</A> -Cui Bono?-

Here is a peice from the SF Weekly, forwarded to me by the estimable DasGoat.
 It falls in line with some discussion we have had recently.  He thought it
was good fodder for this list and so do I, thus here it is.  Some of it is
quite shocking so be prepared.
This idea of "art" becoming a shaping force of society or, a model of society
as it exists, is merely another way in which controlling groups are able to
push an agenda, and to cause "gross", as in aggragate sociological responses
within the community at large (in this case "gross" could be taken in the
context of sickening as well).  Much as I have claimed in the case of crime
and serial killers in particular.  It is designed and propogated to instill a
psychological mindset, or at least to foster a tendency toward a particular
belief within the "people" at large.  Manipulation.  The psychological set of
this piece of "art" is the same as the "art" that is created by the depraved
minds of killers (some of which it is my opinion are tasked for the "jobs"
they perform by representatives of the elites that are running, or at least
trying to run, the show).  That is that society has been and continues to
degrade.  There is NO base with which to anchor oneself and one must either
give in to become a slave of the machine and change their freedom for the
security of total government (a farce).  Or one wishes to withdraw and not be
involved, lending yourself to other avenues of manipulation, or your being
labeled as an extremist or whatever.
Just a sign of the times, but I do believe it should be viewed in a
sociological context, and extrapolation of the methods and means and "reason"
behind it all is good fodder for this list.
Read on. . .

Public Enema No. 2
Bondage, fellatio, feces-swapping, and intimate cleansing at the S.F. Art
Institute
By Matt Smith

Amy Douglas

Jonathan Yegge, who tied, blindfolded, and performed unspeakable acts on a
fellow student in the name of art.

Jonathan Yegge, a 24-year-old scholar at the San Francisco Art Institute, is
angry, anxious, resentful.
"If I have to not have sex on campus anymore, they'd better put that in the
student handbook, and then we can decide whether that's an appropriate rule
or not," says Yegge. "I mean, I'm on probation, and I can't have sex on
campus, and anyone else can."

Yegge's plight, his mood, and his outlook are a small -- no, minuscule --
portion of the aftermath of a performance art piece he crafted three weeks
ago for an art class in the school's New Genres department, led by
sometimes-controversial professor Tony Labat.

Yegge asked for a volunteer from the class, got one, then took the young man
aside into an empty room. Yegge handed the soon-to-be subject of his artwork
a makeshift contract stating that the volunteer was agreeing to participate
in a performance piece containing acts "including and up to a sexual or
violent nature." The volunteer signed the contract.

Yegge led the volunteer out into a campus public area, in front of Labat's
class and anyone else who happened by, and then ... well, maybe it's best to
let Yegge explain.

"He was tied up. He had a blindfold and a gag, but he could see and talk
through it. He had freedom of movement of his pelvis," Yegge says, by way of
defending his piece. "I engaged in oral sex with him and he engaged in oral
sex with me. I had given him an enema, and I had taken a shit and stuffed it
in his ass. That goes on, he shits all over me, I shit in him. There was a
security guard present. There was an instructor from the school present. It
was videoed, and the piece was over."

But the piece wasn't over, really. In the world of performance art, a work
may leave no physical artifact on the earth, so the audience is its canvas.
During the days and weeks after Yegge's performance ended, his work has left
brush strokes all over the small S.F. art world.

Not long after the piece was finished, the volunteer developed misgivings
about what had happened to him.

"He was pissed off, as he should be," says Ryan Castaneda, a friend of the
volunteer (whose name SF Weekly is not printing for obvious reasons). "He
felt he was being violated. He just didn't think this was cool."

The volunteer complained. The school administration called Yegge in, put him
on academic probation, and instituted the Yegge-specific no public sex on
campus rule.

Administration officials held lengthy meetings with Yegge's instructor,
Labat. Discussions focused on the dangerous nature of exchanging bodily
fluids for art's sake. Implicit was the litigiously dangerous nature of
allowing this to go on in a supervised classroom.

The volunteer's mother was rumored to be a judge, and it was feared the
student might sue. The volunteer, contacted through friends, did not want to
comment for this story. But students at the Art Institute, the Academy of Art
College, and in the rest of the tightknit San Francisco artistic community
were riveted by the incident. One student enrolled in Labat's class was said
to be going so far as to plan her own performance piece protesting Yegge's
piece.

"She was pretty upset by it," said a friend of Labat's student who witnessed
the piece.

The Art Institute, meanwhile, seemed to scurry into a damage-control posture.

"None of us know anything about it," said a flush-faced employee at the
school's cafe in response to a reporter's question.

And after hours of closed-door meetings with the Institute's administration,
even Labat attempted to distance himself from the piece.

"It was plain bad art," says Labat. "This was irresponsible in any context.
It made me wonder why anyone would want to do a story about it. Why would
anyone be interested in anything as basic as that? Nobody should be
interested in that." But Yegge says Labat did nothing to stop the piece while
it was taking place. Yegge also says he ran the general premise of the piece
by Labat before performing it. Labat declined to discuss the performance in
detail.

>From the most obvious perspective, Yegge's piece may indeed have been bad
art. Yegge himself says the piece was hastily conceived.

"The whole piece was an edifiatory piece for the other performance artists.
The teacher asked me to produce such a piece for him," Yegge says, a transfer
student on scholarship. "This was something that's schlocky, quick, and just
shows people what they are walking into before the add-drop period, before
they can get out of there, or decide to stay. The easiest thing I could think
of was this."

And Yegge's intellectual defense of his piece might -- might -- come across
as a bit dilute.

"It's about Heidegger, Derrida -- all this stuff," he says. "It's about
pushing the notion of gay sex, pushing the notion of consent, pushing the
notion of what's legal. We are living in the era of AIDS. This is about his
responsibility, my responsibility.

"During your tenure in this school you're required to read The Tears of Eros
by Georges Bataille, where he discusses pain and the history of erotic art.

"You jump across time and you jump across eras. You might present this
performance art, then the students might read Bataille and it might make
sense. Or they might see this performance and then see Bataille."

Perhaps, or perhaps not.

But if one of performance art's central objectives is to get people thinking,
the piece was a success.

S.F. Art Institute

The Art Institute administration has been forced to contemplate the risks
inherent in its 20-year-role as a vortex of cutting-edge performance art.
Students at the Institute, the Academy of Art College, and elsewhere are
having conversations about the difference between creating out-there art and
merely being an asshole. Labat has been confronted by an often-overlooked
aspect of any professor's job -- looking after kids. And Yegge himself is now
pondering a question artists of all types face: Is intellectual expression an
end worth any means?

The fix the Art Institute finds itself in -- it conceivably stands to be sued
into oblivion by a distressed student -- is entirely of its own making.
Perhaps to its credit, by placing itself at the vanguard of the academic art
world the Institute has also put itself in jeopardy.

While performance as art is still little-noticed outside the art world, it's
enjoying a San Francisco-centered renaissance right now, in part thanks to
artists coming out of the Institute. For 20 years, the boundaries of
performance art -- and certainly performance art produced in an academic
setting -- have been stretched at the San Francisco Art Institute. And for
better or worse, shit and violence and sex and truly, truly appalling
behavior are now prosaic on performance art stages.

Instructor Howard Fried two decades ago founded the New Genres department to
bring into the academic fold "lifelike art" that had emerged during the
1960s. At the time, it was the first academic department to recognize artwork
that left no physical remnants.

"The reason that department came into existence was because we wanted to
redefine the boundaries, not so much in terms of content, but in terms of
form, of what was considered by, what was suggested by, the structure of the
institution as being art," says Fried, who retired from the Institute 12
years ago. "There was a sculpture department, but there wasn't a department
that understood actions to be art, necessarily. At that time there was no
school in the country you could go to that had a department that had that
kind of activity."

The idea driving these new works, Fried says, began as an extension of the
notion implicit in Jackson Pollock's spatter paintings, which, rather than
creating a facsimile of something existing in the physical world, evoke in
viewers' minds the image of a man pouring cans of paint onto a canvas.

"The act becomes as important as the result. The connection between the act
of doing the thing and the thing that results from the act are both seen and
have equal weight in the piece," Fried says.

Taken a step further, "When the action is finally free from the object it is
producing, the people around it become the potential canvas."

So an artist may stand in the living room and give an erotic reading of a
cereal box label, recite a soliloquy about his lot in life, or roll herself
in a rug and lie in a museum entrance for hours.

Such pieces were novel, provoked audiences to reflect and ponder, and
generally altered the human canvas they were painted on -- but not as much as
some artists wished. Within the performance art world evolved a group of
artists who wanted not merely to provoke people, but to shock them out of
complacency.

So there was public masturbation, people shooting others in the arm on
purpose, others hanging themselves by hooks.

HIV-positive artist Ron Athey makes his living lacerating himself onstage.
And Art Institute alum Karen Finley made a tour of the national talk show
circuit a decade ago after her NEA-funded work angered Republican
congressmen. Finley's pieces involve forcing candied yams into her anus,
shitting into a bowl and letting another artist eat it, and inviting the
audience to lick goo off her naked body.

So Yegge was in good company when he physically humiliated his volunteer.
Like his contemporaries, he shocked, angered, disturbed, and otherwise made
his audience, participants, and sponsors very uncomfortable.

A success, no?

You wouldn't think so judging from the subsequent behavior of the parties
involved. Yegge himself, after demonstrating persecuted-artist bravado during
conversations just following the piece, is now contrite.

"Right now, I'm just worried about the student who volunteered," he says.

Labat was quick to change the subject away from Yegge's piece, repeatedly,
during a recent conversation over breakfast.

"I find it very unfortunate that this incident is making us meet here, and
not the other, truly good work that is being done at the Institute," Labat
said.

And the Art Institute administration, which directs one of the most
open-minded and self-analytical such institutions in the country, had a
flack, rather than a dean as requested, return a call from SF Weekly.

"We'll send you a statement by e-mail," said the Institute's Patti Quill, who
didn't send a statement by e-mail.

The administration's reaction is about what one might expect, says Fried, who
has thought about such quandaries before.

"The term 'avant-garde' is defined as something that's pushing limits," Fried
says. "It's ironic because when you start doing that, you're always in the
same position, which is, people who are interested in operating in that space
are going to redefine the space. The institution's never going to be
comfortable with that."

It's the same dilemma dividing the ideal from the practical that institutions
and individuals face all the time.

Fried says it exists in something as basic as the founding fabric of America.
"The theory behind the Second Amendment is that it was put there to make it
possible to overthrow the controlling structure of the country. Have a
revolution once in a while. It was thought that that's a healthy thing to be
in the fabric of the Constitution," says Fried, who notes that he's not
debating gun control, rather pointing out the scary nature of violent
revolutions.

"But everybody's always trying to stop it because it's dangerous," he says,
before moving back to the subject of hosting avant-garde art in academic
institutions. "This question about whether or not you should push the edges
where you can't really define the edges is an important one. If you don't do
that, it becomes reactionary and stupid. If you do do that, there's the
danger that it will go out of control."

Indeed.

Send us your feedback.