5/10/00
The richest, most overpaid layer of corporate fat thinks everyone
else is making too much money in this cycle of boom.

I don't see any of these clowns taking a voluntary pay cut. Do you?

If enriching the people who create the wealth and do the REAL work
is detrimental to the system, then why do we tolerate this system?

Joshua2

===========================
CEOs on workers wages xxx
CEOs warn on wages
U.S. corporate leaders say booming economy adds wage pressure
May 11, 2000: 7:21 a.m. ET
http://cnnfn.com/2000/05/11/economy/wires/ceos_wg/

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. (Reuters) - Executives from large U.S. corporations
say
a note of caution about the booming U.S. economy was emerging due to concern
that a
continued scarcity of workers in a tight labor market would create wage
pressures.
The Business Council, a group of more than 300 executives, said business
conditions
were now either stronger or little changed from six months ago. But like many
economists in the private sector, they forecast a slowdown later this year.
Some of the business leaders saw inflation picking up, but most said their
companies
had little pricing power.
Citigroup Inc.  (C: Research, Estimates) Chairman Sanford Weill, who serves as
the
vice chairman of the council, said Wednesday that 67 percent of its members felt
that
they did not have much pricing power and 73 percent did not see the situation
improving.
Although the group's members may not be seeing as much pricing pressure as U.S.
firms
overall, there were a lot of examples where costs were rising as the
longest-running
U.S. expansion continues and it remains difficult to hire people in many areas
of the
industry, Weill said. He noted construction costs as one of those examples.
Labor market conditions either remained tight or tightened further from last
year and
few members expected conditions to improve, almost all of the council members
said.
 [IMAGE] "I see maybe a little bit more caution, not less optimism. That's not a
contradiction in that nobody here would have expected the economy to be this
good
(for this long)," said William Esrey, chairman and chief executive of Sprint
Corp.
(FON: Research, Estimates) in a press conference. "So you begin to see a couple
cracks and we're not sure where the first coat of paint makes it go away or if
there
is something deeper that is going to continue to develop. We are aware of a bit
more
caution and a redoubling of efforts (from last year)."
The caution was a result of the duration of the U.S. economic expansion and
signs of
increasing wage pressures and other costs beginning to peek through, Esrey
added.
At a meeting in the West Virginia mountains, the group said they were raising
salaries and offering stock options and other perks to compete for workers. They
were
also investing in labor-saving technology.
The forecasts come as the United States enjoys its longest-running economic
boom. To
ward off inflation in times of robust growth, the Federal Reserve has raised
interest
rates five times since June and is widely expected to lift rates by half a
percentage
point when it meets on May 16.
The U.S. inflation rate likely will remain in a 2.0-3.9 percent range
longer-term.
One-third of the council members believed inflation would hover at the high side
of
this range.
Federal Reserve Chairman Alan "Greenspan has taken the position of as 'steady as
it
goes' with 25 basis point rate hikes. I think they are going to begin to have
some
effect. We are already beginning to see (the economy) cooling off," Weill said.
"With
the economy growing at such a rapid rate and coming close to full employment it
is
appropriate for the Fed to put the brakes on. If it lets it alone and (the
economy)
runs away, it will be a larger problem in correcting."
Executives were cautious about prospects for global growth, but said Europe and
Asia,
except for Japan, held the best growth opportunities for their companies.
Eastman Kodak Co.'s (EK: Research, Estimates) George Fisher said revenue growth
outside of the United States was coming back good for them, noting that China
was
very robust. Michael Dell, head of Dell Computer (DELL: Research, Estimates),
also
said Asia was particularly strong for his company, with China growing 100
percent.
The executives all made a strong call for the government to grant China normal
trade
status.
The outlook for Brazil, which has recovered from its currency devaluation, is
"very,
very good," Weill said, adding that Argentina and Mexico were also doing
well.
He also said Asia was doing very well, with changes in Japan -- once they are
implemented -- creating a more welcome atmosphere for foreign capital. Citigroup
is
increasing its penetration of businesses in emerging markets substantially,
Weill
added.
DuPont Co.  (DD: Research, Estimates) Chairman and Chief Executive Charles
Holliday
Jr. said companies may have to go to different areas for new opportunities as
cautious signs emerge in the U.S. economy.
The cost of debt and equity financing is expected to be higher in the second
half of
the year compared to the first half, a large majority of the executives said.
Higher oil prices are having little effect on their businesses. However, a large
minority believes Washington should pressure OPEC to bring prices down to a
$20-23
barrel range.
Electronic commerce will help companies improve revenue, raise productivity and
cut
costs within the next five years, most council members said. A small majority of
members expects e-commerce to have a slightly negative effect on their own
firms'
pricing power.
Technology advances have increased productivity, said members of the council's
executive committee, noting that many of their companies have achieved levels of
productivity they never would have expected 10 years ago as a result of the
advances.
Johnson & Johnson  (JNJ: Research, Estimates) Chairman and Chief Executive Ralph
Larsen said that the company has tripled its growth and increased its work force
by
only 15 percent, thanks to technology.
"We have no price flexibility and our prices are falling. Our savior is
productivity," Esrey said.
CSX Corp.  (CSX: Research, Estimates) Chairman and Chief Executive John Snow
added
there is no reason to expect productivity to slow.
"We are only beginning to see the power of these technologies," he said. "We are
of
the view that we are at the beginning of the explosion of the efficient use of
technology to cut costs and increase productivity."

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL