... far and wide!!

Bard

by Declan McCullagh
> 6:00 p.m. 19.Jan.2000 PST
> WASHINGTON -- Visions of stealthy black helicopters landing on your
lawn
> and disgorging Nomex-clad troops to steal your PGP keys aren't just
for
> conspiracy theorists.
>
> The Clinton administration wants to be able to send federal agents
armed
> with search warrants into homes to copy encryption keys and implant
> secret back doors onto computers.
>
> "When criminals like drug dealers and terrorists use encryption to
> conceal their communications, law enforcement must be able to respond
in
> manner that will not thwart an investigation or tip off a suspect,"
> Attorney General Janet Reno and Deputy Defense Secretary John Hamre
> wrote in a seven-page letter to Congress.
>
> The idea first surfaced in mid-1999, when the Justice Department
> proposed legislation that allowed them to obtain surreptitious
warrants
> and "postpone" notifying the person whose property they entered for 30

days.

> The Justice Department's thinking was that if a suspect was using
> data-scrambling encryption products, the FBI's G-men might need to
enter
> the suspect's home and install software to tap into and decipher
> scrambled communications.
>
> After vocal objections from civil liberties groups, the administration

> backed away from the controversial plan. The final draft of the
> Cyberspace Electronic Security Act (CESA) submitted to Congress had
> removed the secret-search portions.
>
> But the White House now appears to think it doesn't need new
legislation
> to enter a suspect's computer.
> The letter from Reno and Hamre to House Majority Leader Dick Armey
says
> that, in the future, the Feds will use "general authorities" when
asking
> judges to authorize so-called black bag jobs. Commerce Secretary
William
> Daley also signed the letter.
>
> They say that law enforcement should have the ability to "search for
> keys" without immediately notifying a suspect.
>
> According to legal experts, all current search warrants -- with the
> exception of the related category of wiretaps -- require police to
> inform the person his property was entered.
>
> Privacy groups say Americans should be alarmed.
> "It sounds like they're returning to the provision in CESA that they
> backed away from," says Barry Steinhardt, associate director of the
> American Civil Liberties Union.
>
> "The basic principle is that people who are the subject of searches
> should have notice and the opportunity to challenge the search. This
is
> particularly dangerous since it will be difficult to guarantee that
> evidence hasn't been tampered with," said Steinhardt. "What they are
> proposing to do is alter computer files. It's quite a chilling
> proposal."
>
> "What they're saying is that they want to eliminate that Fourth
> Amendment requirement or limit it so much to make it meaningless,"
said
> Dave Banisar, co-author of the Electronic Privacy Papers. The Fourth
> Amendment prohibits the government from conducting "unreasonable"
> searches and seizures.
>
> The Clinton administration cabinet officials wrote the letter this
month
> in their latest exchange with Majority Leader Armey. Although dated 7
> January, Armey's office said they received it on Wednesday.
>
> In Armey's letter to Reno on 27 September, the Texas Republican wrote:

> "Questions remain about the Administration's commitment to personal
> privacy.... While I understand that this [secret search] provision has

> been dropped from the most recent draft, the fact that it was ever
> proposed at all raises concerns in Congress."
> In its reply, the administration wrote, "You specifically ask whether
> law enforcement has the authority to search for keys without notifying

> the subject.
>
> Although some courts have permitted the government to conduct a
search,
in

--
Join the Militia of Montana Email Alert List by writing to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with "SUBSCRIBE" in the Subject Line!

For the latest in great survival, preparedness and politically incorrect
materials visit our Online Catalog at:

 http://www.montana.com/militiaofmontana/catalog.htm Some great deals
are to be had! Or, send $2.00 to the address below for a copy of our 40+
page Preparedness Catalog.

Militia of Montana
P.O. Box 1486, Noxon, MT  59853
Tel: 406-847-2735    n Fax: 406-847-2246

Remove yourself from this list by writing to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
type "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.