Indeed Samantha, this court is very reactionary in a "Right Wing" sense on many
issues, but interestingly they do NOT follow a strict agenda, some decisions have been
good for personal rights.  I share your concerns regarding where all this is leading,
it is very frightening and one of the reasons why we all gather in this forum in the
first place.  Incidentally I believe that mandatory testing and searches of students
is just plain unconstitutional under the Probable Cause, and search and seizure
provisions.  I also believe that you should have the ability to refuse an alcohol test
when stopped by the police without facing sanctions.  I guess it's alright to demand
someone bleed for you and if you don't why throw your ass in jail.  Same for these
kids, bullshit, 100%.

On Tue, 02 May 2000, "Samantha L." wrote:

> In a message dated 5/2/00 9:37:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > Just when you think something is cut and dry the ol' Supremes are at it
> again.
> >   Let us hope that they affirm the lower courts rulings or decide not to
> act,
> > it seems this is an excellent precedent to regaining our rights from the
> > Police State thugs who think that all must bow to their demands.
> >

>   I just learned recently that the Supremes upheld a public high school's
> right to conduct suspicionless random urinalysis tests on its athletes.
> (Verona v. ?)  I think it was '95 or '96.  The lower court said NO due to the
> 4th ammendment right of citizens to to be free from searches without probable
> cause.
>
>   The Supremes' argument was that an athlete has a lower expectation of
> privacy than a non-athlete because he/she is accustomed to communal showers.
> How's that for an intelligent argument?
>
>   A little town in Texas has recently instituted mandatory urinalysis of all
> students in grades 6-12.  One dad is challenging it and has refused to allow
> his 12 year old son to be tested.  The boy receives the same punishment from
> the school as if he tested positive, and will continue to receive escalating
> punishments for every month he continues to refuse, as if he tested positive
> each time.
>
>   We moved to Louisiana 16 months ago and are now facing fights on three
> fronts.  The high school conducts random daily searches of backpacks and
> persons, random urinalysis of high school athletes, and is poised to
> rubber-stamp a mandatory school uniform policy.
>
>   Parents who stand up for the rights of their children face a hostile school
> board and a citizenry GRATEFUL to lose their rights in order to have "safe
> and drug-free children."   Your basic nightmare.
>
> Samantha

"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, in The Matrix

"My God it's full of stars!"  Dave Bowman, in 2001: A Space
Odyssey

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters