</A> -Cui Bono?-

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-   <A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">
> </A> -Cui Bono?-
>
> Nurev Ind Research wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like Christian theology to me.
> > There is no such thing as good or evil in the natural world.
> > It is purely a human construct, and a random one at that.
>
> --
> from:
> "The Moral Maze" by desertrat
> <http://www.geocities.com/golwis/mmaze5.htm>
> --
>
> Part 5. The Deserted Island
> Continuation from #4:
>
> ...You live on a deserted island, let's make it a
> tropical paradise. You have a bunch of jetsom and
> flotsom, gardening and construction tools, fishing
> gear, guns, ammunition and an odd assortment of camping
> gear. Other than this you are completely alone with the
> plants and wild animals. At first, while you're
> preparing to plant your garden, you wander around
> hunting and gathering whatever you can find that's
> edible, robbing the caches of squirrels and birds'
> nests whenever you can find them. Is there anything
> "immoral" about this? While You're out gathering, a
> jaguar attacks you. Is the jaguar acting "immorally?"
> In your own defense, you manage to kill the animal. You
> take advantage of the kill by skinning and tanning the
> hide and preserving the meat for later use as emergency
> food or bait. Is this "good," "bad?" You return to your
> camp and garden and notice that while you were out
> gathering coconuts and killing jaguars that were
> attacking you, a gopher or rabbit and a bunch of damn
> tropical birds have been stealing from your garden.
> Were they behaving "immorally?" You set some traps out
> and try to discourage the birds from robbing you,
> killing a few in the process. Let's say, you could have
> used the dead bodies but just didn't feel like it so
> you threw them away somewhere downwind of your camp for
> some other wild animals to find. Are you a "bad" person
> for wasting the bodies or for polluting the area
> downwind of your camp?

my commentary
survival index of the human
        how do we keep from being too agressive or too
        passive

> *** Commentary ***
> This is an amoral scenario. There is no moral or
> immoral about any of this. There is only the law of
> survival, the rule of success or failure. Not even the
> cliche "might makes right" applies because there is no
> objective "right" and "wrong." There is only success or
> failure with luck or fate playing a role perhaps larger
> than any of us is willing to imagine. You're lucky you
> didn't wash up on an island inhabited by more fearsome
> predators or more numerous and persistent parasites.
> You might have been eaten by a crocodile or a hungry
> lion, you might have been eaten alive by flies or ants.
> All the moral protests in the world can do nothing to
> save you in an amoral environment. But man has a
> "moral" sense, (morality is at best, an illusion,) so
> he naturally describes things in moral terms regardless
> of its amoral nature. The sunset is "good," the leaking
> roof is "bad," the taste of the coconut is "good,"
> robbing a bird's nest is "good," killing a defenseless
> baby bird is "bad," and so on. All such reasoning is
> subjective, illusory, often delusional. The only guide
> are one's emotions, not one's reason. Happiness, which
> is the highest prize, is, after all, an emotion. What
> makes the individual happy is for him "good." What
> causes unhappiness is for him "bad."

the bacteria that made us
        eats or is eaten
        lives because there is a diversity
But some say that we are too evolved for
agression or that they can have monoploly and not
worry about keeping a diversity of animals, plants and
humans.  Without the diversity of bacteria that keep us
alive will we live?

> *** The Story Continues ***
> One day, there is a new arrival on the island. Another
> human washes up on the beach. When your new companion
> has recovered somewhat from exposure he wanders the
> island and happens upon your camp. He immediately
> demands that you provide him with food and shelter
> since it is apparent that you have more than you need.
> You're a bit surprised by his unfriendly manner and
> refuse telling him to go gather some food the way you
> did and to start his own garden. You aren't entirely
> without compassion. You feel morally compelled to give
> him a coconut or two because he's hungry, this would be
> a very natural thing to do under the circumstances, I
> think. You give him one of the jaguar skins you've
> tanned because he's cold, you have more than you really
> need and you want him to go away and leave you alone.
> Secretly, of course, you're cursing at yourself because
> you've already killed the jaguars that he would likely
> have fallen prey to. He becomes very angry when you
> tell him to go away and he storms off. That night he
> sneaks into your camp and tries to steal some food from
> your garden. Is he acting "immorally?"

Life is now so easy that you have
too much of what you have aquired.
Parents that decide that their children should not
have to go through the same stuff that they went
through.  But how did the parents evolve their way
of thinking?  The diversity of ideas that the parents
had and the times that they stummbled helped them evolve.
But they are at a social level that if their children were
to learn like that that the children would bring them down.

> *** More Commentary ***
> How is his behavior any different from the behavior of
> the tropical birds and the rodents? Only this, that he
> "ought" to bahave differently, he "ought" to respect
> your possessions. But if he chooses not to, he is only
> "bad" or "immoral" from your subjective point of view.
> >From HIS subjective point of view, he sees nothing
> "wrong" with taking from you what you "should have"
> given to him to begin with. Objectively, that is,
> removing all of the subjective values, looking at what
> "is" as opposed to what "ought to be," the man's
> behavior is no different from the other animals. There
> can be no "morality" between you so long as his
> behavior is amoral. You must deal with him according to
> the rule of success or faliure as you deal with all the
> other animals. If you show him any kindness, it is no
> different from the kindness you show defenseless or
> suffering animals. This morality, this sense of "good"
> and "bad," comes from your emotions.

Nature or nurture
his conception of success or faliure is different then
yours because of how he is evolving these concepts

> *** The Story Continues ***
> You respond in whatever manner you find most
> appropriate, you try to reason with him, you threaten
> him, whatever. He decides it's not worth taking your
> property while you're there to protect it. He sneaks
> back a few nights later and tries to kill you. Surprise
> is on his side, he stabs you while you're sleeping with
> a sharp piece of bone he found in his wanderings. But
> luck is on your side, he can't pull the bone out to
> stab you a second time so while he's yanking on this
> bone that's lodged between your ribs you manage to grab
> a gun blow his head off.

Bacteria falls from space with every meteror
and wants to survive.

> [...]
> the noisemaker, make him/it go away or plug your ears
> and try to ignore it. Try to reason with it, if it
> continues to bother you get up and move, if it follows
> you, as a last resort, you might try shooting. Would
> this be any different from swatting a fly or shooting a
> noisy bird that just won't be discouraged? Personally,
> I'd be reluctant to shoot a bird because I know it's
> intention is not simply to bother me. I'd be reluctant
> to shoot another human only becuase his friends would
> call me a monster and kill me in retribution. And what
> goes for noise goes equally well for sights and smells.
>
> *** Back to the Story ***
> You plead with him not to scream and annoy you. You
> ball up some wax from a nearby beehive and stick it in
> your ears. You tell him to return the items he
> borrowed. He never returns what he borrowed claiming
> that you gave those things to him. You're disappointed
> by the new developments but decide to simply
> discontinue the association and make no more agreements
> with him. Some time later, he notices that one of your
> garden plants produces a drug that you use occasionally
> because it makes you feel good. He thinks this is a sin
> and spends a few days screaming at you about how evil
> it is for you to use the plant that way. You put up
> with it as much as you can sticking the wax in your
> ears again. You wake up one morning to find that having
> become frustrated by your disinterest, your neighbor
> has stolen into your garden and destroyed your plants.
>
> *** Commentary ***
> He obviously believes that his god wants him to do
> this. Is he behaving morally? His behavior is no
> different from the behavior of the tropical birds, the
> rodents and the first human that landed on the island.
> His relationship with you can no longer be said to be
> moral. The morality that justifies his behavior is
> moral pretense. You'd like to call this person
> "immoral" because he's not behaving as he "ought" to
> behave. He has the ability to live morally but chooses
> not to. But immorality is an aspect of morality and has
> no place in an amoral system. Morality and immorality
> don't really exist, they exist only subjectively, in
> the beholder's eye, or more precisely in the beholder's
> brain. When two humans live at peace with one another,
> their relationship can be called a moral one, but this
> is only because they share a certain fundamental,
> though subjective, value, that is, humans should above
> all live at peace with other humans. Although this
> moral sense is still illusion, it is fundamentally
> consistent. When two humans do not share this same
> fundamental value, when the fundamental value of one
> human is that humans should obey the mosaic law, the
> state law or some other law, when the value of humans
> living at peace with one another takes a secondary
> position in the "moral" sense of one human, that
> human's morality is more pretense than illusion.

In a society that has driving and other things
with people that do not have the self control
to know when to use or not use things
a action that normally would only effect that person
can have reprocussions.
Such as Clinton and Monica

--
Any person can stand adversity,
The true test is to give a person power.

If you treat a relationship as if you are the only one in it, eventually
you will be.

Atrocities happen when the people about you -
 start considering you surplus.

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of
others to differ from me in opinion"
      ---- Thomas Jefferson <br><br>

My Grandfather told me there are two kinds of people:
those who do the work and
those who take the credit.
He told me to be in the first group -
 there is less competition there. -