</A> -Cui Bono?-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

-

 A congressional whitewash

The Joint Committee on Taxation yesterday leaked its long-awaited report on
Internal Revenue Service political audits to a few select reporters.
Given the direction of the committee and its pitiful results after three
years, it's no wonder I wasn't one of them.

You see, I broke the story that led to the congressional investigation. On
Oct. 22, 1996, I first told the story of how the IRS targeted my
organization, the Western Journalism Center, which had broken a number of
stories the Clinton administration didn't like. The expose also provided
evidence of a pattern of such audits against other non-profit organizations
critical of the White House.

Within days of the story, Rep. Bill Archer, co-chairman of the Joint
Committee on Taxation, had demanded of IRS Commissioner Margaret Milner
Richardson all of the agency's records on the WJC case. Within weeks, the
Joint Committee had begun a probe. Within three months, Richardson had
resigned unexpectedly as commissioner.

The only problem is the committee never did its job. The committee never
bothered to contact me -- the guy who started it all. That should tell you a
lot right there. I had to contact the committee and fly to Washington at my
own expense just to meet with staff. They never bothered to get in touch with
me again. And guess who is the last one to get a courtesy copy of the
whitewash report?

I'm quite sure the committee never even bothered to examine a Treasury
Department report obtained by me last July through the Freedom of Information
Act. It concluded, quite clearly and unambiguously, that the audit of the
Western Journalism Center was launched as a result of a letter sent from the
White House to the IRS Exempt Organizations Division. The letter was written
to Bill Clinton from a constituent and it was critical of the center and
called for IRS action.

If that isn't a paper trail, I don't know what is. If that is not a direct
action by the White House, I don't know what it is. If that isn't an abuse of
power and political targeting, I don't know what else to call it.

As a result, that letter, addressed to Bill Clinton calling for revocation of
the tax-exempt status of the center and bearing the stamp of the White House,
remained at the top of the Western Journalism Center's IRS case file while
the audit took place.

No matter. I still believe the truth will come out. Maybe it will have to
come out in a court of law. After all, thanks to Larry Klayman's Judicial
Watch, we still have two lawsuits pending that will go a long way to proving
our case and securing justice.

The real question is: How long will it take? A new administration will take
power next January. What will its rules of engagement be? Will it have carte
blanche to run roughshod over the civil liberties and First Amendment rights
of media critics and political adversaries? If this precedent is allowed to
stand, that will be the case.

Bill Clinton abused his power by using the IRS to target and harass political
enemies and he got away with it. Who will be next? Will George W. Bush or Al
Gore have any reluctance to abuse power in similar ways? Why should they?

We're being told everyone does it. Does that sound familiar? That's why no
high officials have been held accountable for campaign finance violations.
Everyone does it. That's why the president wasn't removed from office for
committing perjury. Everyone does it. That's why no one has been prosecuted
for transferring sensitive missile technology to China. Everyone does it.

And now this. No action will be taken against the White House, because
everyone uses the IRS to go after political enemies. By that they mean
members of both political parties, members of both the executive branch and
the Congress.

I have no doubt that is true. But that is all the more reason we need to hold
those responsible for the illegal activity accountable. This must stop. The
very essence of our fragile republic is at stake.

It's time to blow open the closet doors of the Republicans and the Democrats
and have a good look at all the skeletons.

A daily radio broadcast adaptation of Joseph Farah's commentaries can be
heard at KTKZ in Sacramento and the Internet portal OnePlace.com

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,