WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

 <A HREF="http://www.ashevilletribune.com/farmers_fight.htm">Farmers Fight</A>

http://www.ashevilletribune.com/farmers_fight.htm

FARMERS FIGHT 50,000 ACRE
FEDERAL LAND GRAB

12 year old testifies before Senate;
tries to save her family's home
By Matthew Mittan, The Asheville Tribune

The United States Fish and Wildlife Service has announced it's desire to
create a fifty-three thousand acre wildlife refuge, much to the chagrin of
local residents. Federal officials have targeted, for their refuge, some of
the best farmland in the United States, land that has been farmed by some of
the same families for two hundred years.

Residents opposed to the federal land designation say that the proposed
refuge would dispossess hundreds of families and transform a productive
agricultural economy into a non-productive service economy.

The people of Madison and Union counties in Ohio are overwhelmingly opposed
to the proposal. But that has not slowed the federal agencies from pursuing
the land.

Due to that fact, two local grassroots groups, Stewards of the Darby (SOD)
and Citizens Against Refuge Proposal (CARP) are at the forefront of the land
rights battle. Through these groups, local residents drafted a Declaration
entitled "Our Land Is Our Responsibility" which reads in part, "We, the
residents of the area publicized as the "Darby Prairie National Wildlife
Refuge Study Area" want our voices heard! We, who live and work in this
farming community, believe the impact to area businesses would jeopardize
their very existence. The Madison County Auditor's Office projects the
affected region generates $300 per acre, which turns over 6-7 times (in
buying power) before leaving the community. This translates into a potential
deficit of $90 million dollars to our area businesses.

"[Additionally,] United States Representative Ralph S. Regula asserts: 'It is
simply irresponsible to take on new land responsibilities, and give grants to
cities, States and private institutions, when we cannot afford to adequately
take care of our primary Federal responsibilities - the public lands.'

"The State Forest Department manages and protects 7.1 million acres of forest
land in Ohio, for the benefit of all Ohio citizens. One hundred eighty one
thousand acres of State-owned forest land are available for multiple
benefits, including wildlife, recreation, timber products, and soil and water
protection. In addition, there are 72 State Parks in Ohio where the public
can interact with nature at its leisure. With this great abundance of parks
and wildlife areas, all supported by our tax dollars, is there really a need
for more public land?

"Actual area land auctions show that a 500-acre farm is worth $1.5 million
dollars. To this initial cost, add a reasonably priced home at a cost of
$85,000, and minimal equipment at approximately $641,000, and the combined
start-up cost totals $2.226 MILLION DOLLARS. After committing to an
investment of such magnitude, why would our astute, agriculturally- and
family-minded farmers want to sell?

"In the case of the proposed Darby Prairie National Wildlife Refuge, most of
the 53,692 acres is land that has been acquired by our farmers over many
generations. This "ownership endurance" enables us to continue our
conservation-accredited farming skills, thus growing with our investments. At
an average of 4.5 persons per home, this equates to the possible residential
displacement of over 7,500 people from the Study Area alone, with a loss of
approximately 4,000 taxpayers to the community. We have a proven track record
of providing Americans with a diversity of products in the global
marketplace, with a combination of wheat, corn, and soybeans; there would be
a loss of over 3 million bushels of grain from the Study Area!

"With well over 50,000 acres lost to food production, how many non-farmers
would be willing to relinquish their combined homes and yards to replace the
fertile soil that presently feeds so many, that would be permanently lost by
the introduction of a National Wildlife Refuge? At some point, we will no
longer have the abundance of high-quality, reasonably priced food that we now
take for granted at our supermarkets.

"The growing of food to nourish our citizens is certainly as much a
consideration as re-establishing a tall grass prairie. Eating is not going to
go out of style, and we are not willingly going to yield our bountiful land
to either developers or Federal Agencies who say they are 'protecting us'
from development.

"Those of us who have been entrusted with the privilege of caring for the
land, know well the proper care and nurturing required to maintain, protect
and preserve our farmlands, and sustain a well-established wildlife habitat
through conservation management. With an eye to the future, and the
experience of almost two hundred years, we know that Our Land Is Our
Responsibility!"

Legislature, HCR 44 (Rep Jim Buchy) and SCR 28 (Sen. Merle Grace Kearns).
Both bills seek to block the federal effort. "We are trying to send a message
to the federal government that we do not want this in our state," said Julie
Smithson, a career truck driver who has been closely involved with the debate.

Advocates for the protection of private property in Ohio hope that their
struggle for the control of their land is not lost on the ears of citizens in
other areas across the nation. "We hope that other States can take up the
issue and join the bandwagon."

This fight has involved more than just the adults in the area. Sheena
Pennell, a 12 year old student, recently won an international essay contest,
sponsored by Walt Disney and McDonalds, for her writings on the Darby Refuge
controversy. Sheena believes that the local residents are doing just fine
taking care of the land and that the Fish and Wildlife Department doesn't
need to be telling farmers how best to manage their properties. Sheena's
mother Marlyne spoke to the Tribune while Sheena was at school Tuesday. She
stated that Sheena has always been an independent thinker and that her
daughter became very interested in the Darby dispute, researching numerous
documents and asking to attend several local town hall type meetings. "She's
been a 4-H'er since she was 5 years old, you learn to respect the land."

During the course of her inquiries, Sheena learned of numerous facts that
caused her skepticism of the FWA initiative. "Several farmers in the area
have received awards from the Fish and Wildlife Service for outstanding
environmental standards," Mrs. Pennell stated. That didn't seem to gel with
the position that the FWA was coming in to "protect the land", Pennell
asserted.

The Pennell family home is located on five acres that they have owned for
nearly a decade. They say they chose the area to raise their family because
of its small town, friendly appeal. They enjoy the traditional farming
community life. However, that could soon change due to the fact that their
land is within the proposed Wildlife Refuge area.

That situation, and young Sheena's essay, landed the family a seat in front
of a Senate Committee looking into the Darby conflict last week. "She was a
little nervous at first, but I think she feels like she's helping to make a
difference," her mother told the Tribune. "She got to see [Senators] hearing
her opinions."

A second round of State Senate hearings has been scheduled for mid-March.

On the Federal level, written testimony was presented to the U.S. House
Resources Committee recently. The testimony read as follows: "Our area is
under threat of being declared a National Wildlife Refuge by the actions of
corrupt officials of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, acting in collusion
with The Nature Conservancy, which is attempting to impose one of its
restrictive 'Bioreserve' projects on our farming community.

"The Columbus Foundation and Affiliated Organizations, a consortium of urban
foundations unconcerned about rural economies and the property rights of
farmers, gave The Nature Conservancy a grant of $25,000 in 1996 'For Darby
Bioreserve Project, including hiring RiverKeeper to promote citizen-based
protection of Big and Little Darby Creeks.'

"Despite massive opposition to the Project by our local citizens, the USFWS
continues to act under the influence of The Nature Conservancy and their
funders, the Columbus Foundation consortium, to cripple our farm community.

"We request that Congress fully investigate this foundation-funded attempt to
destroy the economy of our local farm community."

The House Resources Committee is Chaired by Rep. Don Young (R, Alaska). No
action had been taken on the Darby Wildlife Refuge designation as of press
time.

For more information contact: Stewards of the Darby at 740-857-1239 or the
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at 202-208-5403. The U.S. House Resources
Committee can be reached by calling 202-225-2761.

Rockefeller funding and direct participation in The Nature Conservancy is of
many years duration. They are definitely the American head of the NWO snake.

Lynell

"Lieutenant Governor Rockefeller has a fine record of public service, going
back 25 years or more. His involvements include such things as Boy Scouts of
America, serving as President of the Quapaw Area Council, the Nature
Conservancy, the Winthrop Rockefeller Foundation, Arkansas Cancer Research
Center, the Arkansas Arts Center foundation and areas related to Juvenile
Justice advisory group, and was a board member of the Arkansas Crime
Commission." <SNIP!>

 <A HREF="http://www.state.ar.us/ltgov/">http://www.state.ar.us/ltgov/</A>
 http://www.state.ar.us/ltgov/

<A HREF="http://www.radioliberty.com/kjos3.htm">Saving the Earth</A>
http://www.radioliberty.com/kjos3.htm

 <A HREF="http://militia.gen.mi.us/bda.html">http://militia.gen.mi.us/bda.html
</A>
Battle for Sustainable Freedom
http://militia.gen.mi.us/bda.html

 <A HREF="http://www.thewinds.org/archive/newworld/landgrab7-97.html">WINDS -
Biosphere Reserves and World Heritage Sites</A>
http://www.thewinds.org/archive/newworld/landgrab7-97.html

 <A HREF="http://www.cnie.org/nle/inter-1.html">World Heritage Convention and
U.S. National Parks</A>
http://www.cnie.org/nle/inter-1.html

 <A HREF="http://www.libertymatters.org/AHRI2.html">AHRI2</A>
http://www.libertymatters.org/AHRI2.html

 <A HREF="http://www.shire.net/big.brother/bio1.htm">Challenging 'Biosphere
Reserves'</A>
http://www.shire.net/big.brother/bio1.htm

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,