Click Here: <A
HREF="http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=202097&BRD=1281&PAG=461&action
=13">New Haven Register</A>
-----
RANDALL BEACH: Robed ones roam campus and add to the curiosity

Randall Beach   April 09, 2000The annual ritual is upon us: dozens of masked,
black-robed and hooded Yalies are roaming the campus, playing out their
"pre-tap" and "tapping" ceremonies for the secret societies.According to a
report in the Yale Daily News, prospective members of these societies
Thursday night were gamely participating in bizarre initiation rites.

For instance, Carmen Diaz was made to dress up as a butterfly and stand
outside Au Bon Pain on the corner of Broadway and York Street, offering free
massages.

Meanwhile, on Old Campus, dozens of the robed ones (one with a torch)
surrounded blindfolded "tappees" who were lying on the ground, listening to
some mumbo-jumbo chanting.

Unless you're Batman or a member, it's impossible to penetrate the seven
mysterious, windowless stone edifices where society members sequester
themselves.

But when I recently investigated the most notorious of these societies —
Skull and Bones — I had a grand old time splashing around in the manuscripts
and archives area of Yale's Sterling Memorial Library.

The reason for doing the story was the debut of the thriller movie "The
Skulls," loosely based on Skull and Bones.

Most reviewers say the movie is a turkey, so I haven't bothered to see it. My
entertainment came from doing the library research and trying to interview
Bonesmen and Boneswomen.

When I learned the names of a few such individuals from deep, deep sources, I
called Alderman Julio Gonzalez, D-1, a 1999 Yale graduate.

Gonzalez admitted he was a member of Skull and Bones, but added, "I will keep
to the code of silence."

Next on my list was Janet Wagner, director of the All Our Kin child-care
center.

"Bad things will happen to me if I talk about this," she said.

A moment later she retracted this statement, added, "I wish you luck" and
hung up.

Eventually I did reach a member (they call each other "G.B.," meaning "Great
Bones") who agreed to tell me about life inside "the Tomb" at 64 High St.

But of course I couldn't use his name. Just imagine what George W. Bush, his
pappy and any other "G.B." would do to this guy for breaking "the code."

I won't rerun his quotes, as they appeared in my news article, but what
surprised me most of all was the Skull and Bones "no drinking" rule.

So they're sober when they're undergoing their "confessionals" and other
antics? How bizarre is that?

Anyway, my splashing around in the manuscripts and archives room yielded some
amusing anecdotes about Skull and Bones.

Here's my favorite: When Kingman Brewster, class of 1941, was a junior, he
was perceived as "G.B." material. But instead of making himself available to
be tapped, this future Yale president hid in a bathroom stall of his
dormitory.

The "G.B." eventually found Brewster, yanked at the stall's door and shouted
the awesome question: "I offer you election to Skull and Bones! Accept or
reject?"

Brewster did not budge. He merely called out his astounding response:
"Reject."

The encounter was revealed in the Yale Class Book of 1968, which concluded,
"This may explain why students today refer to their president, very simply,
as a 'stud.'"

©New Haven Register 2000Back to top     E-mail this story to a friend   Voice
your opinion on this story      Questions or coments? Email the Webmaster.

     Copyright © 1995-2000 PowerAdz.com, LLC. Zwire!, AdQuest, AdQuest
Classifieds, AdQuest 3D & are Trademarks of PowerAdz.com, LLC. All Rights
Reserved.
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,
All My Relations.
Omnia Bona Bonis,
Adieu, Adios, Aloha.
Amen.
Roads End

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters