</A> -Cui Bono?-

BOZO BUSH PART OF CLOWNISH TEXAS LEGAL SYSTEM

This morning Tim Russert interviewed Dubya here in Austin. Perhaps
Bush's most outrageous statement had to do with the Texas system of
justice. Russert asked him if he would be willing to consider halting
executions in light of the Illinois decision to do so because the guilt of those
being executed was sometimes in question. Bush gave his usual arrogant
answer--there was no doubt in his mind that everyone executed was guilty,
so let the killings continue. Russert asked Bush how he could be so sure,
since many Texans have questioned the justice system in Texas. In fact,
Russert went on, both houses of the Texas legislature had passed a bill in
the last session, tightening up the justice system for the poor who are
unable to get anything other than state legal representation. Yet, Bush
vetoed the bill when it came to his desk and Russert wanted to know why.

Bush said he didn't remember vetoing the bill, although he did so last June.
A commercial break gave Karen Hughes or Karl Rove time to remind Bush
of the veto, and during his next answer Bush rapidly mumbled a one
sentence explanation that made no sense. Given the week of debates
Bush's veto caused, both in Texas and throughout the nation, we marvel at
the man's ability to turn one of the most serious concerns of a civilized
society into just one more politicized answer, ending it with a smirk. Here's
what Bush seems to have forgotten in less than a year.

"In recent years the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has upheld death
sentences in at least three cases in which the defense lawyers slept during
trial. The trial judge in one case reasoned that while the Constitution
requires that a defendant be represented by a lawyer, it 'doesn't say the
lawyer has to be awake,' " writes "Stephen Bright, the director of the
Southern Center for Human Rights, an Atlanta-based organization that has
provided extensive help to defendants in capital cases." In the 6/24/99 New
York Times, Bob Herbert calls the justice system in Texas "clownish"
because of its abysmal quality of legal representation," making our
Governor Bush the head Bozo because he has, once again, bought into the
system by vetoing a bill that would have given defendants some relief from
the abysmally poor quality of justice dispensed in Texas. Continued here. --
Politex, 2/13/00

"Though the Vietnam War was raging while Bush was at Yale, he took no
part in protests or even discussions. In his autobiography Bush gives the
classic "hawk" explanation used by conservatives who managed to avoid
fighting in the war: "We could not explain the mission, had no exit strategy,
and did not seem to be fighting to win." If those three missing conditions
had been met, we may presume that Bush would have been trudging
through the boonies along with Pat Buchanan, Newt Gingrich, Phil Gramm,
Dan Quayle, Rush Limbaugh, and the rest of that blowhard army that
shunned service in Vietnam because the war was not being fought hard
enough.

"But Bush was not without political passion during the turbulent Vietnam
years. Minutaglio reports the following account from one of Bush's fraternity
brothers: "As he was standing shoulder to shoulder with him at the bar,
Bush began railing about how the nation's oil men were being strangled by
some suggested tax-break variances in the oil-depletion allowance. The
college fraternity brother remembers him growing heated as he built his
argument in defense of the oilmen in Texas."

"Bush's oil career similarly paralleled his father's. His expertise was in
raising money rather than in drilling for oil. Like his father, who was backed
by his uncle Herbert Walker, the young George W. Bush used an uncle,
Jonathan Bush, to assemble investors for his first ventures. Unlike his
father, however, George W. Bush never found much oil. No matter; the
domestic oil industry of the 1970s made much of its money by drilling holes
in the tax code rather than in the ground.

"His uncle Jonathan agreed that actually finding oil was not all that
important. "In those days, it behooved you to drill," Jonathan Bush told
Minutaglio. "You didn't have to do terribly well in order to do well because
you got so many write-offs. So it was an attractive way to invest money and
save taxes....Practically everything Bush touched in the oil business turned
to ashes, yet he always emerged both unscathed and, according to
Mitchell, oblivious. "George W. never seemed to acknowledge adequately
the role of the carpetlayers in his life....His insecurities prevented him from
giving credit where credit was due.

"Given his lack of national political experience, Bush may be at the mercy
of [his] advisers. He has gotten some of his stock responses down by rote,
but in a television interview on January 23, as he answered a barrage of
questions, he appeared completely confident—and deeply interested—in
only one issue: a defense of the intangible-drilling cost tax deduction for
investors in the oil industry." --Lars-Erik Nelson, Review of Four Bush
Biographies

FROM COMPASSIONATE CONSERVATIVE TO CALAMITOUS
COMMUNICATOR

Bush is doing a Bob Jones on Mac, and observers are disgusted. "The
Bush campaign denies it is conducting push polling, a technique designed
to spread negative information about an opponent in the guise of voter
research, and leveled a similar charge against McCain. But there is
mounting evidence that, after Bush's 18-point defeat in New Hampshire, his
campaign, or at least those who support it, are resorting to a scorched-
earth policy in South Carolina," comments David Grann in the lastest New
Republic. [Forbes complained about Bush doing push polling during the
last days of the Iowa caucus race, so this isn't the first time Bush has been
accused of such activities.] "In Greenville, near the foothills of the Blue
Ridge Mountains, several people told me that an endless stream of
anonymous callers had phoned the local radio station asking about
McCain's womanizing and questioning his war record. 'It's disgusting,' says
Terry Haskins, the speaker pro tem of the South Carolina House and a
McCain supporter. 'There were people on the radio saying, `How can Terry
Haskins support a man who gave secrets to the enemy?' I've seen dirty
politics, but I've never seen a rumor campaign like this. It's a vile attempt to
destroy a man's reputation just to win an election, and I know it's organized
because none of these rumors existed until the day after New Hampshire.'

"When I visited Greenville's Bob Jones University, the ultra-fundamentalist
college famous for banning interracial dating," writes Grann, "I encountered
the campaign firsthand. As I sat in the administration office under the
mounted head of a deer, Bob Taylor, the school's dean, who had helped
coordinate Bush's recent visit to the school and had Bush bumper stickers
stacked on his desk, told me he was worried about McCain's second wife's
family values, among other things. What do you mean? I asked. He leaned
forward, his voice dropping several notches. She owns, he confided, 'one
of the biggest beer distributors' in the country, and he feared her family
might have 'friendships among organized crime.' When I asked him for
evidence, he leaned back in his chair and said, 'I don't have any firsthand
knowledge, but that's just the kind of thing that's out there.'

Such dirty politics comes out of the bag of tricks concocted by Lee Atwater,
Poppy's political strategist and mentor of Karl Rove, who is Dubya's
political strategist. "Atwater invented, for a whole generation of politicians
and consultants, the art of modern political warfare. First as an aide to
Senator Strom Thurmond and later as a consultant to Governor Carroll
Campbell, he identified what he called "symbolic platforms"--the flag, family
values, taxes--and painted his opponents, regardless of their ideology, as
ultraliberals, as outsiders and transgressors of the Southern way of life. He
helped label one congressional candidate a foreign-born Jew and said a
Democrat who had suffered shock therapy as a 16-year-old had been
'hooked up to jumper cables.' 'I guarantee you I can get the negatives up on
anyone,' Atwater boasted."

This kind of ultra-negative politics is what Dubya has decided to practice in
South Carloina. In yesterday's LAT, Doug Gamble, a former speech writer
for both Reagan and Poppy Bush, has had it. "The person whose decisions
led to the New Hampshire debacle, Bush guru Karl Rove, fancies himself
another Lee Atwater, the now-deceased brilliant strategist behind the 1988
campaign of Bush the elder. The spinning Atwater is doing in his grave
tops the campaign spin put out by Rove thus far....Bush is now on the attack
in South Carolina, trying to persuade voters in the upcoming primary that
McCain is actually the establishment [outsider], even though W has the
endorsement of 44 senators and the party bosses....This outburst ends my
13-year association with the Bushes and will cost me friends. Yet more
Republicans need to say out loud what they know inside: A nominee Bush
would be crushed by Gore." 2/11/00

Texas Ranks Under Bush: 1st in Children without Health Insurance %...
1st in Toxic Air Releases...
1st in Smog Days (Houston)...1st in poorest counties(3)...
3rd in Hunger %...
5th in Highest Teen Birth Rate...
45th in Mothers Receiving Pre-Natal Care...
46th in Public Libraries and Branches...
46th in High School Completion Rate...
46th in Water Resources Protection...47th in Delivery of Social Services...
48th in Literacy...
48th in Per Capita Funding for Public Health...
48 in Best Place to Raise Children...
48th in Spending for Parks and Recreation...
48th in Spending for the Arts...
49th in Spending for the Environment...
50th in Teachers' Salaries plus Benefits...documentation

                                       welcome...comment...bulletin board

to TODAY'S (FASTER LOADING) BUSH HEADLINES (See FAQ)
including...

BUSH'S A-G WANTS TO CREATE SECRET CORPORATE MONEY
CONDUIT.
DOES BUSH HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE PRESIDENT?
BUSH WOULD BETRAY OUR VALUES AND INTERESTS
MAC MEETS WILLIE HORTON IN S.C.
BUSH CONTINUES TO BADMOUTH MAC THROUGH PUSH POLLS.
BUSH S.C. GOP BLOCKS POLLING BOOTHS IN BLACK
NEIGHBORHOODS.
"PREACHER MAN" BUSH TESTIFYIN' IN S.C
MAC-BUSH NOT FRIENDS OF ENVIRONMENT
INSURERS, NOT CONSUMERS, BENEFITED FROM BUSH
TORT "REFORM."

RECOMMENDED BOOKS
http://www.bmvs.com/sites/anomalous/books/recommend.asp

RECOMMENDED VIDEOS