</A> -Cui Bono?-

Joshua, not voting is NOT an option for me. There are several factors
driving my feelings here. First, even with all its flaws, the individual
vote is the one most powerful weapon in the hands of the citizen. This is
the ONLY country on this planet where revolution is built into the
fundamental documents of the government. Refusing to vote means opting out
of the possibility of change in the system. Second, with all ITS flaws, the
Democratic Party is still thousands of times better than the Republicans.
The Republican Party has been taken over by reactionary, racist yahoos in
the hip pockets of the Religious Reich, and I want to kick the S.O.B.s out
of the Congress, and I sure as hell don't want to see Bush II in the White
House. Yes, Al Gore is a globalist...but I would MUCH rather have a
Democratic globalist in the White House than have a Republican question mark
installed as Imperator. Third, and this is the key, alongside voting AGAINST
the Republicans, I want to see local communities build their own parallel
institutions to provide goods and services outside the "free market"
economy. THAT is where the deepest, most fundamental change will take place.
Everyone knows that the present system is broken. The only way to change it
is to REPLACE it, and the best way to replace it is to grow a NEW system
alongside it that will become so much better, more efficient, and more
responsive that it simply causes the old system to curl up and wither away.
I know there are inherent contradictions in what I've just said, but what
the hell...nobody ever accused me of consistency, and besides, how much
consistency do you want when I just got out of bed? ;^)

Bob