</A> -Cui Bono?-

http://www.alientribe.com/abduct029.html

The Controllers part 3

A New Hypothesis of Alien Abduction - part 4 of 7
by Martin Cannon
Candy was one such success story. Success, in this context, means that she
could be -- and was -- brutally tortured and abused while running
assignments for the CIA. All the MKULTRA toys were brought into play:
hypnosis, drugs, conditioning -- and electronics. Using these devices,
Jensen and Burger managed to: -- install a "duplicate personality," --
create amnesia of both the programming sessions and the field
assignments, -- turn Candy into a vicious, hate-mongering bigot, the better
to isolate her from the rest of humanity (previously, her associates
considered her noteworthy for her racial tolerance; her modelling agency was
one of the first to break the color barrier), and -- program her to commit
suicide at the end of her usefulness to the Agency. The programming
techniques used on her were flawed. She breached security when she married
famed New York radio personality John Nebel[118], who, using hypnotic
regression, elicited the long-repressed truth. Eventually, the "Other Candy"
was bade farewell, and the programming broken.

Skeptics might find Candy's story as incredible as the abduction accounts--
after all, an amateur had conducted her hypnotic regression, and the
possibility of confabulation always lurks. Nevertheless, I feel that the
veracity of her narrative has been established beyond reasonable doubt. In
her hypnotic regression sessions, she recalled being programmed at a
government-connected institute in northern California -- which, as John
Marks' investigators later proved, was indeed heavily involved with
government-funded brainwashing research[119]. Marks himself believes Candy's
story -- not least, because the details of the programming methods used on
her were substantiated by documents released AFTER her book was
published[120]. Interviews with Milton Kline, Dr. Frances Jakes, John
Watkins and others provided the testimony that the programming of Candy
Jones was feasible -- and Deep Trance substantiated the story[121].

Recently, the case has received important "indirect" confirmation:
Investigators interested in follow-up research have filed FOIA requests with
the CIA for all papers relating to Candy Jones. The agency admits that it
has a substantial file on her, but refuses to release any part of it. If her
tale is false, then why would the CIA be so reluctant to deliver the
information? Indeed, why would they have a file in the first place?[122]

The final confirmation of Candy's tale requires a revelation -- one which I
make with some trepidation, even though the individual named is dead.

"Marshall Burger" was really Dr. William Kroger[123].

Kroger, long associated with the espionage establishment, had written the
following in 1963:

...a good subject can be hypnotized to deliver secret information. The
memory of this message could be covered by an artificially-induced amnesia.
In the event that he should be captured, he naturally could not remember
that he had ever been given the message...however, since he had been given a
post-hypnotic suggestion, the message would be subject to recall through a
specific cue.[124]

If Candy confabulated her story, why did she name this particular scientist,
who, writing theoretically in 1963, predicted the subsequent events in her
life?[125]

After L'AFFAIR JONES, Kroger transferred his base of operations to UCLA --
specifically, to the Neuropsychiatric Institute run by Dr. Louis Jolyon
West, an MKULTRA veteran. There he wrote HYPNOSIS AND BEHAVIOR
MODIFICATION[126], with a preface by Martin Orne (another MKULTRA veteran)
and H.J. Eysenck (still another MKULTRA veteran). The finale of this opus
contains chilling hints of the possibilities inherent in combining hypnosis
with ESB, implants, and conditioning -- though Kroger is careful to point
out that "we are not concerned that man might be conditioned by rewards and
punishments through electronic brain stimulation to be controlled like
robots."[127] HE may not be concerned -- but perhaps WE ought to be.

The control of Candy Jones gives us much information useful to our "alien
abduction" hypothesis.

1. Her torture sessions -- inflicted during her programming by her CIA
masters, and on missions by as-yet mysterious persons -- seem strikingly
like the otherwise senselessly painful "examinations" allegedly conducted
aboard alien spacecraft.

2. Her personality shifts roughly parallel those experienced by certain UFO
abductees.

3. Despite her brutalization, she remained "loyal" to Drs. Jensen and
Burger. This bewildering behavior reminds me of my first abductee
interviews, during which I heard ghastly descriptions of UFO torture
sessions -- followed by protestations of limitless love for the alien
pain-mongers.

4. Like many abductees, Candy had to attend regular "conditioning" sessions.
Repeated exposure to the programming is necessary to effect continuous
control.

5. To maintain their hammerlock on her mind, Candy's handlers programmed her
to remain isolated. Specifically, they instilled a deep paranoia toward
other human beings; "outsiders" were probable enemies, out to use or abuse
her. I have seen this pattern consistently in my own work with
abductees[128]. Skeptics would argue that unreasonable abductee fears
probably indicate paranoid schizophrenia--one symptom of which can, indeed,
be hallucinatory experiences. But most abductees are easily hypnotized,
while paranoid schizophrenics are extremely difficult to "put under,"
according to Dr. Edward Simpson-Kallas, a psychiatrist with wide experience
in the area of forensic hypnosis[129]. If, however, those unreasonable fears
had been hypnotically induced, the contradiction is resolved.

6. Candy was the product of an unhappy childhood, hence her propensity
toward multiple personality[130]. Many of the "repeater" abductees I have
interviewed had similarly depressing family histories[131].

7. The story of Candy Jones also has what we might call a "negative
relevance" to the abduction accounts. Because the Controllers did not
establish a hypnotic cover story, or pseudo- memory, the true facts of the
case managed to percolate into her conscious mind. No matter how thorough
the post-hypnotic amnesia, leaks will occur -- hence the need for a false
memory, to fill the gap of recollection. The CIA learns from its mistakes.
Candy's hypno-programming broke down in early 1973 -- the year the "alien
disguise" became (if my hypothesis proves correct) standard operating
procedure[132]. (Milton Kline accepted the Candy Jones story, but considered
the job amateurish and inconsistent with the best work done at that
time[133]. Perhaps the major fault was the lack of a pseudo-memory cover
story?)

BASES OF SUSPICION

"Underground base" rumors are as hot as jalapenos in the UFO field right
now, and several of these stories involve abductions.

For example, a sideshow of the famous Bentwaters UFO case involves the
abduction of an airman named Larry Warren to an underground cavity beneath
the military base. There, while in what he later described as "a bit of a
drugged state," he saw aliens and human beings -- military figures --
working side-by-side[134].

I have spoken to another abductee, Nancy Wright, who was allegedly taken to
an underground chamber ten miles north of Edwards AFB, California. As this
was a multiple- witness event, and Ms. Wright has not attempted to
capitalize on the story for financial gain, I tend to credit her story[135].
According to abduction researcher Miranda Parks, an elderly couple living in
the vicinity was also abducted in an exactly similar fashion[136].

In 1979, Paul Bennewitz and Leo Sprinkle researched a particularly
controversial abduction involving a young woman (name unrevealed) who was
apparently taken to a facility where aliens processed fluids and body parts
from a cattle mutilation. This investigation seems to have led to the
government harassment of Bennewitz, in which some form of mind control (or,
as I have previously referred to it, "electronic GASLIGHT") may have played
a part[137].

How do we account for these tales of alleged alien skullduggery carried out
in conjunction with the military? I, for one, cannot credit the generally
unsubstantiated tales of "cosmic conspiracy" now promulgated by
ex-intelligence agents such as John Lear and William Cooper. While I cannot
assert insincerity on the part of these men, I often wonder if they have
been used as conduits -- wittingor unwitting -- in a sophisticated
disinformation scheme.

A simpler, though no less chilling, explanation for the "base" abductions
may be found in the story of Dr. Louis Jolyon West, now notorious for his
participation in MKULTRA experiments with LSD[138]. Inspired by VIOLENCE AND
THE BRAIN (a book by Drs. Frank Ervin and Vernon H. Mark which ascribed
inner city turmoil to a "genetic defect" within rebellious blacks), West
proposed, in 1973, a Center for the Study and Reduction of Violence, where
potentially violent individuals could be dealt with prophylactically. ["I
was cured, all right." - A CLOCKWORK ORANGE -jpg]

And who were these individuals? According to West's proposal, the noteworthy
factors indicating a violent predisposition were "sex (male), age
(youthful), ethnicity (black) and urbanicity." How to deal with them? "...by
implanting tiny electrodes deep within the brain, electrical activity can be
followed in areas that cannot be measured from the surface of the scalp...it
is even possible to record bioelectrical changes in the brains of
freely-moving subjects, through the use of remote monitoring techniques..."
By monitoring the subjects' EEGs remotely, potentially violent episodes
could be identified.

For our purposes, the most significant aspect of this proposal had to do
with location. In a secret communication to Dr. J.M. Stubblebine, director
of the California State Department of Health (fortunately, this missive was
"leaked" to the public), West disclosed that he intended to house his Center
in an abandoned Nike missile base, whose location was accessible yet
relatively remote. "The site is securely fenced," West wrote. "Comparative
studies could be carried out there, in an isolated but convenient location,
of experimental model programs, for the alteration of undesirable
behavior."[139]

Public outcry stopped these plans. But was this scheme truly eliminated? Or
was it merely modified, stripped (temporarily) of its overtly racial
overtones and relocated to some less-accessible spot?

One thing is certain: A CIA "spy-chiatrist" favored secret behavior control
experimentation in a remote military installation. Perhaps someone within
the espionage establishment's mind-modification divisions still thinks
highly of the idea. If so, the disposal problem would once again rear its
ugly head, should "visitors" to these installations ever reappear in outside
society. Again, a hypno-programmed cover story -- the less believable, the
better -- would prove invaluable.

THE SCANDINAVIAN CONNECTION

Many books have been written about abductees, yet few exist about the
victims of mind control. I cannot understand this situation; the reality of
UFOs is still controversial, yet the existence of mind control was verified
in two (heavily compromised) congressional investigations and in thousands
of FOIA documents. Nevertheless, the abductees find many a sympathetic ear,
while those few who dare to proclaim themselves the victims of known
government programs rarely find anyone to hear them out. Our prejudices on
this score are regrettable, for if we listened to the "controllees" we would
hear many details strikingly similar to those mentioned by UFO abductees.

Two cases in point: Martti Koski and Robert Naeslund.

Koski, a Finnish citizen, claims to have been a victim of mind control
experimentation while visiting Canada. Shortly after his experience began,
he attempted to broadcast his situation to the world and draw attention to
his plight. Few listened. Many of his details were bizarre, and not being a
native speaker of English, he could not express himself convincingly to
those he approached for help. Yet many aspects of his story correspond
closely to known details of MKULTRA and related programs.

Naeslund, a Swedish citizen, tells a similar story. Moreover, his claims
were backed by special evidence: X-rays revealed an implant in his brain.
Naeslund actually went to the extreme of having his implant tested by
electronic technicians employed by Hewlett-Packard. A Greek surgeon
performed the necessary trepanation to remove the device.

Many aspects of the Koski and Naeslund stories correspond to my hypothesis.
Koski, for example, was at one point told that the doctors afflicting him
were actually "aliens from Sirius." At another point, he was led to believe
that he was under direction of "the Lord." (As I previously indicated,
manipulation of religious imagery could help induce anti-social behavior;
the subject's super-ego can be nullified if he believes that he follows
commands from on high. Such manipulation may explain the more bizarre
aspects of Betty Andreasson Luca's abduction[140].)

Naeslund's implant was originally placed through his nasal cavity. He first
realized that something terrible had happened to him after an experience of
missing time, followed by an INEXPLICABLE NOSEBLEED.

This detail will be instantly familiar to anyone who has studied abductions;
I have encountered it in my own conversations with abductees. For an
excellent example in the UFO literature, I refer the reader to the case of
Susan Ransted, as detailed in Kevin D. Randle's THE UFO CASEBOOK[141]; the
background of alleged contactee Diane Tessman is also noteworthy in this
regard[142]. Intriguingly, I have located a reference in the open literature
to the use, in animal study, of nasally-implanted electrodes for the
measurement of electro-magnetic radiation effects[143].

There are other claimed mind control victims bearing evidence of implants;
note, especially, the fascinating case of James Petit, a CIA-connected pilot
and alleged brainwashing alumnus; X-rays of his cranium have revealed
abductee-style implants -- fitting, perhaps, since his body bears
abductee-style scars. [144] Conversely, certain abductees will, if allowed a
thorough and sympathetic hearing, deliver testimony strongly agreeing with
Koski's narrative.

HELICOPTERS AND DISKS

The bizarre story of Rex Niles and his sister (not named in news accounts)
may shed interesting light on a variety of abductee cases, particularly that
of Betty and Barney Hill[145]. Niles, the high-rolling owner of a Woodland
Hills defense subcontracting firm (Rex Rep) was fingered by authorities
investigating defense industry kickbacks. He became an extraordinarily
cooperative witness in the investigation -- until he was targeted by his
enemies, who allegedly used psychoelectronics as harassment.

The following excerpt from the LOS ANGELES TIMES article on Niles is
particularly compelling:

He [Niles] produced testimony from his sister, a Simi Valley woman who
swears that helicopters have repeatedly circled her home. An engineer
measured 250 watts of microwaves in the atmosphere outside Niles' house and
found a RADIOACTIVE DISK UNDERNEATH THE DASH OF HIS CAR [my italics].

A former high school friend, Lyn Silverman, claimed that her home computer
went haywire when Niles stepped close to it.

No aliens in this story -- yet how similar it is to tales of alien
abduction! The low-flying helicopters, of course, are frequently reported by
abduction victims -- the Betty Andreasson Luca case provides the best-known
example[146]. The haywire electronics equipment is also frequently
encountered in putative abduction cases; I have spoken (independently) to
three women who claimed to have been able to disturb or shut off televisions
and stereos simply by walking past the devices; one woman even claimed she
had switched off her TV simply by pointing at it.

But the radioactive disc is especially intriguing. As former FBI agent Ted
Gunderson recently explained to my associate Alexander Constantine, magnetic
radioactive discs have long been used by the clandestine services as cancer-
inducing "silent killers" -- i.e., as tools of assassination. Not only that.
The disc calls to mind one little-remembered detail of the Hill  case -- the
dozen-or-so circular "shiny spots," each the size of a silver dollar, found
on the trunk of her car directly after the abduction. A compass needle
reacted wildly when placed near these spots. Could they have marked the
location where an electromagnetic or radioactive device, similar to that
found by Niles, was placed on the car? (Such a device might have been held
to the spot magnetically, hence the circular impressions.) If so, then the
disorienting EMR could have helped induce the Hills' "UFO sighting."

THE MILITARY AND MIND CONTROL

Some time ago, I attended hypnotic regression sessions in which the
subject -- a claimed UFO abductee -- recalled undergoing a mysterious "brain
operation" at a veteran's hospital in California. The operation was
performed by human beings, not aliens. Interestingly, this same hospital was
mentioned in two other cases I encountered. These other claims were not made
by abductees, but by people alleged to have been victims of mind control
experimentation.

One of these claimants, a former Navy SEAL who undertook numerous dangerous
missions in Vietnam, favorably impressed me with the wealth of detail in his
story[147]. This individual -- I've taken to calling him "the trained
SEAL"-- had received specialized combat training at a military base in
California; he claims that at one point during this training he was drugged,
hypnotized, possibly placed under some form of electronic control, and
subjected to the extremes of pain/pleasure operant conditioning. One
peculiar detail of his story concerns the "reward" aspect of the
conditioning: When properly acquiescent, he was given unlimited sexual
access to a woman who, the SEAL avers, was herself the victim of
brainwashing.

Unbelievable as this last claim may seem, I found it oddly resonant when I
later interviewed a prominent abductee in the Southern California area, who
bravely offered me details on a puzzling, albeit quite delicate, incident in
her past. Still an attractive woman, she recalled for me -- indeed, seemed
strangely compelled to describe -- an early love affair with a young soldier
training at a military base near her home. She cannot recall the soldier's
name. All she remembers is that one day he started LIVING AT HER FAMILY'S
HOUSE; she has no memory of how the arrangement began, and her parents have
never felt comfortable discussing the matter. Although unattracted to this
soldier, she felt compelled to become intimate with him, adopting a pliant,
obeisant attitude that was quite out of character for her. Later, the
soldier went on to covert missions in Vietnam.

Of course, a young person's psycho-sexual development is never smooth, and
the incident related above may merely have represented one peculiarly
upsetting bump in that notoriously rough road. Still, some of the details of
this story -- particularly the parents' attitude, the woman's personality
shift, and her subsequent memory lapses -- are striking, and I treat with
respect the abductee's intuition that this minor enigma in her personal
history could, if properly understood, shed light on her later "missing
time" experiences.

Could the "trained SEAL" have been right? Was there, IS there, a coterie of
hypno-programmed soldiers conducting particularly hazardous missions? And do
the programmers have at their disposal a "ladies' auxiliary," so to speak,
of hypnotized camp followers?

If the SEAL's story stood alone, skeptics could easily dismiss it (provided
they did not sit, as I did, face-to- face with the story's teller, listening
to all the grisly and unsettling details). But other veterans have added
their voices to this grim tale. Daniel Sheehan, of the Christic Institute,
claims that his organization has spoken to half-a-dozen individuals with
narratives similar to my SEAL informant. All had received "processing," so
to speak, within the context of standard military training; after
programming and specialized combat instruction by mercenaries, the recruits
were placed "on hold," to be used as situations arose -- and some of those
situations occurred within the United States[148].

Walter Bowart began his own researches into mind control by placing an ad in
SOLDIER-OF-FORTUNE-style publications, asking for correspondence from
veterans who experienced inexplicable lapses in memory or strange behavior
modification techniques while serving in Vietnam; he received over 100
replies. Bowart devoted an entire chapter to one of these respondents -- an
Air Force veteran named David, who ended his four-year tour of duty
recalling only that he had spent the time "having fun, skin diving, laying
on the beach, collecting shells...It never dawned on me until later that I
must have DONE something while I was in the service." (An obvious example of
screen memory.) He was also "assigned" a girlfriend whose name he cannot now
recall, despite the length and deep intimacy of the affair[149]. The
parallels to the SEAL's story and the abductee's account should be obvious.

We even have a confession, of sorts, from a scientist who specialized in one
aspect of this sort of training. Lt. Commander Thomas Narut, of the U.S.
Naval Hospital at the NATO headquarters in Naples, Florida, admitted during
a lecture in Oslo that recruits in Naples underwent CLOCKWORK-ORANGE-style
behavior modification sessions. Trainees would be strapped into chairs with
their eyelids clamped open while watching films of industrial accidents and
African circumcision ceremonies -- films frequently used by psychologists as
a means of inducing stress in experimental situations. Unlike the
protagonist in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, who learned revulsion at the sight of
violence, Narut's soldiers were taught to accept and enjoy bloodshed, to
view it with equanimity. Similar techniques were used to dehumanize
potential enemies. Graduates of this program became, in Narut's words, "hit
men and assassins," to be placed in American embassies throughout the world.

When questioned by reporters about these claims, the American government
denied the story; Narut -- after a long incommunicado period and apparent
coercion -- later explained to journalists that he had merely spoken
theoretically. If so, why did he originally describe the behavior
modification procedure as an ongoing program?[150]

And while it may seem frivolous to return to the subject of abductions after
examining such grim data, I should remind the reader of the many abduction
accounts in which abductees recall being forced to watch certain
stress-inducing motion pictures. The aliens, it seems, have learned a few
lessons from Dr. Narut.

Narut, of course, concentrated on selective programming of individual
American soldiers; on the other side of the mind control spectrum, Defense
Department specialists have also concentrated on methods to render entire
enemy battalions "combat ineffective." Electromagnetic weaponry, intended to
wipe out the aggression of the enemy, is the province of DARPA, under the
direction of Dr. Jack Verona. These projects remain fairly mysterious; we do
know, however, that one operation, SLEEPING BEAUTY, employed the services of
Dr. Michael Persinger, a scientist who has expressed interesting views
regarding UFOs.

Persinger discovered a method of using ELF waves to induce the brain's MAST
cells to release histamine; should a battlefield commander wish to subject
his enemy to mass bouts of vomiting, Persinger's trick could do the job even
faster than a Tobe Hooper movie. The method works on animals. "The
question," writes mind control researcher Larry Collins, "is how to get from
point A to point B without violating one of the most rigorous commandments
of Government ethics -- thou shalt not conduct experiments like that on
human beings."[151]

If Collins had studied the record a little more carefully, he might realize
that the government hasn't always regarded this commandment as something
graven in stone. As Milton Kline put it:

Ethical factors involved in most research would preclude having positive
results. Those ethical factors don't always hold with government research.
THE RESEARCH WHICH HAS GIVEN REALLY POSITIVE RESULTS HAS NOT BEEN LIMITED BY
ETHICAL CONSTRAINTS[152]. [my italics]

THE ULTIMATE MOTIVE FOR MIND CONTROL

Hypnosis hard-liners of the Orne school would almost certainly dismiss the
foregoing veterans' accounts of the use of hypnosis, drugs and behavioral
conditioning on American fighting men. Why, the skeptics would ask, would
anyone attempt to create a "Manchurian Candidate" when the military
services, using entirely conventional means, can create a "Rambo"? There
have always been recruits for even the most hazardous duties; what need of
hypnosis?

The need, in fact, is absolute.

The modern battlefield has little place for the traditional soldier.
Advanced weaponry requires an increasing level of technical sophistication,
which in turn requires a cool-headed operator. But the all-too-human
combatant -- though capable of extraordinary acts of courage under the most
stressful conditions imaginable -- does not possess inexhaustible reserves
of SANG-FROID. Eventually, breakdowns will occur. Per-capita psychiatric
casualties have increased dramatically in each successive American conflict.
As Richard Gabriel, the excellent historian of the role of psychiatry in
warfare, writes:

Modern warfare has become so lethal and so intense that only the already
insane can endure it...Modern war requiring continuous combat will increase
the degree of fatigue on the soldier to heretofore unknown levels. Physical
fatigue -- especially the lack of sleep -- will increase the rate of
psychiatric casualties enormously. Other factors -- high rates of indirect
fire, night fighting, lack of food, constant stress, large numbers of
casualties -- will ensure that the number of psychiatric casualties will
reach disastrous proportions. And the number of casualties will overburden
the medical structure to the point of collapse.

The ability to treat psychiatric casualties will all but disappear. There
will be no safe forward areas in which to treat soldiers debilitated by
mental collapse. The technology of modern war has made such locations
functionally obsolete...[153]

According to Gabriel, the military intends to meet this challenge by
creating "the chemical soldier," a designer- drugged zombie in fighting
man's uniform:

On the battlefields of the future we will witness a true clash of ignorant
armies, armies ignorant of their own emotions and even of the reasons for
which they fight. Soldiers on all sides will be reduced to fearless chemical
automatons who fight simply because they can do nothing else...Once the
chemical genie is out of the bottle, the full range of human mental and
physical actions become targets for chemical control...Today it is already
possible by chemical or electrical stimulation to increase the aggression
levels of the human being by stimulating the amygdala, a section of the
brain known to control aggression and rage. Such "human potential
engineering" is already a partial reality and the necessary technical
knowledge increases every day[154].

(end of part 4)

ALIENTRIBE.COM - Main Menu.