</A> -Cui Bono?-

April 1 2000  BRITAIN

Law lord mocks the Masonic handshake

BY FRANCES GIBB, LEGAL EDITOR

 THE most senior British judge, who is also a Freemason, has attacked the
"extraordinary nonsense" of the Masonic handshake, saying that he cannot take
"the ritual and secrecy" of the craft "at all seriously".
In an interview in the spring issue of Freemasonry Today, Lord Millett, who
as a law lord is one of the most senior judges in Britain, says that the
handshake is not used out of the lodge and if anyone tried to use it with him
he probably would not recognise it out of context.

The cult of secrecy which the craft fostered until recently as a reaction to
Nazi persecution has been counterproductive, he says. Lord Millett also
favours an open register. "Personally I would much prefer that every person
who becomes a Mason joins a lodge, goes on a lodge membership list and that
is automatically forwarded to Grand Lodge and anyone who wants to find out
can look it up."

Lord Millett, 66, who is highly regarded within his field of commercial law,
is also a Royal Arch Grand Officer. His views will carry weight within the
ranks of Freemasonry, although he makes clear that he is not speaking for the
Grand Lodge.

He says that Freemasons should openly admit to membership, and says that
"there is no reason why the aprons and the regalia" should not be pictured.

Although Lord Millett - who says his membership brings "fellowship, a night
out with the boys" - wants greater openness, he still argues that some
aspects of the craft must remain veiled in mystery. Parts of the initiation
ceremony, he claims, are "very moving". If made public, the initiate
Freemason would know what was coming.

"The whole beauty of the ceremony is that he does not know what is in store
for him. He takes an awful lot of that on trust."

When he was invited to join, aged 36, one of his barrister colleagues said
that he "hoped I had put on a good pair of underpants!" Lord Millett recalled
"being led around in the dark, blindfold, and there was me in this ridiculous
garb and knowing that I was in full public gaze of a whole lot of my
associates and professional colleagues . . . I realised no one was laughing
and I felt they had all been through it too . . . I don't think that should
be spoiled."

Lord Millett uses his interview to praise the moral principles behind the
Freemasons as "a 19th-century English message deserving of wider
dissemination".

However, the law lord enters a legal caveat in his appeal for Masonic
glasnost. He fears that the Government's plans for a public register of all
Freemasons in the criminal justice system could prompt litigants to demand
that judges stand down from cases.

Under the Government's plans, judges will all be asked whether they are
Freemasons for the purposes of the register. They do not have to answer but a
refusal to do so will also be registered.

A spokesman for the Lord Chancellor's Department said that the form of the
register, and the arrangements for public access, were still "under
consideration".

Lord Millett said that a litigant who came before him with an appeal was
taking a case to the European Court of Human Rights after discovering that he
was a Mason, the solicitor to his opponent was a Mason and the deputy judge
who tried the case was a Mason.

"I knew the deputy judge was Freemason because we are in the same lodge. But
the idea I would dismiss an appeal [against] him because he was a fellow
member of my lodge is ridiculous."