-------- Forwarded messages --------
 From: Steve Emerson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To:   "metals" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: Sun, 14 May 2000
 Subj: [metals] Re: Alcoholism/Mercury?

 TITLE: MERCURY, THE ROOT OF DEPRESSION, ANGER, ANXIETY AND VIOLENCE

 SOURCES:  Psychological Reports, 1994, 74,67-80, Psychometric
 Evidence That Mercury From Silver Dental Fillings May Be An FBI
 Factor In Depression, Excessive Anger, Anxiety,  by Robert L.
 Siblerud, John Motl, Eldon Kienholz ... and Chicago Tribune,
 Probing the Violent Mind, Experts Monitor Chemical in Wake of
 U.S. Crime Wave,  by Ronald Kotulak ... and Mental Illness Hits
 Half of Americans,  by Brenda C. Coleman, Associated Press.

                       SEROTONIN

   Risks at Low Levels           Risks At High Levels

     Depression                    Shyness
     Suicide                       Obsessive compulsion
     Impulsive aggression          Fearfulness
     Alcoholism                    Lack of self confidence
     Sexual deviance               Unduly dampened aggression
     Explosive rage

 ABSTRACT

 In a startling recent breakthrough, researchers at the Rocky
 Mountain Research Institute, led by Robert L. Siblerud, made the
 most profound discovery that amalgam mercury effects the
 neurotransmitters' uptake of dopamine, serotonin, acetylcholine,
 and norepinephrine and provides a biochemical basis for why people
 who have amalgam dental fillings experience significantly higher
 levels of depression, excessive anger, and anxiety than controls
 without amalgams.

 Underlying the scientific quest, which has revealed links to
 abnormal brain chemistry, is the growing suspicion that dentistry
 unwittingly may be feeding the nation's growing epidemic of
 depression, anger, anxiety, violence, alcoholism, the need to smoke
 and other impulse disorders.

 Serotonin is the brain's master impulse modulator for all of our
 emotions and drives.  It especially keeps aggression in line.

 When serotonin levels fall, violence rises, like some long-subdued
 monster breaking free of its bonds.

 Paralleling the Rocky Mountain study, several other studies have
 shown that when serotonin levels decline impulsive aggression is
 unleashed.

 Normal aggression has a set point, like body temperature, which is
 regulated by brain chemicals.

 Most people are born with a balance of these chemicals that enables
 them to react to events in reasonable ways.  But changing that set
 point can increase or lower depression, anger, anxiety or violence.
 Researchers are learning how this set point can be altered and they
 have found that the mechanism for change, and imbalance of
 neurotransmitters, is shared by humans and animals and can be
 successfully manipulated to increase or decrease violent behavior.

 While low serotonin levels increase impulsiveness, normal levels
 are associated with clear thinking and social success.  One reason
 we may mellow with age is that serotonin levels increase.

 A low serotonin level also can dry up the wellsprings of life's
 happiness, withering a person's interest in his existence and
 increasing the risk of depression and suicide.

 A growing body of evidence indicates that low levels of serotonin
 are implicated in a lack of control, the kind of behavior that
 typically manifests itself as irritability, loss of temper and
 explosive rage.  It is the type of impulsive aggression that is
 escalating at an unprecedented pace in the U.S.

 According to the FBI, while the U.S. population increased by 40%
 from 1960 through 1991, violent crime increased 560%, murders
 increased 170%, rapes 520% and aggravated assaults 600%.  But the
 dramatic statistics tell nothing of what is going on inside the
 brain.

 Almost half of Americans experience mental illness at some time in
 their lives, and almost one-third are afflicted in any one year,
 according to a University of Michigan study, published in January's
 issue of the Archives of General psychiatry.

 In addition, alcoholism, sleeplessness, sexual deviance,
 firesetting, obesity and other impulse-control disorders also have
 been laid at the doorstep of low serotonin.

 Alcohol initially raises serotonin levels so that a person feels
 more mellow for a brief time, however, continued drinking
 precipitates a drop in serotonin.  Several Swedish studies also
 suggest that exposure to mercury from amalgams may be linked to
 alcoholism, which may explain why some people have reported a
 lessening desire to drink following amalgam removal.

 A previous study at the Rocky Mountain Institute associated dental
 amalgams and smoking.  Nicotine increases the levels of dopamine,
 serotonin, acetylcholine, epinephrine and norepinephrine which have
 highly desirable effects on the brain.  Since mercury reduces the
 function of neurotransmitters, people will smoke more to relieve
 their anxious feelings.

 In all these recent studies, the lowering of serotonin, a potent
 brain chemical, is the key factor that may trigger depression,
 anger anxiety, aggression, violence, alcoholism, a need to smoke,
 insomnia, obesity and other impulse disorders.

 Mercury from amalgam dental fillings has the capacity to reduce the
 function of serotonin and other neurotransmitters and may possibly
 be the root cause behind the dramatic statistics quoted by the FBI
 on violent criminal behavior and the University of Michigan on
 mental illness.

 Until now, scientists have been stymied.  The possible answer may
 lie in the biochemical changes triggered by exposure to mercury
 from silver amalgam dental fillings.

 ~~~~~~~