</A> -Cui Bono?-

Gene Sequence Finished
http://www.xtra.co.nz/homepage/news/main/0,1081,News%3AWorld+News%3A171819,0
0.html

05:37AM Fri Apr 07 2000 NZST
Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent
WASHINGTON, April 6 (Reuters) - Celera Genomics said on Thursday it had
finished the first step of sequencing the genes of one person, making a
human genetic map that could eventually transform medicine and biology.

The U.S. company aims to be the first to have a complete sequence of the
human genome, which is the collection of all the genes and other genetic
material that are the basic blueprint of life.

Scientists will use this map to learn more about genes involved in disease,
how medicines work, and the workings of basic human biology.

"This is the key milestone," Craig Venter, chairman and chief scientific
officer of Celera, said in an interview.

The Rockville, Maryland-based company's shares rose US$28 on the news to
$141.

Celera plans to use the genes of five different people, who will remain
anonymous, to make up a final human genome sequence. It will copy this
sequence several times over to make sure it is correct.

It started working on the human genome in September, using a method called
whole genome shotgun sequencing. This is a different, quicker method from
that used by a public alliance of researchers, called the Human Genome
Project, which is also working to sequence the human genome.

"Now that we have completed the sequencing of one human being's genome we
will turn our computational power to the task of ordering the human genome,"
Venter said.

"For the next several weeks we'll be working on assembly," he added. "This
is expected to allow researchers worldwide and our subscribers to utilize
our data to make important medical advances."

Celera has been accused of failing to keep its promise to make the human
genome information widely available. But Venter told a hearing of the U.S.
House Energy and Environment subcommittee of the Committee on Science on
Thursday he would keep that promise.

"We will be publishing the assembled, accurate, annotated sequence," he told
the committee.

The sequence is only a very early first step to understanding the human
genome. It does not tell scientists what the genes do -- it just gives the
order of the nucleotides, which are the molecules that make up the twisted
double helix of DNA.

Celera has taken the genes and broken them apart into two different lengths.
It uses standard genetic technology to read out the nucleotides -- known by
the initials A, C, T and G. These four nucleotides repeat over and over
again in varying patterns, and these patterns make up the genetic code.

What Celera has now is what has been described as a big pile of jigsaw
puzzle pieces. It will now use its powerful computers to read the A, C, T
and G code and put together the pieces.

Mark Adams, vice president for genome programs at Celera, said the five
people were chosen for their diversity. "They are not five white guys," he
said in a recent interview.

The Human Genome Project, in contrast, is using a "mosaic" of about 10
different donors. Most of the sequence will come from one person's genes.
He, too, will remain anonymous.

Scientists then hope to compare various people's different genes to one
another to find the tiny changes in the code that make one person different
from another.

"We stand to gain enormous benefits, not the least of which is the way
medicine will be practiced in the new millennium," Neal Lane, scientific
adviser to President Bill Clinton, told the House hearing.

----
© Copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.