From: "Bob Stokes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
><<We have no idea what was in the mother's mind; according to her own
>mother, she had a good life in Cuba, and according to her mother
>was not unhappy and was not political.  Her mother has been quoted as
> >saying she suspects the new husband was behind the decision to
>leave Cuba, and she believes her daughter was pressured into going.
> >Hardly the description of someone seeking political asylum.>>
>
>I didn't hear this, but I wonder if her Mother was pressured into >saying
>that.

I'm sure there was at least subliminal pressure, if not overt pressure.  The
mother isn't going to come right out and say her
daughter hated Castro, is she?

But there was something in her account that rang true...she really seems to
feel her daughter was apolitical, and was happy in her
job.  So if the daughter, Elian's mother, really was apolitical, then one
does have to ask what prompted her to get on that boat?

>I have no trust of Castro.  I still remember the Cuban Missle Crisis
>when I was 11 years old and living in Houston, which was a probable >target
>of those missles.

As was the NYC metro area where I live...and I well remember the 'duck and
cover' A-bomb drills we were put thru in school, because my hometown, being
the site of two major military contractors, was considered a prime target,
too.

Do I 'trust' Castro?  No.  But I don't trust most of our own politicians,
either.

But that matters not a whit in this case.  What matters is returning a child
to his father, irregardless of the politician we don't trust who's in
charge.

><<I'm not so sure it's government elites we should be looking for, >but
>other 'elites'....>>
>
>Could you be more specific, speculate a little.

Cui bono?

>  <<A man can be stalked as easily as a woman can be...>>
>
>Anyone who knew me, wouldn't stalk me ... they would know I have a >12
>gauge.  I couldn't imagine being stalked by a woman.

Your 12-gauge would be worthless against a cyberstalker, someone who you
probably don't even have the correct name for, let alone
know where they live...

><< Sure it's a case of U.S. law.  It is applied every day to illegal
>immigrants from countries other than Cuba.  It is applied to
>  Haitians and Mexicans.
>
>  There is no reason for 'international law' to become involved.  It >is
>solely the province of U.S. immigration law.
>
>  And since when did 'international law' take precedence over the
> >Constitution of the United States, and the laws of the sovereign >states
>of the Union?>>
>
>You have again made a very valid point when you mention the >immigration
>laws.
>  You are absolutely right about that, and I'm wrong.

FYI, listening to the Rivera show on CNBC as I type this, lawyer Gerry
Spence just said that international law states that the child
should be given back to the father...

June

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters