</A> -Cui Bono?-

Friday January 28 2:45 AM ET
Australia Scientists Plan Measles-Modified Food
By Wendy Pugh

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australian scientists are researching putting a measles
gene into genetically modified food to provide an alternative to traditional
vaccination against the virus.

Alfred Hospital infectious disease unit director Stephen Wesselingh said a
research team had successfully created measles modified tobacco and was now
putting the gene into lettuce.

``We started with tobacco just because it is very easy to work with and grows
quickly, and we mashed up the leaves and fed them to mice. Now we are moving
into lettuce and rice,'' he told Reuters.

``We have been working on it for the past two or three years and we have been
getting positive results for the last six months or so.''

Wesselingh said the research by the Alfred team and the Commonwealth
Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) would provide a
cheaper vaccine, that avoided using needles and which didn't need to be kept
at cold temperatures.

``That is not a problem in Australia, but in the countries where measles is a
big problem, in Africa etc, keeping the vaccine cold can sometimes be a major
difficulty,'' he said.

The researchers are looking to use crops where existing genetically modified
organism research has already been successfully conducted.

Wesselingh said in the tobacco experiments the H protein of the measles virus
was placed in the plant.

``The plant is then making all its normal leaves and things, but it is also
making this extra protein,'' he said.

``When we feed the leaves of that plant to mice, those mice then develop
antibodies against the H protein, which is part of the measles virus so those
antibodies then protect against measles as well.''

Rice Offers Potential

Wesselingh said rice offered great potential as the measles vaccination could
be used in rice flour milk produced for children who are not covered by the
current measles vaccination.

Release of measles modified food was still a ``long way down the track,'' he
said, with trials in people likely to start sometime in the next five years.

Wesselingh said the modified food would be treated as a medical product and
would not be available for mass consumption.

``These crops wouldn't be generally released. You would make them in special
areas and then distribute them in the same way you would distribute other
vaccines,'' he said. ``I think that would allay a lot of the GM-type fears.''

Similar research has also been conducted in the United States for hepatitis B
and cholera and the Melbourne-based team is starting to look at genetic
modification for the HIV virus, which can lead to AIDS.

Wesselingh said the Melbourne research had focused on measles as it was still
a major health problem in the developing world.

``About a million children still die of measles each year and most of those
are under the age of one and the current vaccine doesn't work in very young
children,'' he said.

``We felt that an oral vaccine that could work in very young children might
be a way to arrest that problem.''