In a message dated 5/12/00 11:04:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Northerners
>  were seeking a moral pretext for an
>  aggressive war, while Southern leaders
>  were seeking a threat more concrete
>  than the Northern tariff to justify a
>  drive to political independence.

  Thank you for this post.  Having never looked into alternative views of the
Civil War myself, I did always wonder why - if slavery had been the defining
issue - that other means weren't taken to emancipate the slaves besides the
bloody, horrid war.

  I have always been struck by how difficult the transition for African
Americans must have been.  A policy of stages might have helped them transit
from dependence to indepence without risking loss of shelter and food.  The
North wasn't the warm, welcoming emancipator, either.

  The South relied on slavery for its labor force and also needed stages to
allow for its economy's survival.  None of this excuses the disgusting
practice of buying and selling human beings as so much cattle: separating
familes and breaking hearts and spirits.  Stages of emancipation requiring
recompense to the African Americans from the Southern government and/or the
former owners for the years of hideous policy might have gone a long way
toward building better will among the races.

  Is, then, the new trend of privatizing prisons, creating and enforcing
stricter drug laws improperly discriminating against African Americans, our
newest form of slavery?

  Our country will end up with a cheap prison labor force disproportionally
made up of African Americans.  We will be providing them with shelter and
food in horrid conditions and extorting their labor - much like 130 years
ago.  This trend is not exclusive to the South.

  My best guess is that this new form of slavery is due to the eugenics
psychosis so insidious in our culture since embracing many levels of Nazism
since WWII.  It's as if the motivation for enslaving African Americans is
different now, but the results are the same.  Whites will "own" blacks and
extort their labor.

Samantha

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL