</A> -Cui Bono?-

This is an interesting term, "Cablinasian".  What makes it interesting is I'll
bet there ain't too darned many people in these U.S. that aren't of some
similar background, although not necessarily of the same component ethnicities.

Given the histories of the Euros and the various forms of "-centrisms" that
abounded before the Euros bugged out for the New World, many if not most
Americans are made up of once-competing factions.  Myself, I steer clear of any
efforts to stereotype who or what I am by checking "Other" and entering
"American" on the line, because, as I wrote just above, I'm not easily
categorised.  It's nice the government has these neat little boxes in which to
place peoples' 'ethi-nicety' but they fail to realise how many inaccuracies,
errors, and oveergeneralisations they make.

The problem lies in using these little boxes to determine who deserves
entitlements and other special considerations due to the mistakes in American
history.   Does someone just off the jet deserve the same rights and priveleges
(upon gaining citizenship) as those who've been here for ever and endured?  Not
always.

But as an "American", I'm entitled to equal treatment regardless of who I am or
who my parents were.  THAT is the point.

What with all the wars between the French and the Britlanders and the French
and the Germans and the theses and the thoses back in the Old World, not to
mention the Americans and their various adversaries (Germans, e.g.), quite a
few nationalistic and cultural differences were reduced or eliminated when they
left their old lives behind and pledged allegiance to the U.S. instead.  Back
in the old country, it could have been ostracisation for them to unite family
style.  Here, it's a different matter.

I applaud those who seek to identify themselves as being truly and honestly
multicultural and overall American.  These are the realists, not a bunch of re-
enactment, anachronistic, atavistic fantasaists.  When the census comes and
everyone checks "Other -- American", perhaps then we can truly recognise we're
all in this together, "All for one, one for all", in true Musketeer fashion.
Thus, we all have a stake in each others' role and purpose and success and
destiny.

Rock on!

> Call it the Tiger Woods syndrome, after the golfer who invented
> the word ''Cablinasian'' to describe his Caucasian, black, Indian, and
> Asian roots. He's part of an increasing number of cultural role models,
> from Mariah Carey to Lenny Kravitz, who proudly acknowledge their
> multifaceted heritages.

Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust