From Austin-American Herald 2-1-00:

 A Republican-leaning independent, Kiernan is trying to decide
 between McCain and Bradley. And Bush? She grilled him about
 something that means a lot to her when he came by the gym last
 week.

 "I feel that . . . he would pass a law that the military could not
 practice Wicca,and I'm not willing to give up my rights of religious
 freedom," said Kiernan, who lived in Austin until 1993 while her
 husband, Michael, was stationed at nearby Fort Hood. " I like
 Bush. He's a very nice man. The time I spoke with him he told me
 he was not informed for making that statement. He still has
 until November to redeem himself."

 With Kiernan, at least, Bush is still paying for a statement he
 made last year that Wicca -- whose practitioners call themselves
 witches and believe in the dual deity of god and goddess -- is not a
 religion and should not be practiced on military bases.
 </XMP>