This may all be well and good, since I don't deny that Bush is easily bought and will
peddle his influence where it can get him some money.  BUT, this "outcry" over
Ephedrine is another example of the FDA's lack of objectivity and science and why they
should not be in charge of what we put in our bodies.  I am not aware of any adverse
event report that can be conclusively proven to have arisen from Ephedrine use.  In
any case Ephedrine no good, for a comparitive handful of adverse reactions, BUT
Phen-Fen OKAY at least 'til it killed people, not to mention other drugs just as bad
or worse.

On Sun, 14 May 2000, William Shannon wrote:

> [...]
> $40,000 to Bush's re-election drive about the time of a key industry meeting
> with Archer.
>
> To press its case, the herbal industry turned to Bush allies, TIME reports.
> Metabolife International -- which makes Metabolife 356, the best-selling
> herbal diet product in America -- hired a San Antonio law firm headed by some
> of Bush's closest political associates including Jeff Wentworth, a powerful
> state senator. Wentworth arranged a July 2, 1998 meeting between Metabolife
> president Michael Ellis and Archer. Ellis says he called for a "dialogue"
> with his industry in place of the tough regulatory stand--a position quietly
> being urged on Archer by the governor's office, report two sources involved
> in the issue. Just days after Ellis' plea, Archer brought in an outside
> lawyer to help him and the state's board of health to negotiate a settlement
> with ephedrine producers.
>
> Bush's healthcare adviser, Ron Lindsey, tells TIME he does not recall
> pressing Archer to abandon his initial tough-on-ephedrine proposal --
> although Lindsey allows that he strongly supported Archer's move to negotiate
> with ephedrine producers. Lindsey's 1998 calendar (a copy of which was
> obtained by TIME) shows that starting in May, he met with industry officials
> -- including Ralph Oats, the owner of Wellness International Network, who,
> along with his wife, contributed almost $90,000 to the G.O.P. and national
> candidates in the mid-1990s. Lindsey says another Metabolife lawyer, James
> Jonas III, paid him a visit apparently to "get leverage" on the issue. But
> while Bush and his chief of staff, Joe Allbaugh, were kept informed, Lindsey
> insists, "there was no pressure from the top" [other than to] "just work this
> thing out if you can."
>
> According to copies of Bush's calendar, he met with Archer in mid-July and
> mid-September--key junctures in the ephedrine negotiations. He twice saw
> Wentworth at political events during this period. But a spokesman in the
> Governor's office said Bush did not get involved in Archer's deliberations
> and had no discussions with Metabolife's lawyers about ephedrine
>
> <A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A>
> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
> ==========
> CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic
> screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are
> sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
> misdirections
> and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
> minor
> effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
> CTRL
> gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers;
> be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and

"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, in The Matrix

"My God it's full of stars!"  Dave Bowman, in 2001: A Space
Odyssey

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go