</A> -Cui Bono?-

from abolish-l:

Every citizen, Mr. Bush, should be interested in what's behind the
walls. At current rates it won't be long before half of us are locked
up and the other half are keepers. If you choose to ignore them now,
be aware that most of these prisoners are due to be released one day,
and then the results will be in your world.

My prisoners are without power, and so am I, but together we are. . .

MAKING THE WALLS TRANSPARENT

Open letter to my Florida Prisoners

February 28, 2000

Hello again to my growing list of Florida prisoners. Although many of
you are still waiting on replies, you are very much on my mind. You
have responded in earnest and many of you still haven't gotten a
personal reply from me to your Christmas letters. I'm sorry and I'm
really trying. Some of you know I'm on the road a lot, doing prison
vigils, talking about you and your situation, and how it all affects
society out here.  I spend as much time as possible building your
WebPages. I am transcribing your information and posting it to an
unbelievably responsive email list of about 800 individuals, groups,
media, and list owners who are interested in what you have to say. Do
not stop reporting! I wish I could respond quickly and individually to
each of you. Try as hard as I can, this old lady keeps falling further
behind. Thus, this one letter is to you all, especially my Florida
prisoners.

All of you together are making a powerful picture of the state penal
system. Your reports definately are making the walls transparent and
the people are responding from South Africa, from England and
Scotland, Canada, the Himalayas, from every state in our union. Early
this week, the Washington Post printed an AP article about the
indictment of 4 of the guards who murdered Mr. Valdes at Starke,
calling Florida prisons the worst in the nation. Two TV stations, 2
radio stations, and one newspaper came to the vigil outside Starke on
February 15th (The day the justice department said we had our 2
millionth prisoner locked up. A clip of the Starke vigil was shown on
Comedy Central, the John Dailey Show. This week I was asked to do a 45
minute Rush Limbaugh warm up talk show about Florida Prisons. The
Starke situation will be a part of a soon to be released book by Dave
Ford, author of "Marijuana: Not Guilty As Charged." Dateline NBC has
assured me they are doing an investigative report and 60 minutes II
called about a report on florida prisons.  People are definately
hearing you.

I've gotten letters from you detailing many specific instances of
misuse/abuse, and reporting all manner of general corruption
heretofore unthought of, even by me. From all over the state, from the
mailroom to the laundry; from the budget for pest control to the
expired food they buy; from the commissary practices to the grievance
procedures; from guards selling prison supplies at flea markets to
affairs in the laundry room; from the medical care to the verbal,
mental, and physical abuse and deprivation, the reports support each
other.

There is an occasional Florida prison that could and should be a model
for lowering recidivism, like the federal prison on Eglin Air Force
Base. Some of you are lucky enough to live in one of the more humane
prisons, but on the whole, the Florida system is brutal. I'm sorry to
see the Random Acts of Kindness stories are all too rare, but y'all
can change that among yourselves. Make it happen and learn to see it
when it comes.

Now we need to talk about the next step. A good number of you are
already standing up, encouraging me to put your information on the
internet and to send it to the people and newspapers with your names
attached. Being first is always hard, and I commend your spirits.

Now I need to talk to the rest of you for a minute. If our website had
a hundred inmates listed, or a thousand, our power to get the story
told would increase dramatically. I have no way to protect you from
retaliation for speaking out, but I know if we banded together, we'd
be high profile and the eyes of the nation would come to bear on
Florida's prisons. Your descriptions are good, your complaints valid,
but many say if we can't step up and be named, our words have no
value. I understand your situation better than most, but we have to
move forward or we just lay down and let it go on forever.

I cannot guarantee your safety. You know that. I think only your sheer
numbers could do that. But, if you speak only to me, we are nearly
powerless.

What I can do out here is get the phone calls coming in to the
authorities, garner the attention of the media, the public, and the
authorities. Then you will all become 'high profile' prisoners, and
that in itself at least makes the guards follow the rules more
closely. Beating you while we are watching will only bring them
trouble. Ask Gary Waid. I won't deny you may get a DR. Gary did. He
got two . . . but he didn't get beaten. And he won't while we're
watching.  If we go high profile, you won't get beaten without
angering lots of people and the guards know that. Your warden also
doesn't need the publicity in light of recent negative exposure. I
know...It's a tough job, but we have to do it or it won't get done. I
promise to keep vigil as you make your stand.  Only you can decide if
the risk is worth the gain.

Truth be told, guards are little more than maids and watchdogs, once
the illegal powers they exercise are removed. The light of the truth
will accomplish that. You have to be aware that the only reason
sadistic guards get away with bad behavior is the same reason a daddy
gets away with molesting his child. FEAR. Fear really is your worst
enemy. They threaten you with things that can't be acted upon once
public. They'd be signing their own warrants. But if they can keep you
in silent fear, they will get worse and worse, answering to no one.
Until another Frank Valdes (God bless his soul) slows them down again.
When nine guards went too far and beat him to death, Starke and the
entire Florida system came under scrutiny that was too close for
comfort. Got 'em sweating.

You're going to have to be warriors now or you will be part of the
problem. If change for the better is to happen, it's vital that it
happen now. Your stand will affect, not just your future, but the
direction justice takes in the coming years, especially if this drug
war can't be halted and we keep looking for new reasons to lock up
people.

More and more the focus is on America's jaded penal system. My gosh,
the land of the free is now the number one jailer in the entire world.
Prison is being used as a first resort, when it should be the last.
Corporate politics have created this climate of hate and horror you
are living in, not your fellow inmates, nor even the worst guards.
Misuse of power doesn't work with animals; it doesn't work with
children, and it will never work with prisoners.

My concept for change is an independent citizen review board patterned
after the Detroit Police model. I envision this board with the power
of Jeb Bush behind it, with the ability to make unannounced
inspections; With the authority to investigate or call an
investigation of suspect situations. I think it is necessary to
require that inmate grievances be written in triplicate, with a copy
going to the prisoner, the prison, and one to the review board. To see
if the guards are being hired for abusive natures, or more likely
being trained that way, the perfect review board would go unannounced
through a hiring and training session to understand the issues.

Ultimately I'd like to see Michael Moore, Secretary of Corrections in
Florida, anxious to fire any guard who violates rules, whether it's
for selfish reasons or not. I'd like to see good guards step up to
report bad guard abuses, not just because they could go down too if
they don't, but because the spirit within them has moved them to help
create change. Won't that be the day?

But first we, inside and outside, have to stand up, work together, and
show cause. We have to be ready for change. We have to be examples for
those who would follow. If you will stand and be identified, let me
know. I will not leave you until the humanity of the people replaces
the callousness of power. And it definately will. We can make sure of
that.

One more thing that interests me - since the demographics in prison
have changed so drastically, more than half of you are not violent,
shouldn't there be enough prisoners that would like a little more
peaceful atmosphere that they can begin changing the prison culture
together from inside?

There's much that needs to be done, and while we are working on it,
you have to find some kind of peace among yourselves. I know you are
over crowded, you are righteously angry, you are disgusted with
corrupt authority and fearful of cruel keepers. Of course the tension
is high, but you are not each other's real enemy. And you have lots of
reason for hope...You are waking people to the need for change. My
strength, Love, and spirit go out to each of you as you make the
decision to join in paving the way for peace.

Come Walk the Walk with me.

In the spirit of Love,

Kay Lee

2613 Larry Court, Eau Gallie, FL 32935

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Journey For Justice III Florida Style
"From the Big House to Your House, Brother Jeb"
http://www.fairlaw.org/j4j3/j4j_3_florida.html
MAKING THE WALLS TRANSPARENT
http://www.zyworld.com/kay`lee/garywaid.htm
The Truth As I See It