The Power Elite
C. Wright Mills
Oxford University Press©1956
LCCN 56-5427
423 pps. -- Reprint1969-2 --
-----
A Classic.
-----

The Constitution of the United States was constructed in fear of a powerful
military establishment The President a civilian, was declared
commander-in-chief of all the armed forces,, and during war, of the state
militia's as well. Only Congress could declare war, or vote funds for
military use-and for only two years at a time. The individual states
maintained their own militia, separate and apart from the national
establishment. There was no provision for a flow of advice from military to
civilian chiefs. If there were provisions for violence in the constitution,
they were reluctant provisions, and the agents of violence were held to a
strictly instrumental role.

After the revolutionary generation, the upper classes were not of a military
stamp; the American elite did not systematically include among its members
high-ranking military figures; it developed no firm tradition of military
service; prestige was not rendered to military servants. The ascendancy of
economic over military men in the sphere of 'honor' was made quite apparent
when, during the Civil War, as indeed up to World War I, the hiring of a
substitute for the draft was not looked down upon. Military men, accordingly,
on their often isolated posts along the old internal frontier, did not enter
the higher circles of the nation.

No matter what hardships, and they were often severe, were encountered by
those who crossed the hemisphere and no matter how military their expeditions
and communities—and in many ways they were for considerable periods
definitely camps of war—still those who headed the nation were not stamped
with the military mind and the military outlook.

And yet, considering the whole of United States history, we are confronted
with a rather curious situation: we are told that we have never been and are
not a militarist nation, that in fact we distrust the military experience,
yet we note that the Revolution led to the ascendancy of General Washington
to the Presidency, and that there were bids among certain rejected officers,
in the Order of Cincinnati, to form a military council and install a
mili-tarist king. Then too, frontier battling and skirmishes had some-thing
to do with the political success of Generals Jackson, Harri-son, and Taylor
in the Mexican War. And there was also the Civil War, which was long and
bloody and split American society across the middle, leaving scars that still
remain much in evidence. Civilian authority, on both sides, remained in
control through it and after it, but it did lead to the ascendancy of General
Grant to the Presidency, which became a convenient front for economic
interests. All the Presidents from Grant through McKinley, with the
exceptions of Cleveland and Arthur, were Civil War officers, although only
Grant was a professional. And again, with the little Spanish-American War, we
note that the roughest, toughest of them all-perhaps because he was not a
professional-Theodore Roosevelt-emerged in due course in the White House. In
fact, about half of the thirty-three men who have been President of the
United States have had military experience of some sort; six have been career
officers; nine have been generals.

>From Shays' Rebellion to the Korean War there has been no period of any
length without official violence. Since 1776, in fact, the United States has
engaged in seven foreign wars, a four-year Civil War, a century of running
battles and skirmishes with Indians, and intermittent displays of violence in
China, and in subjugating the Caribbean and parts of Central America.* All of
these occurrences may have been generally regarded as nuisances interferring
with the more important business at hand, but, at the very least, it must be
said that violence as a means and even as a value is just a little bit
ambiguous in American life and culture.
[* In 1935, the editors of Fortune wrote: "It is generally supposed that the
American military ideal is peace. But unfortunately for this highschool
classic, the U.S. Army, since 1776, has filched more square miles of the
earth by sheer military conquest than any army in the world, except only that
of Great Britain. And as between Great Britain and the U.S. it has been a
close race, Britain having conquered something over 3,500,000 square miles
since that date, and the U.S. (if one includes wresting the Louisiana
Purchase from the Indians) something over 3,100,000. The English-speaking
people have done themselves proud in this regard.'[4]]

 The clue to this ambiguity lies in this fact: historically, there has been
plenty of violence, but a great deal of it has been directly performed by
'the people! Military force has been decentralized in state militia almost to
a feudal point. Military institutions, with few exceptions, have paralleled
the scattered means of economic production and the confederate means of
political power. Unlike the Cossacks of the Eurasian Steppes, the technical
and numerical superiority of the American frontiersman who confronted the
American Indian made it unnecessary for a true warrior stratum and a large,
disciplined administration of violence to emerge. Virtually every man was a
rifleman: given the technical level of the warfare, the means of violence
remained decentralized. That simple fact is of the greatest consequence for
civilian dominance as well as for the democratic institutions and ethos of
earlier times in America.

Historically, democracy in America has been underpinned by the militia system
of armed citizens at a time when the rifle was the key weapon and one man
meant one rifle as well as one vote. Schoolbook historians, accordingly, have
not been prone to think about changes in American military institutions and
weapons systems as causes of political and economic changes. They bring out
military forces for an Indian skirmish and a distant war, and then they tuck
them away again. And perhaps the historians are right. But the first armies
in Europe based on universal conscription, it ought to be remembered, were
revolutionary armies. Other countries armed their populations reluctantly;
Metternich at the Congress of Vienna urged the abolition of mass
conscription; Prussia adopted it only after her professional army suffered
defeats without it; the Tzars, only after the Crimean war; and Austria, only
after Bismarck's recruits defeated Franz Josef's troops.[5]

The introduction of mass conscript armies in Europe involved the extension of
other 'rights' to the conscripts in an effort to strengthen their loyalties.
In Prussia, and later in Germany, this was a quite deliberate policy. The
abolishment of serfdom and later the development of social-security plans
accompanied the establishment of mass conscription. Although the
correspondence is not exact, it seems clear that to extend the right to bear
arms to the population at large has involved the extension of other rights as
well. But in the United States, the right to bear arms was not extended by an
arms-bearing stratum to an unarmed population: the population bore arms from
the beginning.

Up to World War I, military activities did not involve the discipline of
permanent military training, nor a monopoly of the tools of violence by the
federal government, nor the professional soldier at the top of a large and
permanent military establishment. Between the Civil War and the
Spanish-American War, the army averaged about 25,000 men, organized on a
regimental basis, with regiments and companies largely scattered on posts
along the internal frontier and farther west. Through the Spanish-American
War, the United States Army was militia-organized, which meant decentralized
and with an unprofessional officer corps open to much local influence.

The small regular army was supplemented by state militias formed into The US
Volunteers, the commanders of these troops being appointed by the governors
of the, states. In this quite unprofessional situation, regular army men
could be and often were jumped to generalship in The Volunteers.
Politics—which is also to say civilian control-reigned supreme. At any given
time, there were few generals, and the rank of colonel was often even the
West Pointer's height of aspiration.

3

Around the old army general of the late nineteenth century, in his neatly
disheveled blue uniform, there hang wisps of gun smoke from the Civil War. In
the Civil War he had distinguished himself, and between that war and the
Spanish-American fracas he had fought Indians in a most adventurous way. The
dash of the cavalry has rubbed off on him-even if at times making him
something of a dashing imbecile (Remember Custer and the Little Big Horn!).
He lives something of the hardy life which Theodore Roosevelt esteemed. He
often wears a mustache, and sometimes a beard, and usually he has a certain
unshaven look. Grant had worn a private's uniform with unshined buttons and
ancient boots and the manner carried on. This old army man has fought
up-close: it was not until World War I that an official effort was made 'to
conserve trained personnel'; many generals and dozens of colonels were killed
in Civil War battles or afterward in Indian skirmishes.

 He did not earn the respect of his men by logistical planning in the
Pentagon; he earned it by better shooting, harder riding, faster
improvisation when in trouble.

The typical general of 1900[6] was of an old American family and of British
ancestry. He was born about 1840 in the northeastern section of the United
States and probably grew up either there or in the north central section, in
a rural area or perhaps a small town. His father was a professional man, and
the chances are fairly good that his father had political connections-which
may or may not have aided him in his career. It took him a little more than
thirty-eight years to become a major-general from the time he entered the
army or West Point. When he came into top command, he was about sixty years
old. If he was religious, he probably attended the Episcopal church. He
married, sometimes twice, and his father-in-law, also a professional, might
also have had some political connections. While in the service, he did not
belong to a political party; but after retirement, he may have dabbled a bit
in Republican politics. It is as unlikely that be wrote anything as that
someone wrote very much about him. Officially, he had to retire at sixty-two;
and he died, on the average, at the age of seventy-seven.

Only a third of these old army generals had been to West Point and only four
others had completed college; the old army did not go to school. But we must
remember that many southerners—who had been West Pointers and who had
predominated in the old federal army-had gone home to fight in the
Confederate army. Sometimes the army general of 1900 had been commissioned
during the Civil War, sometimes he had come up through the volunteers of the
state militia, sometimes he had personally recruited enough men and then he
was a colonel. After he was in the regular army, his promotion was largely by
seniority, which was greatly speeded up during wars, as during his jump from
colonelcy during the Spanish-American War. At least half of the old army
generals had higher connections with generals and politicians. General
Leonard Wood, for example, who was a medical captain in 1891, became White
House physician, and later, under his friends, Theodore Roosevelt and William
Howard Taft, ended up in 1900 as Chief of Staff.

Only three of the top three-dozen army men ever went into business—and two of
these were non-regulars. Local merchants in frontier towns often loved this
old army; for it fought Indians and cattle thieves and the army post meant
money for the local economy. And in larger towns, the army was at times
authorized to break strikes. Small boys also loved it.

Between the Civil War and the naval expansion under Theodore Roosevelt, the
army was more in the public eye and its claims for status were cashed in by
the lower classes. But the navy was more like a gentleman's club, which
occasionally went on exploring and rescuing expeditions, and the prestige of
the navy was among the upper classes. This explains, and is in part explained
by, the higher level of origin and more professional training of its officer
corps.

Apart from the British inheritance of sea power, there was the prestige of
Admiral Mahan's theory, linking the greatness of the nation to her sea power,
and falling easily upon the ears of Navy Undersecretary Theodore Roosevelt.
The higher prestige of the navy, coming to a wider public during the
Spanish-American War, has been due to the fact that the skills of the naval
officer were more mysterious to laymen than those of the army—few civilians
would dare try to command a ship, but many might a brigade. Since there was
not, as in the army, a volunteer system—there was the prestige of skill
augmented by the prestige of a formal, specialized education at Annapolis.
There was also the fact of heavy capital investment, represented by the ships
in the naval officer's command. And finally, there was the absolute authority
that 'Me Master of a ship exercises—especially in view of the sea tradition
of contempt for the deckhand, which, applied to the enlisted sailors, lifted
the officers high indeed.

The typical admiral of 1900 was born about 1842 of colonial stock and British
ancestry. His father had a professional practice of one kind or another; but
more important, he was of the upper levels of the northeastern seaboard, more
likely than not of an urban center. The future admiral had the academy
education plus two years on a receiving ship. He was only fourteen years old
when he entered the navy; and if he was religious, he was definitely
Protestant. Some forty-three years after he was accepted at the Academy he
became a rear admiral. He was then fifty-eight years old. He had married
within his own class level. He probably wrote one book, but chances were less
that someone wrote a book about him; he may, however, have received an
honorary degree after the war of 1898; and he retired from the navy at
sixty-two years of age. He had held the rank of rear admiral for only three
years; and he died ten years after compulsory retirement at the average age
of seventy-two.

Even in 1900, the top of the navy was strictly Annapolis, and gentlemanly
too. Recruited from higher class levels than the army, residing more in the
East, having had better preparatory training and then the Academy, the
admiral had also served in the Civil War, after which he slowly rose by
avoiding innovation, in personal life or in military duties. Given the
meticulous crawl of his career, it was important that he be commissioned
early and live long, in order to reach admiralcy before compulsory retirement
at sixty-two. It usually took some twenty-five years to become a captain.
'Officers spent so long a time in the lower subordinate grades that they
never learned to think for themselves. They usually reached command ranks so
late that they bad lost their youth and ambition and had learned only to
obey, not to command...'*
[*"In December 1906, the age of the youngest captain in the AmerNavy was 55
and the average time spent in that grade was 4.5 years; in Great Britain the
youngest captain was 35 and the average time spent in that grade was 11.2
years! The figures for France, Germany, and Japan are similar to the British.
'The same situation was true of the flag officers. In the United States they
usually averaged only 1.5 years in that rank before retirement,' but in Great
Britain, France, Germany, and Japan, between 6 and 14 years.[7]]

>From one-third to one-half of the duty of the top officers was spent at sea,
occurring of course mainly while of lower rank. About half of the top
thirty-five naval men bad returned at one time or another to Annapolis as
instructors or officials. And some took postgraduate work there. But the key
to the bureaucratic snafu that has often characterized the navy is that as
the ships and the guns and the logistics became more technically complicated,
the men who ran them acquired rank less by technical specialty than by
seniority. Accordingly, the skipper became somewhat alienated from his ship
and had to take responsibility for matters which he did not altogether
understand. The bureau heads, who ran the navy, had access to the Secretary,
and were often thick with congressmen. But despite the prominent connections,
only one adadmiral[sic] of this period went into business, and only two went
into (local) politics.

Such, in brief, was the civilian controlled military establishment of the
United States in the later nineteenth century, with its half-professionalized
high officer corps, whose members were not in any important sense of the
American elite of businessmen and politicians. But this is not the later
nineteenth century, and most of the historical factors which then shaped the
military roles within the nation no longer exert the slightest influence on
the shape of the higher echelons of America.

pps,178-183
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.