From: Conspiracy Theory Research List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of MICHAEL SPITZER
Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2000 7:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [CTRL] NOW For The REST Of The Elian Story: A letter to Elian
Gonzalez (fwd)

March 31, 2000

Dear Elian,

Please forgive me for writing to you in English. Three semesters
of Spanish, and I can't remember a thing!

Also, please forgive us Americans for standing back and allowing
the child abuse you are now experiencing. Normally, in this
country, we arrest adults who put children through trauma and
exploitation. Normally, we arrest adults like the Mayor of Miami
who call for violence and incite a riot. Normally, in this
country, we arrest terrorists and either jail or deport them.

Unfortunately for you, we are doing none of this. I apologize. I
can only imagine what you are going through. You do not deserve
this treatment.

You are being told that your mother died trying to bring you to
freedom. I am so sorry to have to tell you, that's not true. The
Cuban court granted your father custody of you, and your mother
decided to kidnap you. She placed your life in horrible jeopardy
by putting you in a leaky, overcrowded raft that eventually sank,
killing everyone but you. History is filled with many people who
risked their lives escaping to another country because, had they
stayed, they would have been imprisoned or killed.

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters