"We are concerned about our future. We are concerned about our human life."
-- Global Peace Walk 2000 http://www.globalpeacenow.org

Today again I spoke to Reverend Yamato on the phone from New Mexico
about the Global Peace Walk plans concerning what he feels is a Global
Emergency Situation resulting from the fire that has ravaged the Los Alamos
area including outlying areas of the Nuclear Weapons Lab reportedly
aerosolizing in the smoke decades of radioactive contamination from areas
surrounding the Lab, smoke now settling as potentially very dangerous ash
over several States so far and moving eastward. (details/evidence on this
point below)

Yamato has asked me to sound a Global Emergency Alert on this matter to
call
on supporters everywhere to take media publicity actions to get the facts
known to ameliorate potential present dangers, to prevent any future
such dangerous nuclear radioactivity threat situations, and to focus the
current national and global public attention on this tragedy towards
increasing public support and activism for the global abolition of
nuclear weapons.

Please forward this post to your lists.

Tomorrow, Sunday, May 14th, Mother's Day (originally called Mothers Day for
Peace) Reverend Yamato (zen buddhist monk and initiator of the Global Peace
Walk project) will be conducting a global peace prayer and healing ceremony
at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Hall in Angelfire near Eagle's Nest, New
Mexico, caravaning there from Kit Carson Park in Taos, New Mexico, after
gathering at 9AM.

In the afternoon, the Global Peace Walkers and support kitchen bus and
shuttle vehicles will be going to the Los Alamos area, in spite of reported
dangers mentioned above and evidenced below, to offer their help in any way
possible to the community ravaged by fire and, if needed, in firefighting
efforts.  Please keep them in your prayers.  Depending on how long their
help may be of value there, the walk's next schedule of May 29th ceremony
at
the Oklahoma City National (bombing victims') Memorial may be postponed.

This Mother's Day ceremony is in solidarity with the prayer gathering being
held this weekend near the Nevada Nuclear Test Site in support of Western
Shoshone Spiritual Leader Corbin Harney and efforts to abolish nuclear
power, testing and weapons globally, stop uranium mining and waste
contaminations especially such as the proposed Yucca Mountain, NV,
nuclear waste repository http://www.shundahai.org

Yamato specifically asked for all those dedicated to the cause of Nuclear
Abolition 2000 to write letters with their messages about the dangers of
nuclear weapons and their production's contamination of the land, and send
these letters of support to their local media and to the Global Peace Walk
to distribute to New Mexico and the national/international media on site in
Los Alamos to address the need for Abolition 2000.

Closing the weapons lab after this fire would be another idea.

Such letters/messages may be emailed (asap) to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> for forwarding to the walk, and/or signed
copies (on letterhead if available) faxed to 561-658-2735.

He feels strongly that this situation at Los Alamos Nuclear Weapons Lab now
has the national and international media attention which should be utilized
quickly by the Abolition 2000 network to inspire public support for ending
the danger of nuclear weapons.  He feels that it is not just a
"coincidence"
that the Global Peace Walk is now in a position to help facilitate this by
being on site in Los Alamos starting tomorrow afternoon for, if necessary,
an extended period of time.  If you have not already, you may join the
Abolition 2000 Global Network to Eliminate Nuclear Weapons (in response to
whose call for such cross-country peace walk this year Reverend Yamato is
conducting Global Peace Walk 2000) at http://www.abolition2000.org

An easy way to email your letters to your local or Statewide media all in
one email send, is via the Media Guide at http://congress.nw.dc.us/wnd
(also
same for government leaders indexed at that site by your zip code)

Excerpts of recent emails received discussing the radioactivity danger in
the smoke from the Los Alamos fire (don't expect to see this in your media
unless they are pressured by you since from history we know that the US and
DOE will try to keep this kind of information from the public as long as
possible to "avoid panic" -- and outrage)

Remember, one microgram of plutonium can be lethal if inhaled.

I leave it to your best judgement and hope the fears are overblown but
"better to be safe than sorry", etc.

One thing I do feel fairly sure about from past history of US/DOE on
reporting nuclear accidents/dangers, if there is a radioactivity danger in
the smoke it will be kept as secret as possible on orders from on high to
prevent public panic and outrage.  Details will only filter gently into the
media over many years in the future.  If you feel the info below is worth
investigating, I suggest we need to get media folks to look into it and
what
can be done to ameliorate potential problems (eg, wearing dust filters when
in the smoke to prevent breathing ash, treat ash as hazardous waste just in
case, etc.)

-----------------begin forwarded related posts/evidence------