-------- Forwarded message --------
 From: Chuck West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Date: Fri, 19 May 2000
 Subj: [radiokaos] Doug...

 I was just sitting here at 4:00AM looking through my deleted e-mail.
 Hundreds of messages originating from China. MOST OF WHICH USING
 VISUAL BASIC CODE designed to manipulate Outlook/Microsoft systems.
 This is a blatent attack on U.S. computer users that are stupid
 enough to use that crap-ware. As you know, I have been hammered with
 virus attacks for a couple of years because of the Radio-KAOS page.
 This activity peaked (skyrocketed) at the time of the WTO issue.
 You might recall a period where I had to reinstall almost daily!
 For a while I used a disk image I stored on another drive and PINE
 (text-based) for my e-mail. That helped a lot and I got back to my
 usual Windows nightmares.

 Since the (apparent) demise of Radio-KAOS, all of our computers here
 run DOS or Linux except one Windows failure-demo. Since I switched
 my Internet machine to Linux, IT HAS NOT FAILED ONCE!  I have been
 very busy since you last heard from me setting up MUCH more secure
 communications. By more secure I don't mean secret, I mean it stays
 up and running and can't be defeated by a Bejing 8th-grader. My ISP,
 olywa.net, uses an NT server and was just bought out. I hope they
 quit using MS Information Server and get a REAL web server. If not
 there will always be:

 kc7spz.ampr.org

 That machine is right behind me and does NOT use Windows stool-ware.
 So far, it is only on the packet-radio net but you can send mail to:

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     -or-

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Linux has a HUGE learning curve, so I wouldn't just dive in. You
 must RTFM like you never have before. I got a cool, boxed set of
 software and manuals at the local book store for $30. That made it a
 lot easier. Tightening up my MS software helped in the meantime. The
 first thing I did was get rid of that "virus-ready" Outlook-Express.
 Then I started using the Netscape 3.0 mail with some modifications.
 Then a simple Win mail client (Acorn). Then just Telnet. It was
 clunky but worked most of the time but my DOS machine can do it
 better. OK, axe the Windows! Well, I HAD to have a good browser,
 among other things,  so in came Linux and X-Windows. Ahhh....
 It's tricky though! Gotta use your brain (ouch).

 *Bottom-Line*

 Kidding aside, we (the internet activists) have become a thorn in
 the side of a certain element.  I assure you that I won't be taken
 out of communications with like minds.  I  have a combination of
 being a patriotic, a PC-network administrator for 20 years, and a
 HAM radio operator.  With the parts left over from my repair shop
 and my noodle I doubt I will be made unable to talk with the world
 and my friends won't either.  During this e-mail composition,
 3 Chinese messages came in.  Any one of which could have taken out
 Outlook.  Any HTML message can thrash your computer without even
 opening the attachments!  It is hard to save the world when you are
 constantly futzing with your computer.

 -Chuck
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 ~PASS IT ON~

 http://www.olywa.net/angels/kaos.html

 http://www.onelist.com/community/radiokaos

.

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL