WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a prelude to war!

SOLDIERS FOR THE TRUTH
"DEFENDING AMERICA NEWSLETTER"

"When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen."
General George Washington, New York Legislature, 1775

Soldiers For The Truth Foundation, PO Box 63840, Colorado Springs, CO
80962-3840
HTTP://WWW.SFTT.ORG
TABLE OF CONTENTS

SITREP

Hack's Column:
Article 1 -- Better Luck next Time

"From my Position" -- On the way!"
Article 2 - Slides R US

Big Picture:
Article 3 - What's Your Point, Lieutenant? Just Cut To the Pie Charts
Article 4 -- Female General's Board Ties Questioned

"VOICE OF THE GRUNT"
Article 5 -- A real Leader - Thoughts about Gunfighter Emerson
Article 6 -- "And So We Remember Vietnam (Cong Hoa)"
Article 7 -- Navy Vets Get Back Into Uniform
Article 8 - The Case for the V-22 Osprey
Article 9 -- America, Home of the Fee? - Military / Veterans Health Care
Update
Article 10 - Recommended Readings for Peacekeepers

G.I Humor:
Article 11 -- The Barber Shop

Medal of Honor:
Article 12 -- *WILBANKS, HILLIARD A., Vietnam 1967
SITREP:

1.  Main topics:  1) Vietnam -25 years after the fall of Saigon.  Americans,
by birth positive people, tend to tune it out as a No Winner.  We sometimes
forget that winners can become complacent and arrogant.  Maybe we can learn
from Vietnam if we educate our youth never to forget the lessons and that
implementing the right fixes can make us a better Nation. 2) Slide Battles
3) Health Care Issues 4) Book recommendations.

2.  Things we are looking for:
· Power Point and marathon briefing stories from the front.

3.  Thanks to all of you who have responded to our call to financial arms.
We have so far collected enough money to keep us operational for the next 3
months.  Hack and I estimate that we need about 100k to make us the voice
and organization that will give us the clout we need.  We still have a ways
to go.  Remember, AUSA alone has about a 20 million dollar budget.  If you
believe that we are the organization to speak for the troop on the ground,
support us!

4.  Methods of Support

Check or Money order:  Send to and make payable to:  Soldiers For The Truth
Foundation, PO Box 63840, Colorado Springs, CO 80962-3840.  Credit card
donation option via Website should be available by mid-May. Our site is at
www.sftt.org.

REMINDER:  Your donation is tax deductible!  SFTT is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit
educational foundation, IRS # 31-1592564.

If you send us an E-MAIL address with your donation we can immediately mail
you a RECEIPT!!!!

6.  SFTT Website.  Please check out our updates, i.e. objectives, mission
statement, book reports, etc.  If you didn't get the complete newsletter,
you can find it archived on the website http://www.sftt.org.

Until next week let' s make contact - break through  -- and exploit!

R.W. Zimmermann
President SFTT
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ARTICLE 1 - Defending America
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Better Luck next Time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By David Hackworth
The 25th anniversary of the fall of South Vietnam was like a slow-moving,
thousand-mile-long funeral procession. The media relentlessly barraged us
with worn memories. The tube, magazines and newspapers picked at the scars
of the war until they got down to the bloodless bone.

Rarely was anything substantial covered.

The tempo picked up after the Cuban kid, perhaps the last tragic captive of
the Cold War, was returned to his Commie dad and as we drew closer to the
anniversary of the day the Soviet tanks manned by North Viets wheezed and
rattled their way into Saigon.

For the past couple of weeks the war's been dissected, resected and
intersected. Once again the guilty were nailed to the cross and the flawed
strategies rehashed. The Black Wall was shot from every TV angle, along with
the mourners gathered there -- the amateurs with their cameras and the Old
Guard professionals dressed in their standard, now-very-tired camouflage
gear and beribboned hats.

Strangely, in all this dark deliberation, precious little has been said
about the grunts who fought in Vietnam.  You remember them, the kids who
were sent there to be cannon fodder, so badly trained and with hardly a clue
about the purpose of the conflict. You know, the 18- and 19-year-olds who
toted the Black Stick, the M-16 rifle, the worst infantry weapon ever placed
in an American soldier's hands. A favorite, of course, of the racketeers in
Washington who I'm sure bought Colt Industries low and sold high oh-so
patriotically.

The average Viet vet's age today is 52. Many still carry a hangover from
"The Vietnam Experience." When they got home, their dads from the "Greatest
Generation"-- who'd won The Big War -- called them slackers who didn't fight
hard enough. "Or," the vets of Anzio and Saipan said, "they would have won."

Since most other folks gave our boys the same short shrift, they never were
really allowed to talk about -- to process -- what happened to them.

For the grunts, Vietnam was one of America's toughest infantry fights. In
their fathers' war, few groundpounders clocked up the frontline combat days
like the Vietnam vets. The U.S. Army's 3d Infantry Division, which fought
from Africa to Czechoslovakia, had the record for more combat grunt time
than any other U.S. foot-slogging outfit in World War II. Total line days:
about 350. The average Viet grunt clocked 365 line days, unless he went out
early by litter or body bag.

In their dads' war, there were tidy fronts, reserve time, breathing space
between invasions and the old "Two up and one back" tactic. In Vietnam,
there was no reserve time, no fronts, no rest time, just the endless
pounding over some of the worst terrain our infantry has ever slogged
through. And every unit was fully committed -- there was no "Two up and one
back." The generals had to have their high body counts and their follow-on
promotions.

True, the Germans and Japanese were worthy foes. But the Viet infantry was
as hard core as the Japanese and as professional at war as the Germans. And
the Viets knew how to strike from the shadows. They were everywhere and
nowhere, not easy to ID. The old man who cut the troops' hair was really a
Viet Cong colonel. The pretty girl on the side of the road selling Cokes
spied for the Viet Cong and also set out mines at night.

The mines and booby traps were ever-present. They were wall-to-wall, ranging
from a Coke can wrapped with barbwire and filled with C-4, to a dud
500-pound U.S. bomb rigged with a tripwire. Thirty percent of U.S.
casualties came from these evil devices. Every time a grunt put down a foot,
he didn't know if he'd have a leg or a life when his boot hit the dirt. Try
doing that for 365 days and see what it does to your head.

For sure, there will be another of these funeral dirges in another five
years to mark the 30th anniversary of a war we had no business fighting.
Maybe then the press will honor the unsung heroes of Vietnam and finally
welcome them home. An act that might allow these brave vets to heal at last.
***
Http://www.hackworth.com is the address of David Hackworth's home page. Sign
in for the free weekly Defending America column at his Web site. Send mail
to P.O. Box 5210, Greenwich, CT 06831.
© 2000 David H. Hackworth
Distributed by King Features Syndicate Inc.
ARTICLE 2 - "From my Position" -- On the way!"
~~~~~~~~~
Slides R US
~~~~~~~~~
By R.W. Zimmermann
President SFTT
05/03/00

Slides R US is what the Wall Street Journal describes in its 26 April
article as the disease that is paralyzing the US military.  Again, senior
commanders and think tanks are pointing at the similarities to the political
micromanagement during Vietnam and that of the current White House.

Our man in the big house hasn't done much good for national defense but
making him responsible for the military's PowerPoint briefing paralysis is
nonsense.  US News and World Report and the Wall Street Journal missed a
historical fact - although Bill Gates conceived Power Point, it really
started with Harvard Graphics.

A letter from one of my old Captain pals from the "Europe days" in the mid
80's reminded me that the problem is much older than reported.  My buddy
wrote;  "remember the long nights during "hell week," when we produced over
150 briefing slides for the dreaded quarterly training brief, the "QTB?"
Man, do I ever remember!

"Winning with Harvard Graphics" started with the same guys who claim
responsibility for the "brilliant" Gulf War victory.  In the early eighties,
the "Vuono" QTB became the standard monster brief by which all other
briefing marathons were measured.

The QTB made every commander, from company to division, brief his industrial
training contract to the next higher commander.  In overseas units, even the
cleaning lady from the Post Exchange briefed.  To impress the brass, units
fudged readiness data in a week-long preparation, strongly "guided" by
senior commanders armed with trendy business degrees. The end results were
glitzy plans with little chance for actual execution -- plain wishful
thinking!

With new slide technology, tactical skills had become less important for
career success.  Believing I was a pretty good war-fighter after several
platoon commands, early company command and attending the first rate
Canadian Land Forces Staff College, I reported to the US Army's Combined
Services Staff School (CAS3).  Shock! The highlight of my training there was
not tactics or organizational skills but how to make "Army of Excellence"
slides.

I still recall my staff leader counseling me after I briefed a fine armored
counterattack plan.  The good Colonel just stared at me and said, "
Zimmermann, your plan is irrelevant and your slides suck!  How in the hell
do you think you get a top-block rating from your Senior Rater with such a
mediocre first impression?"

The more slides we produced, the bigger our operational paralysis became.
During the REFORGER 88 exercise in Europe I was part of a Brigade tactical
staff briefing that lasted over 4 hours.  Our mission:  effect link-up with
a German Panzer Brigade and a follow-on combined attack.  While we were
still briefing options to the commander, who couldn't decide on how to do
the link up, the Germans occupied their position in our sector almost
flawlessly and at night.  They had received their orders WWII style over the
radio and with motorcycle messengers -- no slides!

How about the brilliant victory over Iraq's elite forces in Desert Storm as
US News recently described it? Guess what?  Slides R US made it to the
desert and actually could have endangered tactical victory.  Our staffs were
beaten into the ground with endless slide productions and most of the key
staff guys were "babbling idiots" when critical decisions came due after
enemy contact.  Had we faced the I SS Panzer Corps at only 50% strength, we
wouldn't have looked as brilliant.  Thank God for an incompetent enemy and
air supremacy is all I can say.

But the propaganda victory made the brass and the media blind and arrogant
and PowerPoint emerged triumphantly over Harvard Graphics and in color.
Driven by technologically primed princes, the briefing culture had
completely taken charge.

I still shake my head when I think about the many war plans that some of my
great superiors produced on slides with only a shallow map study.  They
accepted the plan because it looked good!

Maybe General Shelton's guidance to stop the briefing craze is a right step
to prevent a future operational disaster.  Our military must refocus on
execution and clear vision.

I recommend testing some of the reforms at the National Training Center
where process and the perfect plan are truly adored.  Teach leaders to build
and communicate simple, flexible plans and to allow them to exploit success
when it appears reasonable to deviate from the plan.

Rediscover the art of listening, note taking and interpreting the ground
from the map.  Everyone in today's military needs slides and XEROX copies
because they don't listen during critical briefings.

If we don't change, Marine General Sheehan's prediction might come true --
that we will be the world's finest staff driven off a hill by a Third World
Nation!

Zimm

© R.W. Zimmermann, LandserUSA
President SFTT
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ARTICLE 3
What's Your Point, Lieutenant? Just Cut To the Pie Charts---The Pentagon
Declares War On Electronic Slide Shows That Make Briefings a Pain
Ed.:  Self-paralysis through high-speed slide making technology.  This
recent Wall Street Journal highlights how the "blind" application of
business techniques and technology can do more damage than good. It will be
an uphill battle to get rid of Power Point because the perfumed princes need
it as a crutch! Read my article on the history of the slide wars.
By Greg Jaffe 04/26/2000
The Wall Street Journal

WASHINGTON -- Earlier this year, Gen. Hugh Shelton, chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff, issued an unusual order to U.S. military bases around the
globe. His message: enough with the bells and whistles -- just get to the
point. It seems that e-mailed military briefings larded with electronic
"slides" of booming tanks and spinning pie charts were gobbling up so much
of the Defense Department's classified bandwidth that they were slowing
more-critical communications between headquarters and units in the field.

"The chairman basically told everyone that we don't need Venetian-blind
effects or fancy backdrops. All we need is the information," says one senior
Defense Department official.

Gen. Shelton's order is only the Pentagon's most recent assault on a growing
electronic menace: the PowerPoint briefing. Sure, business executives
complain about the seemingly endless PowerPoint presentations put on by
overeager middle managers in darkened boardrooms across America. But in the
military, the Microsoft program, which helps users create computer-based
graphics and sound effects, has become one of the most dreaded facts of
life. And it's even shouldering the blame for at least some of the armed
forces' ills.

Congressional support for new weapons programs isn't as strong as expected?
Army Secretary Louis Caldera suggests that PowerPoint presentations are
alienating lawmakers. "People are not listening to us, because they are
spending so much time trying to understand these incredibly complex slides,"
he says.

Too many bright, young junior officers are leaving the military for the
private sector? A recent survey of captains at Fort Benning, Ga., cites the
"ubiquity of the PowerPoint Army" as a prime reason for their disaffection.

"The idea behind most of these briefings is for us to sit through 100 slides
with our eyes glazed over, and then to do what all military organizations
hope for . . . to surrender to an overwhelming mass," says Navy Secretary
Richard Danzig.

Old-fashioned slide briefings, designed to update generals on troop
movements, have been a staple of the military since World War II. But in
only a few short years PowerPoint has altered the landscape. Just as word
processing made it easier to produce long, meandering memos, the spread of
PowerPoint has unleashed a blizzard of jazzy but often incoherent visuals.

Instead of drawing up a dozen slides on a legal pad and running them over to
the graphics department, captains and colonels now can create hundreds of
slides in a few hours without ever leaving their desks. If the spirit moves
them they can build in gunfire sound effects and images that explode like
land mines.

"There is an arms-race dimension to it," says Peter Feaver, a military
expert at Duke University and frequent PowerPoint briefer at various war
colleges. "If there are three briefings in a row, and you are the one with
the lowest production values, you look really lame."

PowerPoint has become such an ingrained part of the defense culture that it
has seeped into the military lexicon. "PowerPoint Ranger" is a derogatory
term for a desk-bound bureaucrat more adept at making slides than tossing
grenades. There is even a "PowerPoint Ranger Creed," a parody of the Marine
Corp's famous "Rifleman's Creed":

"This is my PowerPoint. There are many like it, but mine is [PowerPoint] 97.
I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its fonts, its
accessories and its formats . . . My PowerPoint and myself are the defenders
of my country. We are the masters of our subject. We are the saviors of my
career." The parody is zapping around the Defense Department as a PowerPoint
slide complete with the sound of explosions and featuring an animated John
Wayne in Army Ranger garb wielding a laser pointer.

How did a piece of technology that was supposed to improve communication
become a barrier to it? Some military sociologists say the endless
presentations are a product of the military's zero-defect culture, in which
one mediocre review by a superior can torpedo a career. "Young officers are
worried that they might leave something out of their briefing, and a
supervisor might say something about it. So they pack their presentations
with every detail that they can think off," says Charles Moskos, a
military-culture expert at Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.

Others blame the problem on the absence of a formidable enemy. "We crave
something that explains who we are," says Ret. Army Col. Henry G. Cole. "The
PowerPoint game creates the illusion of control. All those moving arrows and
graphics become reality for a military that is trapped in this permanent
state of shadow-boxing an enemy that no longer exists."

Whatever the cause, a handful of senior Pentagon officials have decided to
attack the PowerPoint problem head-on. The Navy's Mr. Danzig announced late
last year that he was no longer willing to soldier through the slide shows.

He maintains that PowerPoint briefings are only necessary for two reasons:
If field conditions are changing rapidly or if the audience is "functionally
illiterate."

"In the Pentagon the second seems to be the underlying presumption," grouses
Mr. Danzig, who now asks to get all his briefings in written form. Mr.
Danzig's Army counterpart, Mr. Caldera, says he, too, would ban the
presentations if he thought he could get away with it. "For some of these
guys, taking away their PowerPoint would be like cutting off their hands,"
he says. Mr. Caldera's strategy is to interrupt the show with questions when
he gets bored.

Despite such countermeasures, PowerPoint is showing no signs of retreat.
Indeed, it seems to be spreading. James A. Calpin, an officer in the Naval
Reserves, just returned home from duty in Operation Northern Watch in
Turkey, where PowerPoint has just begun to surface in officer presentations.

"I was able to come in and spruce up their briefings, and they were just
wowed. People over there just loved it," he says. Foreign armed services
also are beginning to get in on the act. "You can't speak with the U.S.
military without knowing PowerPoint," says Margaret Hayes, an instructor at
National Defense University in Washington, who teaches Latin American
military officers how to use the software.

Unfortunately, Ms. Hayes admits many foreign officers, including those
fluent in PowerPoint visuals, still struggle to understand their U.S.
counterparts' complicated slide presentations. "We've gotten away from
inviting our colleagues from the Department of Defense to brief our visiting
officers. Some of their presentations are a little bit too complex and too
inhibiting," she says.

All of which makes Duke University's Mr. Feaver wonder if the U.S. military
is misusing the technology. "If we really wanted to accomplish something we
shouldn't be teaching our allies how to use PowerPoint," he says. "We should
give it to the Iraqis. We'd never have to worry about them again."
ARTICLE 4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Female General's Board Ties Questioned
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ed.:  To no surprise, it looks like Princess Claudia prepared her transition
to leave the Army by dabbling in three profit businesses and establishing
connections to the Democratic fundraising machine.  It is sad to hear that
our so-called legal experts and many retired senior officers don't see
anything wrong with this scheming while in uniform. It seems profit and
greed wins over service and honor.  Help us that we don't see the lady in a
future political position.  Article appeared in the Washington Post on 26
April.
By Thomas E. Ricks, Washington Post Staff Writer

Lt. Gen. Claudia J. Kennedy, the highest-ranking woman in the Army, served
on the boards of three Florida companies started by Democratic fundraiser
Terence McAuliffe, a close friend of President Clinton, a Washington-based
watchdog group said yesterday.

The Center for Public Integrity said Kennedy sat on the boards of two
holding companies and one insurance company that were started in 1997 and
dissolved last year without making any profits.

The center said Kennedy's service on the boards might violate Defense
Department ethics rules. But the Army emphatically rejected that view,
saying she had obeyed all regulations both in seeking prior approval from
Army lawyers and then in properly disclosing her role. She never received
any compensation and, in fact, never attended a board meeting, the Army's
statement noted. Kennedy through a spokesman declined to comment.

McAuliffe confirmed the Army's account. Until about six months ago, he said,
Kennedy was dating his father-in-law, Richard Swann, who recommended her to
him. "She'd be an outstanding asset to any board," McAuliffe added. In any
event, the disclosure that Kennedy had business dealings with McAuliffe is
likely to further inflame opinion about her within the military.

Kennedy has been prominent since 1997, when she was named the Army's chief
of intelligence, making her one of just three women ever to achieve
three-star rank in the U.S. armed forces.

She has been in the headlines lately because of the disclosure that last
fall she charged another Army general with sexually harassing her in 1996.
The Army inspector general is investigating that charge, and Pentagon
officials say they expect the matter to be resolved within two or three
weeks.

The Center for Public Integrity said in its report that it began examining
McAuliffe's business dealings and Kennedy's board positions before the
sexual harassment charges were disclosed last month by the Washington Times.

Experts on military ethics gave mixed opinions yesterday on whether a senior
officer should be involved in private businesses operated by the president's
chief fundraiser. Most said they had no problem with it, but some said it
gave them pause.

"I think it's fine," said Sheila Cheston, a former general counsel of the
Air Force, when asked about Kennedy being a director of a for-profit
corporation. As for being involved in the business ventures of a
presidential fundraiser, Cheston said, "That doesn't make it wrong."

Similarly, retired Rear Adm. John Jenkins, a former judge advocate general
of the Navy, said he saw no legal or ethical problem with Kennedy's unpaid
service on a corporate board. But Jenkins, who teaches legal ethics at
George Washington University law school, was more cautious on the question
of whether an active-duty member of the military, which generally shuns
political activity, should have business ties to someone deeply involved in
partisan politics.

"I don't think it's a violation of any kind of regulation. Would I do it?
Probably not," he said.

McAuliffe, who has aggressively raised campaign funds for Clinton and other
Democrats, last fall helped the Clintons buy a house in suburban New York by
guaranteeing a loan they received through Bankers Trust. When that
arrangement proved controversial, the Clintons obtained another loan that
didn't require a guarantee.

Military historian Carlo D'Este, the author of several books about the Army,
said he found Kennedy's actions "a bit odd." He added: "I'm surprised
someone didn't whisper to her, 'You don't want to do this.' " Retired Lt.
Gen. Richard Trefry, a former Army inspector general, said that in his
experience, "active-duty officers have shied away from business
connections."

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL