</A> -Cui Bono?-

from:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/video/mn_000301_cyberbunker.shtml
Click Here: <A
HREF="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/video/mn_000301_cyberbunker.shtml">BBC
Online - Radio 1 - News - Video reports</A>
-----

Hack attacks v the bunker
Shops on the internet are being advised to step up their security. They're
being told the biggest risk they face is not from hackers online, but
organised criminals stealing their mainframe computers. Now one firm is
offering to lock up the hardware in a secret nuclear bunker.

You won't find the bunker anywhere on a map. But when you get here, the
massive barbed wire and electric fences hint that something's going on, even
if you can't see it till you get inside.
Fifty foot underground, a series of blast proof doors protect the computer
systems of over 100 companies. "It's a purpose built government designed
secure data warehouse," says Dominic Hawken. His internet firm bought it when
it got sold off by the MOD. The RAF used it to watch the skies for incoming
nuclear missiles. "I can remain isolated from the rest of the world and still
function", says Dominic.

With it's maze of concrete corridors, it looks like something out of 'Doom'.
With a few James Bond style security gadgets thrown in. Paul Lightfoot is the
bunker's Operations Manager. "It's designed to take nuclear, chemical or
biological attack, so gas tight doors," he says. "The place is set on feet,
so if it takes a direct hit the place would vibrate and remain intact."

Now for upwards of £10,000 a year, firms are being offered the ultimate lock
up for their hard drives. Dominic Hawken says many companies who sell stuff
online aren't guarding their hardware from cyber criminals: "If you're
running your website in-house and you're quite happily storing credit card
records, and so forth, and someone breaks in with a gun and says, I'm going
into your server and stealing your server, then obviously you're incredibly
vulnerable."
But is it a bit over the top?

Jungle.com is now one of the country's top internet stores, selling computer
hardware, videos and CDs. But boss Steve Bennett says you don't need an
underground bunker just to be secure: "It's a little bit excessive. I mean,
security is everything on the internet. We're paranoid about security, but
physical security is just one of the elements." He adds: "I mean, I'd never
run any of my file servers out of a bedroom, you have to have a real secure
site, but does the Queen live in a bunker? It's a little bit over the top."

But security is not only a headache for the online shops. Shoppers are also
worried about their credit card details being kept safe once they've typed
them in.

"I only usually use major sites like Amazon and BOL, that kind of thing,
because they basically guarantee that they're not going to lose any of your
details."

"You don't have any control of the money they are taking out of your account,
or whatever."

"It's absolutely vital that these kind of things are covered and it's not
just the e-commerce side," says Dominic Hawken. "It's people's personal
information that's being stored on servers that you do not want getting into
the wrong hands."
Relevant links:
The Bunker
Jungle.com

Home | News | Club | Pop | Alt | Inside R1 Message Board
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,