</A> -Cui Bono?-

>From The Times (UK)
http://www.the-
times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/2000/02/29/timfgneur01005.html?1124027

{{<Begin>}}
February 29 2000
EUROPE

Curbs on troops 'are hindering Nato' Brunssum: The commander-in-chief of a new
Nato regional headquarters that supplies two-thirds of the Kfor peacekeeping
forces in Kosovo gave a warning yesterday that the alliance could struggle if
it was required to cope with another crisis (Michael Evans writes). General
Joachim Spiering, of Germany, who takes over on Friday as head of the Allied
Forces North Europe headquarters, at Brunssum in The Netherlands, said some
Nato nations could not be relied on to provide troops when required and those
with rapidly deployable forces often imposed restrictions on their use. The
general, who will absorb the role played by the Nato headquarters at High
Wycombe, said he sympathised with General Klaus Reinhardt, commander of Kfor,
who was prevented from deploying his troops as he would wish. General Spiering,
whose restructured regional command covers ten nations, said: "We have a lot of
people under arms but too many of them we cannot use.

"Either they are not trained or they're conscripts and their national
constitutions forbid them being deployed outside their countries." He added:
"My fear is that we're going to stay in the Balkans for a long time. In Kosovo
it may get worse politically and militarily. We're committed for many years and
we're going to find it difficult to get the necessary manpower. If there is
another crisis we may find it hard to respond."

{{<End>}}

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers." Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.