</A> -Cui Bono?-

RE: Stop the EMail Tax

Since nothing about the United States Constitution is taught
in Public Schools anymore, the following will come as a
surprise to most people.

The Constitution does not give government the power to
tax our income nor to tax the Internet or Email!
In fact, the only taxes which are lawful under the Constitution
are "commercial " taxes known as duties, imposts, and excises.

Impost  (definition)
"a tax, tribute, or duty; especially, a duty or tax laid
by goverment on goods imported into a country."

Excise tax  (definition)
"A Federal or state tax imposed on the manufacture and
distribution of certain non-essential consumer goods."

I have no objection to lawful taxes as set forth in our Constitution.
These are: "duties, imposts, and excise taxes"
"Section 8. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties,
imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and
general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises
shall be uniform throughout the United States; "

Notice that "income tax" is not among these powers.

During the first 130 or so years of this Republic, the government
normally ran a budget surplus.
It ran those surpluses when there was no income tax in this land.
Uncle Sam did a good job of taking care of his lawful duties and
responsibilities...and paid his bills with the revenues raised in
accordance with the Constitution.
Of course, Uncle also kept his activities and expenses within
the Constitution, so there was enough money to pay for that.

Now, what about this proposed "E-mail tax" and the various
schemes now being considered to tax the internet?
There are news stories about this every day.
All sorts of plans and proposals as to how to tax the net.
In all the rush and commotion, nobody has bothered to
check and see if such a tax or group of taxes would
be "lawful".

They wouldn't be!

Article I, Section 9.  (United States Constitution)
"No tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any state."

So, if you order anything from out-of-state via the internet,
and they ship it to you in another state,  it can't be lawfully taxed!
This seems simple enough.
Of course it isn't.

You must understand that just because it's unconstitutional
to tax it doesn't mean it won't happen.
The government doesn't care about what is,
or isn't, constitutional anymore.
Neither do most of the people.
This is why we have an income tax.
It's why the average working person in this country is forced
to pay about half of his or her income in taxes of various forms.
It's why there are endless government give-a-way schemes
doling out "free money" to an endless number of recipients.
It's why we have our military forces scattered all over the world
on UN "Peacekeeping " goose chases.
It's why large chunks of our country including our National Parks
and National Forrests are being designated as UN "Biospheres".

Franklin Roosevelt was the first president to really
use our Constitution as toilet paper.
Bill Clinton is only the most recent occupant of the White House
to keep hitting the flush handle.

Regards to All
     Nakano