ACTION ALERT
Indiana

URGENT:  Help Stop the Ten Commandments From State Promotion!  Help Keep
State Government from Sponsoring Religion!

Legislation calling for the posting of the Ten Commandments on public
property has already passed in the House and the Senate.  Thankfully, it may
not be too late to stop this unconstitutional train.

In our state, each bill must pass by both the House and the Senate.  We may
be able to derail this train.  We can stop the House from passing the
Senate's bill and the Senate from passing the House's bill.  But we must
ACT!

This bill is unconstitutional and violates established case law.

* The display of the Ten Commandments in public school classrooms and
hallways is unconstitutional.  In Stone v. Graham, the U.S. Supreme Court
struck down a Kentucky law requiring the posting of the Ten Commandments in
school classrooms, despite the law's avowed secular purpose of teaching the
origins of the American legal tradition.  The Court held that "the Ten
Commandments are undeniably a sacred text in the Jewish and Christian
faiths, and no legislative recitation of a supposed secular purpose can
blind us to that fact." The underlying rationale for the posting of the
document is for children to read and "perhaps to venerate and obey the
Commandments," which violates the Constitution's command that the state be
neutral toward religion.

* There is no one version of the Ten Commandments that is recognized by all
Christian denominations, let alone all faiths.  There are two texts in the
Christian Old Testament that vary according to translation and version.  The
Catholic, Lutheran and Protestant versions also have differences in wording
and length, as does the Jewish version.  The point is that any version of
the Ten Commandments will reflect one faith or denominational tradition to
the exclusion of others, resulting in government preference for one
religion.  This the Constitution forbids.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

This legislation is unconstitutional and Americans United urges it be
rejected!

Contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and urge them to
reject HB 1180
AND
Contact the members of the House Public Policy, Ethics and Veteran Affairs
Committee and urge them to vote against SB 2.

The committee members need to hear from the public!

House Public Policy, Ethics and Veterans Affairs Committee Members:
"Vote against SB 2"
Chairperson: Representative Kuzman
Members:  Bailey,
Bischoff,
Crooks,
Dobis,
Liggett,
Weinzapfel.
Alderman R.M.M.,
Duncan,
Frizzell,
Mock,
Ruppel,
Whetstone.

Senate Judiciary Committee Members:
"Vote against HB 1180"
Chairperson: Senator Bray
Members:  Zakas R.M.,
Ford,
Clark,
Lubbers,
Kenley,
Long,
Washington R.M.M.,
Antich,
Lanane,
Bowser

The committees are still likely to pass the bills.  However, constituent
voices are important!  We cannot allow politics to march forward regardless
of the constitution!

Inevitable does not mean legal.  We must SPEAK UP!

It is likely that all members of the House and Senate will need to hear from
you --AGAIN -- on this issue when a vote on the floor is scheduled.  We will
be in touch  --again.

Time is of the essence, Speaking out is essential.
Please contact your elected officials today.  Thank you!

To read the bills, visit:

HB 1180 -- http://www.state.in.us/legislative/bills/2000/IN/IN1180.1.html
SB 2 -- http://www.state.in.us/legislative/bills/2000/SB/SB0002.2.html

Ann Mulligan
States Legislative Coordinator
Americans United for Separation of Church and State
518 C Street, NE
Washington, DC  20002
202-466-3234 x 232 - phone
202-466-2587 - fax