</A> -Cui Bono?-

 http://www.mostnewyork.com/2000-02-
10/News_and_Views/Crime_File/a-563
 45.asp

         Cops Spot Stolen Car —
         & Give It 36 Tickets

                    Early on the morning of Jan. 20, Doug
                    Mennella phoned the 78th Precinct
                stationhouse in Brooklyn to report that his car had
                been stolen from Fiske Place in Park Slope. Two
                officers came to take his report.

                And while one arm of the Police Department was
                treating Mennella with the care and courtesy
                promised to crime victims, another arm was busy
                with more customary activities.

                Already that morning, at 6:17, an Officer
                Rodriguez from the 84th Precinct had issued four
                tickets to the car, which the thief had dumped near
                Cadman Plaza. The four tickets were for missing plates
                — front and rear — and missing stickers.

                At 9:45 that morning, an Officer Temple from the
                84th Precinct wrote an additional five tickets —
                for the exact same stuff and, for good measure, an
                expired meter.

                If you're keeping track, that's nine tickets issued in
                three hours by Officers Temple and Rodriguez.

                But we are not done yet.

                Over the 11 days that Doug Mennella's car was
                missing, it was ticketed 36 times. The same two
                cops — Temple and Rodriguez — cluster-bombed
                his valiant little 1988 Honda Civic with at least 25
                tickets.

                By the time a diligent officer recognized the car as
                stolen, the Honda had racked up $1,740 in tickets.

                "The last cop actually checked to see if it was
                stolen when he wrote the ticket," said Mennella,
                30, a computer programmer who works in
                midtown and takes the subway to his job.

                Here's how the cops worked over the Mennella
                car on Jan. 19, a banner day.

                At 5:16 a.m., four tickets were issued by an
                officer with an illegible name.

                An hour later, at 6:15, four more tickets were
                issued by Officer Rodriguez.

                There was a temporary respite. Perhaps from
                exhaustion or an epidemic of writer's cramp,
                absolutely no tickets were issued for two hours.
                At 8:22, Officer Temple arrived and doled out
                four tickets.

                Some might think the word "insane" applies here,
                but the word "quota" ought to ring some bells.

                To be fair, Jan. 19 was one day before Mennella
                reported his car stolen, since his part of Park
                Slope only has alternate-side-of-the-street parking
                once a week. So the three officers who issued 12
                tickets within three hours, for identical offenses,
                didn't know it was a stolen car.

                "Still, there was something very strange about all the
                tickets," says Mennella. "Every one of them had my
                license plate number written across the top."

                Somehow, the lack of plates and stickers was no
                handicap to identifying the plate number.

                For several days after Mennella's Honda was
                reported stolen, it continued to be bombed with
                tickets. On the 21st, he got four more for the
                missing plate and registrations.

                Officer Temple checked in for his last hurrah with the
                Honda on Jan. 24, when he wrote six summonses.

                "We don't normally do that," said a Police
                Department spokeswoman when asked about the
                piles of summonses. "We're researching it to see if
                there was misconduct."

                On Feb. 1, Officer James White issued, in an act
                of extraordinary restraint, just one last summons —
                for missing plates — and had the Honda towed to the
                pound for stolen cars.

                Before it could be released to Mennella, however, he
                had to clear up the tickets.

                The parking judge was not impressed by the paper
                issued by the 78th Precinct cops when Mennella
                reported the car stolen. Mennella was to produce
                the official report. However, the official report goes
                to Albany from the stationhouse and does not come
back
                until springtime.

                Also, the parking judge thought it highly unlikely
                that the Police Department would issue so many tickets
                for a car that was stolen. Mennella had to cough up
                the $1,740, which he is appealing; with a spreading
                mass of paper evidence, he is sure to win.

                Still, he can't get the car back — unless he's ready
                to open his wallet again.

                Another $1,300 for fees was assessed by the
                pound where his car was towed — a figure that
                grows at a spectacular rate.

                "They charge $150 a day for storage," explained
                Mennella.

                Mennella barely uses the car.

                "My family borrows it on weekends to visit my
                grandmother," he said. "My sister used it to move some
                furniture."

                He handed over a copy of the paperwork that the
                officers gave him when he reported the car stolen.

                "Please let us know if you have any suggestions on how
                we can better serve you," the form said.

                "I called Internal Affairs," said Mennella.

                What did they say?

                "The person who took my complaint was
                defending what the cops did," he said.

                Original Publication Date: 02/10/2000

--
Kathleen

"I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility
against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
- Thomas Jefferson (1800)