</A> -Cui Bono?-

----- Original Message -----
From: Ruth Caplan
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 5:55 PM
Subject: [a16-international-planning] Structural Adjustment in DC

Greetings mobilizers,

The local outreach committee formed as part of the Mobilization organizing
in Washington DC has been making the link between structural adjustment by
the World Bank and IMF in the global South and structural adjustment taking
place here in the United States and especially in Washington DC. As part of
this effort we have written to Mayor Anthony Williams and the DC City
Council protesting the planned eviction of poor, Latino and African American
tenants. The letter, approved by the Spokes Council, follows below. When we
protest for global justice, we want to stand with our brothers and sisters
in DC who are suffering injustice in the nation's capitol.
In Struggle and solidarity, Ruth

DA: March 29, 2000
TO: Mayor Anthony Williams and Members of the DC City Council
FROM: Mobilization for Global Justice
RE: Moratorium on Evictions

We are writing to you in support of and in solidarity with our brothers and
sisters at CARECEN (Central American Resource Center), the 1458 Columbia
Road NW Tenant's Association and other community-based groups in Columbia
Heights and in other low-income, immigrant-rich, people-of-color communities
whose housing is threatened by actions by city officials, property owners
and developers/investors.

In the guise of holding slumlords accountable, the city is, in fact,
threatening to remove tenants from their homes and allow these same
slumlords to sell substandard buildings to developers who will profit
handsomely from developing the land with commercial buildings and upper
income housing. We understand that approximately 50 buildings are slated to
be shut down. This would translate to the eviction/dislocation of up to
1,200 people, beginning as soon as early April, leaving them with virtually
no resources nor recourse.

We call on you to order and/or enact an immediate moratorium on all
evictions.

There needs to be full disclosure and opportunity for community hearings and
input. This is in keeping with the mayor's community dialogues which were
held last fall. It is also important to note that many of the tenants in
question do not speak English and therefore require additional time and
interpretative resources.

We support the city administration taking legal action against the slumlords
in this city, but such action must require slumlords to make all needed
repairs to the buildings and to allow tenants to remain in the buildings
rather than allowing owners to profit when their buildings are shut down and
tenants evicted. It is time for those responsible for these deplorable
housing conditions to be held accountable in this way and to be required to
pay all fees and taxes owed the city.

The Mobilization for Global Justice is made up of organizations based in the
District and from around the country who have united in opposition to the
destructive structural adjustment and lending policies of the IMF and World
Bank.

We are concerned that the same structural adjustment objectives of shrinking
the public sector through budget cuts and privatization initiatives are
being pursued in the United States in response to pressure from corporate
interests that stand to benefit financially from such changes. Tragically,
the poor bear the brunt of these insidious policies, both at home and
abroad.

As we mobilize for global justice, we stand with Columbia Heights and other
District communities in their struggle for justice. We hope we can be proud
of the action taken by the city administration and the City Council to
ensure justice in the nation's capitol. We anticipate your response to our
request for a moratorium on all evictions and for community hearings.

Mobilization for Global Justice Office
c/o Greenpeace
1436 U Street NW
Washington DC 20009