</A> -Cui Bono?-

>>>I went alookin' for some info on Neil Bush, Duh-Bya's little brother, and
came up with this for starters.  It seems the Bush boies are like little
statically charged thingies, attracted by and to those with an affinity for
dubious (DuhBya-ous ?) business practices.  This essay explores who gets the
all-expenses paid stay the Vertical Bar Hotel ... and who doesn't.  A<>E<>R <<<

From
http://www.evoyage.com/Snipettes/Politics2000a.htm

{{<Begin>}}

Essays and Theories
Politics2000: America's Criminal Justice System and the Resource Alignments:
An Evolutionary Perspective©
by
William A. Spriggs

Before you begin reading this essay, I must strongly insist that you read my
Evolutionary Snippet: The Littleton Shootings: An Evolutionary Perspective.
You may click here to take you to this essay. This will assist you greatly in
understanding my use of the resource alignments found in this particular essay.
In the Littleton essay, I used the Columbine High School as a setting with
group behavioral patterns of cliques and outcasts as a backdrop for our society
as a whole. This is not all that surprising because since the Littleton
shootings, in the back water electronic bulletin boards consisting of members
from the Human Behavior and Evolution Society, interest has been raised by some
of my colleagues that high schools represent controlled environments which
could approximate the hunter-gatherer clans of our primal ancestors in a social
context but that more study is needed to establish that assumption. Of
particular interest, consensus has been formed that the larger the school, the
greater the density and diversity of clans (cliques), and vice versa. The
basics are there; high schools are filled with both females and males of
approximately the same young age; born with the software of thousands of years
of evolution flowing through their veins and bursting forth with enthusiasms
and vehement emotions; all products of genetic heritage and molded by the
culture of a local environment. The average age of high schoolers today roughly
represents -- perhaps a bit on the younger side -- the age of our ancient Homo
sapiens in hunter-gatherer groups where they were most likely at their peak of
reproduction, hunting, mating, and social interactions; which includes war
between male members from opposing clans which initially battled for resources.
What may vary the behaviors in our present time from school to school is the
attention or non-attention of school authorities to disciplinarian measures and
cultural circumstances surrounding the school area. In this essay on Resource
Alignments and the American justice system, there can be no doubts that the
system is split into two resource directions; one for those with financial
resources and one for those without financial resources. I speculated that
these two polarities paid a role in the Littleton violence, and I have used two
elements from the Littleton essay: The Resource Retention Rule, and the
Resource Retention Alliances as they apply to the American Judicial System.

In late September of 1998, a 54 year-old male confessed to the Aspen Police and
the Pitkin County Sheriff's Department in Aspen Colorado that he had
misappropriated $6 million in business funds. The Federal Bureau of
Investigation was called into the case, but several months passed before the
man was even charged with the wrong for which he confessed. In an inquiry from
a reporter at The Denver Post, this male replied with a hand-written note: "I
used the money involved to pay business and personal obligations and make
unauthorized investments. I believe the shortfall is approximately six million
dollars."

The man that made that confession was Mr. Michael R. Wise, the former executive
in charge of the defunct Silverado Savings and Loan of Denver. Not until
February 5th, 1999 was a criminal complaint filed against Mr. Wise, which read
as follows:

Between 1995 and 1996, Wise received 12 loans from investors totaling nearly
$4.3 million. He used interest in limited liability corporations as collateral
for the loans. "Those interests, however, did not exist or otherwise were not
available to be pledged. Those that were available had a total of value of
$486,500."

Wise spent that $4.3 million between June 1, 1996, and Aug. 18, 1998.
(Approximately, $176,923 a month).

"He solicited and received from investors more money than was needed to make
the loans. He converted the excess money to his own use."
Between Nov. 7, 1996, and March 21, 1997, Wise solicited $1.25 million from 10
investors to fund a loan. The actual loan amount was $1.1 million. He pocketed
the additional $150,000.

On April 4th, 1999, Mr. Wise entered Federal Court and offered a guilty plea to
two count of wire fraud in the theft of 8.7 million dollars from investors. The
judge asked Wise, "Do you understand you will be a convicted felon?" "Yes,"
replied Mr. Wise, who up till that time only had a driving violation on his
police record. Sentencing was scheduled for July 6, 1999. (News reports do not
seem to indicate that Mr. Wise spent any time in jail since he confessed to the
authorities and The Denver Post. One must assume that he was free on bond or
free on his own recognizance).

When the big day arrived, U.S. District Judge Walker Miller sentenced Mr. Wise
to 42 months said that Mr. Wise "borrowed" the money and would have to make
restitution by repaying the borrowed money in the amount of $300 per month. At
that rate, each investor would receive only $7.90 a month, and it would take
2,430 years to years to repay the entire "loan." As for the remaining assets
that Mr. Wise has left after his "borrowing" spree, it has been valued at five
million dollars and has been put in receivership until further notice. Also
sentenced in the same case was his 23 year-old file clerk, Anne Liv Slemmons,
who "stole" $110,000 and will spend 96 months in a horrible, regular prison
unlike the more comfortable settings at Leavenworth that Mr. Wise will spend
his 42 months (Uh....that's without early out for good behavior). To give you
some street perspective on the "crime" that Mr. Wise committed, if the average
crack cocaine price between buyer and seller is $50.00, then that is the
equivalent of 174,000 street transactions taking place. That comes to 476
imagery transactions per day for 365 days; almost 20 per hour around the clock,
non-stop.

This is not the first time that Denver has seen Mr. Wise being brought before
the bar of Justice. As I mentioned previously, Wise was head of the Silverado
Savings and Loan which crashed in 1988 during the nation's savings and loan
crisis. Suspected of wrong-doing in the bank's failure, the government took
four years to build a case against him and other officials of the bank. In that
case, Wise was accused of stealing $500,000 of a $1.45 million Silverado loan.
The government alleged that he used the money to remodel the kitchen and
landscape his yard of his 1917 Tudor house located in the affluent Denver
Country Club area.

Managing to escape conviction in that case after four years of investigation
and trial by Federal investigators, Mr. Wise then drifted west and settled in
the wealthy skiing village of Aspen. Although banned from banking because of
his role with Silverado Banking, Mr. Wise then set up his own private lending
corporation, Cornerstone Private Capital, which made investments based on
investors mortgages. It seems as soon as he established himself in this
glamorous and wealthy community, Mr. Wise went to work and feasted on his
investors money. It has been strongly suggested that Mr. Wise admitted to his
guilt because he knew that he was about to be exposed and therefore lowering
any possible jail time. After all, how much money can one person steal in a
small community without someone catching on?

What's going on here? Is there an evolutionary perspective being played out on
the stage of human behavior? Why is it that Mr.Wise, who admitted to "using"
8.7 million dollars of his clients money received a sentence of only 42 months,
when his lowly file clerk, Ms. Slemmons, who stole only 1.26% of the amount
that her boss "borrowed," will spend 96 months in jail? Why is it that Mr.
Wise, who "borrowed" more money than fifty crack dealers could possibly sell in
one year, and then when caught and convicted, are thrown in jail and have their
keys of their cells thrown out the Window? Why is there such disparity in the
sentencing in these two individuals and with the general criminal population?
Why was Mr. Wise handled with kid gloves?

It is my speculative theory, that seen through the lens of evolutionary
perspective, what transpired is that Mr. Wise, in the eyes of the court, is a
high-ranking member of the culture that controls and dominates our American
society today. Giving a light sentence to Mr. Wise is an acknowledgement of
unwritten social norms that special privileges are to be given, and mistakes
made by these individuals minimized, in order to court favor from these people
in return for a possible favor from them at some later date. It means that the
judge in this case was displaying a submissive role and acknowledging Mr.
Wise's superior rank, not the other way around as a judge on high staring down
on a lowly street criminal. (It also symbolizes high-rank of the individual
from an evolutionary perspective). It is, as I have suggested in my Littleton
shootings essay, a form of resource alliance bias by the court.

At this point in our discussion, my fellow liberals tend to mistakenly further
quantify Mr. Wise from a phenotype standpoint, i.e., that he is a wealthy,
tall, non-fat, white male of central-European descent who once dwelled in the
high social circles of the financial world; but that matters not one wit. What
matters is that in our planet's long history, this variant of our species is
considered dominate through a series of cascading historical events. (read
Jared Diamond’s Pulitzer prize winning book, Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates
of Human Societies, W.W. Norton, New York, 1997). If we lived on an imagery
planet, which we will call Zeon, he could very well have been green-skinned,
weighing three hundred pounds while only standing two feet tall; what matters
are the social norms that Homo sapiens have created that allow favoritism to
flow toward those in the higher ranks of our society. It is a bias in which
members of lower lower rank behave in a manner submissive and helpful to those
of the higher rank with the presumed belief that favors will be returned and
they will also be "allowed" to join these vaulted inner circles and the
advantages that such positions hold. This is common practice amongst various
species of primates, in particular, our closest relative, the chimpanzee, whom
we share 98.6% of our genetic makeup.

In his world, Mr. Wise had (and still might have) the social connections and
networking of those in our American society who are fortunate to have acquired
enormous wealth from alliances of similar persons. To prove that point, at one
time, one of the former President's sons, Neil Bush, served on the board of the
defunct Silverado. You don't get a then vice-president's son on your company's
board of directors if you are a loser with no connections. My theory, which is
derived from an evolutionary perspective, is that alliances have been formed
that surround and protect members of this important membership. It is not a
conscious, well mapped-out strategy, but merely the result of thousands of
years of socialization norms being sculptured from the stored cultural memories
of our past experiences and having them expressed in outward mechanisms adapted
to today's circumstances. In short, we review actions in our living or learned
past of similar situations and adapt actions acceptable to a particular problem
today. In this particular situation concerning Mr. Wise, the judge decided that
tall this rich, white, male of European descent, who was well-connected, did
not commit a crime -- he committed, "a judgement error." He did not steal, "he
borrowed."
The words of our founding fathers state that all men are created equal and
should be treated equally under the law. But the sad truth of the matter is
that because of the accumulation and division of resources, we have created two
judicial systems: one for the wealthy who can afford representation before the
court, and those who are poor and rely on court appointed representations. The
court system is divided in their decision making by moving the scale of
punishment strongly favoring those who have resources and against those that do
not, while at the same time, vehemently denying that such a disproportionment
of justice is occurring. The value of a person's character and actions seems
wholly dependent on a person's resource accumulation and social hierarchy. I
feel that this is not a healthy situation in our society as it creates a
Resource Differential Intolerance Ratio in those that do not have resources at
their command; this could lead to social unrest. It also breeds arrogance and
disrespect for the law in those that have the advantage of such justice and
could lead to their continued abuse of the system. As in biology, if there is
no negative chemical response or punishment to instruct the organism, then the
obvious conclusion is that the activity will continue or even be encouraged as
it assist in the passing of one's genes.

Deep in the back of our minds we know the truth that our judicial system is
unbalanced; those that have the advantage deny it, and those who are weak,
poor, and disenfranchised express their dismay but have little clout in
changing the system. It is, as Tooby and Cosmides have taught us, that we not
only have evolved to be deceivers of facts to others in order to achieve
whatever objective we seek, but that it can also be said with equal strength
that we can become self-deceivers in order to perpetuate our genes as well. We
can deny the truth to ourselves in order to create a conclusion which we feel
will benefit ourselves, our immediate family, and generations of our clans into
the future. Is it part of our biological heritage to deceive and to take
advantage of the moment? Yes, I think so. But those genetic actions are muted
by thousands of years of social interactions within the groups in which we live
and must conform in order to receive maximum benefits. In our modern culture,
would we consider the deception lacking moral fiber? Biology has nothing to do
with morality; moral rules are humankind's rules for behavior, and morality
changes to suit those who control the cultural at their particular reference
point on the planet. I call that behavior at a particular location, Cultural
Longitude and Latitude.

I'm going to make a very broad and sweeping statement here as seen through the
lens of an evolutionary perspective that seems slightly out of kilter but makes
sense when we see such a lopsided justice system dispensed in such a manner:
That the American Justice system of powerful policing, unequal court decisions,
and incarcerations are a substitute for the acts of violence and dominance --
and in some cases, the killing of opponents once practiced by our dominate
ancestors that kept submissive opponents away from the prize of any stored,
accumulated resources. This ultimate endeavor, I hazard to guess, was achieved
by the acts of social Darwinism that many in the evolutionary community have
great difficulty dealing with. Our ancestral genes cry out that our opponents
should die, but our higher minds keep us from slipping into the morass of being
uncivilized dolts. Instead, we use all excuses to incarcerate individuals that
we don't want to breed; throw them in an enclosed box that sometimes is smaller
than that in which we would place a primate; then turn our back on them. We
preach the words that an unborn fetus should be saved at all costs, yet our
motions belie our words of life's sanctity when acting against members of
minorities that are evolved in even the smallest of crimes. We treat them with
disrespect and care nothing of their lives; their dreams; their passions; their
loves, and hatreds. We let their minds grow weak from non-use and verbally
abuse them into hating themselves. It is a kinder, gentler form of death.

Before there were courts of law, there was lawlessness. Dominated by males
through the physical strength of their nature, the male of our species acquired
the position of being the "better" man. To the victor, went the spoils. In the
environment of the ancestral rain forests that meant the hierarchical position
of being Able Ape, Top Dog, Number One, Big Cheese, or Big Man On Campus. In
the forest, it also meant the first to eat any food stores found, and the first
to access women in estrus. Evolution is about reproductive success and the
resources that one obtains. But because our ancestors lived in groups that
varied in sizes from 40 to 150, our Top Dog could not expect to be in that
position unless he shared. When he did share, it was with people he trusted to
maintain his status (Resource Retention Rule) and the rewards that came with
that position; for this, our Top Dog formed alliances. And if we fast forward
to today's modern Justice system, and we pick apart the various participants,
we most likely will find the exact same mechanisms interacting amongst
themselves in place today; driven by genes and heavily influences by local
environmental cultures -- with of course, different players, different
locations, and ultimately, different cultures regulating behaviors.

In my evolutionary world of primal behaviors that are tied to modern social
cultures, we try our hardest to not look at race or ethnic origins. Oh, things
like skin color, hair texture, nose shapes, ethnic origins, and religious
differences do exist, but what evolutionary psychologists attempt to do is go
to back even further into the deep soul of humankind and seek the
universalities of all of our behaviors. We seek the core elements of human
behaviors at their most elementary levels and try to explain them in context of
the present cultural environment.

When I began this essay, I had every intention of igniting the flames of
passion with statistics of police profiling; traffic stops; consent searches;
reasonable suspicion; ineffective indigent representations, differences in
Crack Cocaine and Power cocaine sentencing, and Supreme Court decisions
refusing to rule on racial sentencing disparities in order to move you students
to action. But as a well-read and highly educated individual, you already knew
that. What you may not have known nor understood is why. I want to finish with
a quote from David Cole's No Equal Justice: Race and Class in the American
Criminal Justice System, The New Press, New York, 1999. p. 13.

"In order to rebuild communities, we must forgo our reliance on mass
incarceration -- a policy that has robbed inner-city neighborhoods of whole
generations of young men. We respond to crime today in a self-defeating way, by
stigmatizing criminal subcultures that encourage further criminal behavior. In
doing so, we undermine one of the most important deterrents to crime: a sense
of belonging to a law-abiding community."
In fact, I'm going to do something different that I have never done with any
other essay. I'm going to offer this book for sale right now from Amazon.com ,
so that in a few days, you can find the citations for  of this two tier system.
The book has not one word concerning evolutionary perspectives. It sticks to
the book's title with just the facts. This essay just gave you the why.
Origin: July 28, 1999

No Equal Justice : Race and Class in the American Criminal Justice System
by David Cole