Washington Times
April 27, 2000
Pg. 19

Voices Of Europe Die Out: Freedom of the press under assault

By Christopher H. Smith

Something alarming is under way in parts of Europe and the former
Soviet Union that cries out for our immediate attention. Freedom of
speech, that liberty we Americans hold so dear, is slowly
disintegrating and few have noticed as the voices of millions are
gradually silenced. A free media allows a vibrant marketplace for
ideas, and responsible investigative reporting is a crucial foundation
for accountability among public offices and protections for
consumers.
In testimony before the Commission on Security and Cooperation in
Europe (the Helsinki Commission), which I chair, details were
presented
of the deterioration of freedom of the media in many of the countries
that agreed to commitments in the 1975 Helsinki Final Act and
subsequent documents of the 55-nation Organization for Security
and
Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE commitments center on
democracy
and freedoms we Americans find in the Bill of Rights, including
speech
rights. In the course of the past 10 years, 153 journalists have been
killed in the line of duty in OSCE countries. Almost one-third of the
34 journalists killed in the world in 1999 died in OSCE countries.
The
Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) documented 87 cases of
journalists who were held in prison at the end of 1999. They also
detailed less headline-grabbing forms of attack: legal action,
including fines and imprisonment, threats or physical attacks on
journalists or news facilities; censorship, and harassment - denying
journalists access to information, denying them visas necessary for
their work, or confiscating or damaging their materials, and cases of
journalists missing, kidnaped, or expelled from a country. The
OSCE
representative on Freedom of the Media, Freimut Duve, and his
office
have been involved in freedom of expression issues in countries as
varied as Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia,
Georgia, Kazakstan, Kyrgyzstan, the former Yugoslav Republic of
Macedonia, Moldova, Uzbekistan, Romania, the Russian
Federation, Slovak
Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Ukraine and in the
Federal
Republic of Yugoslavia. Mr. Duve's summation is, "It is a bleak
picture." Why is this happening? While I agree with the CPJ about
the
general economic situation, ownership of the media by elites, and
the
rise of conflict, we need to recognize that government repression is
part of the problem and decry the failure of parliamentary colleagues
abroad to fulfill their OSCE commitments. I encourage my
parliamentary
colleagues in Europe and members of the intelligentsia - who have
never
been that strongly committed to individual rights anyway - to stay
focused on the fundamental principles of liberty. The price of
freedom
is eternal vigilance against an intrusive state, but it appears that
traditional European statism has gained sway. We have seen this
deterioration occur through the gradual de-emphasis by the OSCE
states
of holding each other accountable to its commitments. In July, the
U.S.
delegation to the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly meeting in
Bucharest,
Romania, will raise these concerns with our parliamentary
colleagues.
Members of the Helsinki Commission are joining me in asking
Secretary
of State Madeleine Albright to address freedom of expression
issues
with the regimes in Central Asia when she visits next week. We are
asking her to express our shared concerns in the most public and
direct
way possible, so that the people of each country in the region
know the
American people stand behind them in their struggle for freedom
and
against tyranny. In Kazakstan, which seemed on the right track in
the
early 1990s, President Nazarbaev's family members have seized
control
of the country's media outlets. The opposition newspaper XXI Vek
has
come under intense harassment and censorship by the authorities
and
most recently has been forced to suspend normal publication. In an
attempt to muzzle independent press and journalists, Kyrgyzstan's
President Akaev has initiated a series of costly libel suits against
Res Publika, Asaba, and Vercherny Bishkek. Res Publika has
been forced
to cease publication recently by the authorities, who have imposed
stiff fines against the weekly. Uzbekistan continues to impose
lengthy
prison sentences against journalists and exercises strict controls
on
mass media. Muhammad Bekjanov, Iusuf Ruzimuradov and Shadi
Mariev are
each serving prison sentences of 11-15 years stemming from their
professional activities. Mr. Mariev's plight is of particular concern
given his poor health. We can only hope that by stepping forth now
and
strongly standing by our mutual commitment to democracy and
individual
freedoms - especially the freedom of speech - we can stem this
democratic erosion and prevent the bleak future that is otherwise
sure
to come.

--
Kathleen

Here's your enemy for this week, the government
says.  And some gullible Americans click their heels
and salute - often without knowing who or even where
the enemy of the week is. - Charley Reese (1998)

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters