From: "David Guyatt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The following is extracted from Bill Murphy's regular "Midas" gold market
commentary.  It is interesting because it again demonstrate that oil does,
indeed, have a "geopolitical" flavour to it - as it did back in 1973 when
Bilderberg was instrumental in causing a fourfold increase in oil (the
so-called "oil shock") and then cunningly blamed it on OPEC.  The end
result - as always - is that the tax-payer picks up the tab of the foreign
policy crowd without ever being asked or informed and the third world who
are reliant on oil get thrashed again.  Same crowd.  Same game.

I also like the bit about Bush junior and his Lebanese backers.

David

****
A very well connected Café follower sent me the
following regarding oil, gold, Middle East politics,
etc. I found it most intriguing as well as eye opening:

"I have been lately in contact with some very
knowledgeable persons who have both a deep
understanding and degree of involvement in the Middle
East peace process. They say the recent oil strength
has quite a strong geopolitical flavour to it and that
it is here to stay for a while. It is no secret to
anyone that Israel has unofficially claimed it needed
about $65 bln (some even mutter $100 bln) in order to
abandon the Golan Heights and withdraw from South
Lebanon within the scope of a global peace treaty. One
might ask "Where will the money come from?" Certainly
not the US, not directly at least.

"According to these sources, while there is no denial
that oil firms are experiencing some pumping & delivery
problems (e.g. Venezuela & gasoline), there undoubtedly
is another agenda aiming at raising the necessary funds
for a long awaited peace deal. In fact, it is the Arabs
(again) who will be providing the bulk of the funds,
certainly "helped" by the surge in oil prices, which
should still range between $28 & $40 in the coming 6
months until some positive developments unfold in the
region. I guess none of the players would oppose such
an orderly rise as long as it doesn't create any energy
panic or wreak havoc in the US. It might even cool off
a tad an overheating economy .

"Anyhow, the story goes even further. I am told that
one of the main and biggest Republican (read Bush Jr.)
party donors is billionaire Rafic Hariri, Lebanon's
former Prime Minister with extremely strong ties with
the Arabs, mainly the Saudis with whom he made his
fortune during the 70s. Wouldn't be surprised to see
Arab money indirectly rerouted towards Texas via local
oil corps. As an aside, you might recall that President
Chirac of France owes Hariri a large part of his
presidential victory and their strong friendship is
notorious. Hariri, if elected and parliament
permitting, would be quick to consider selling
Lebanon's 9 million ounces (roughly 300 tonnes) of gold
in order to restructure and repay its heavy debt. In
fact, Central Bank's governor, Riad Salame (ex Merrill
& given the post by Hariri himself) has already often
alluded to "effectively managing" the country's gold
reserves.

"It all seems very foggy at the present time, the
whereabouts are still largely unknown, but one thing is
certain: the oil price strength is here to stay and it
has deeper implications than most of us can imagine.

"Take it for what it's worth."

End.

DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2120/2/_/475667/_/953201635/