From: "Kris Millegan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> They speak of "returning Elian" to his father. This is stated as if the boy
> was taken from his father. They ignore the fact that Elian's father did not
> have custody of the boy while Elian lived in Cuba. Ellian lived with his
> mother and step-father.

Not completely true.  First off, Elian's mother had not remarried, therefore her new
boyfriend was not technically Elian's
stepfather.  Also, Juan Miguel's mother-in-law, Elian's mother's own mother, has
stated that Juan Miguel looked after Elian 3 to 5
days a week while her daughter was at work.

> He had not lived with his father for the last three
> years. And when a boy is only six years old, three years is tantamount to a
> lifetime. If we look at how six-year-old children remember life, then
> mentally Elian has lived with his family in Miami much longer than he lived
> with his biological father in Cuba. It is doubtful that he has any real
> memories of living with his biological father at all.

Juan Miguel has provided photographs documenting all the time, and all the activities,
that he and his new wife participated in with
Elian.

> Reno has seen to it that Elian's father was given a visa to come to the
> United States-something virtually impossible for Cubans to get.

Strange...just tonite on the news (CBS, I think) they showed the long line of Cubans
who queue up every day in Havana to get
visas...it was obvious they were getting them, albeit in a lengthy, drawn out
process...

> The same
> thing happened when the boy's grandmothers visited a few weeks earlier. She,
> of course, ignores the fact that Castro will only let family members leave
> provided other family members are left behind. He is not yet willing to
> abandon all his hostages.

And you ignore the fact that some Cubans are quite satisfied with the status quo, and
have no desire to leave their country.

> Now the radical Left frequently condemns child labor regardless of the stage
> of economic development in the country where it is taking place. They have
> made their position quite clear: child labor is wrong under all
> circumstances. Well, almost under all circumstances. The Left and Reno are
> quite happy to send Elian back to a country with government-enforced child
> labor. Recently on Larry King both Gloria Estefan and the daughter of Fidel
> Castro (who wants Elian to stay in the United States) said that children in
> Cuba are taken from their parents and put into communist labor camps.

Then how can Cuba boast a 98% literacy rate, if all these kids are taken out of school
and put to work in labor camps?

> CNN's proCastro reporter Lucia Newman quickly called from Havana to correct
> the two women. She said they were wrong in saying that 11-year-old children
> are forced to work the fields for four months.

Until relatively recently in the history of the U.S., so did American kids.  They were
called farm children, and it's why we still
have public schools closed for almost 3 months in the summer -- this came about due to
children being needed back home during those
months to help out in the fields.

> But she acknowledged that children are forced to labor for the state in
> various occupations for one month.

And your objection is?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with requiring 11-year-old children being required to
'labor...in various occupations for one month',
whether for the state or for their local community or for their local charity or
church...it would keep them off the streets and
from getting in trouble.

June

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters