due them under the
Fair Labor Standards Act? Not a thing. Several thousand of them engaged their
own labor attorney to press their claims, and they won.

Here was an outrageous bit of business. The workers thus ignored included
middle-aged scrubwomen, working by night with their brushes and pails in
Manhattan's skyscrapers. Scrubwomen work alone, seldom seen, ignored and
forgotten, except when their union payments are due. Many of these women are
the sole support of large families. Yet part of their hard-earned money goes
to support faithless union leaders who do not even bother to collect money
due them in back pay.

The union bosses even had the temerity to suspend one rank and filer, Peter
McManus, when he charged that Sullivan deliberately and knowingly had refused
to render the services of the union's legal department in the collection of
the back pay claims. Two other members were similarly expelled for making
rebellious statements about fighting to "free Local 32B." They were
reinstated by the international at the request of more than 5,000 indignant
members, over the violent objections of Sullivan and Herwitz, who insisted
that they should be disciplined for attending an "outlaw meeting."

Strange are the ways of politics and politicians! As District Attorney it was
Tom Dewey who prosecuted Scalise and exposed the Building Service Union as a
racket union controlled by the Capone gangsters. In the presidential election
campaign Of 1948, the first union to announce its support of the Republican
candidate, Tom Dewey, was the same Building Service Union. On September 9,
1948, Governor Dewey received a delegation from the union headed by William
L. McFetridge, who had succeeded Scalise as president. McFetridge presented
to the Governor a resolution adopted by the union's executive board indorsing
Dewey's candidacy. One of the members of that board then, as now, was Tom
Burke, first vice-president, who had been linked many times in testimony with
Scalise.

"The action of the governing body of the Building Service Employees Union was
the fruit of conferences between Mr. Dewey and Mr. McFetridge and David
Sullivan, president of Local 32B, held here in mid-August," The New York
Times reported solemnly.

Candidate Dewey, the former racket buster and crusader, looked pleasant while
being photographed with the union delegation, and said, "I am deeply
gratified by the expression of confidence by one of the greatest unions in
America. Mr. McFetridge, Mr. Sullivan, and many of the others are old friends
and we have had a happy relationship over the years."

The sordid story of the Building Service Union in the days of Scalise and
Bambrick is an incredibly complete digest of criminal activity in unions. The
big-time gangsters (Capone's friends) placed one of their stooges (George
Scalise) high in the union hierarchy as Eastern vice-president by means of a
rigged election. Once there, Scalise stole from the union treasury, extorted
large sums from building owners, and ignored completely the welfare of his
men. Two honest local officers (James Bambrick and Matt Taylor) were bribed
and threatened and finally broken by the gang, and an assistant district
attorney in Dewey's office was legally charged of having been in collusion
with Bambrick's enemies inside his union. The building owners, from whom
Scalise extorted huge sums, put up no resistance at all, but merely passed
the burden of their payments on to the public in higher rents.

The Building Service case defines an almost universal pattern for labor
gangsterism.

pps. 34-54
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,