</A> -Cui Bono?-

At 02:47 AM 2-15-2000 -0800, Don wrote:
>is this true?
>               Are Copiers used to Track us?

 From: PRIVACY Forum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999
 Subj: PRIVACY Forum Digest V08 #19

 http://www.vortex.com/privacy/priv.08.19

 <snip>

 Date: Sun, 12 Dec 99 09:43 PST
 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lauren Weinstein; PRIVACY Forum Moderator)
 Subj: "Copier" IDs Coming Soon to Consumer Printers?

 Greetings.  In my recent special report, "IDs in Color Copies"
 (http://www.vortex.com/privacy/priv.08.18), I related Xerox's
 confirmation of "invisible" IDs embedded repeatedly in the
 background "noise" of xerographic color copies and prints, from
 both Xerox-produced machines and those of other manufacturers.
 Included ostensibly as an anti-counterfeiting measure, these are
 produced through "steganographic" (hiding in plain sight) encoding
 techniques.  This technology appears to be similar in a broad sense
 to (but clearly not identical with), Xerox's commercial
 "DataGlyphs" encoding system (see Xerox's material regarding
 DataGlyphs at: http://www.xerox.com/xsis/dataglph.htm).

 Response to my report has been very strong, mostly from people who
 were unaware of the existence of these copier IDs.  At least one
 person continued to doubt that the IDs were real--sometimes it's
 difficult to prove an "urban legend" as actually true!

 In my report, I speculated about the eventual implementation of
 such ID tracking systems within inexpensive consumer copying and
 printing equipment.  Readers who might have doubted the likelihood
 of that eventuality may be interested in:

 http://www.bep.treas.gov/countdeterrent.htm

 which is a U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing "Request for
 Proposals" regarding (among other things) implementation of tracing
 systems for devices such as inexpensive and ubiquitous inkjet
 printers, to encode system identification in any output.

 It would seem that the time for a public airing of the complex
 issues surrounding these systems is already upon us!

 --Lauren--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Lauren Weinstein
 Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
 Co-Founder, PFIR: People for
  Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
 Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

 ---------
 Subscriptions are via an automatic list server system;
 for subscription information, please send a message
 consisting of the word "help" (quotes not included)
 in the BODY of a message to: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

.