Mr. Heston I concur!

Saturday May 20 10:55 PM ET
NRA's Heston Lashes Out at Gore

AP Photo

By PAUL NOWELL, Associated Press Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Charlton Heston told more than 5,000 National Rifle
Association members Saturday that he wants to serve an unprecedented third
term as their president to complete a mission: ensuring Al Gore (news - web
sites)'s defeat in November.

``George Washington hung around until the Revolutionary War was won,'' he
said. ``Roosevelt hung around until the world war was won. Reagan hung around
until the Cold War was won. If you want, I'll hang around until we win this
one, too.''

Heston said the nation's gun owners are at grave risk of losing their Second
Amendment right to bear arms if Gore wins the presidency.

He and other speakers accused the Clinton administration of plotting to
confiscate guns from law-abiding citizens, then ban them, beginning with
licensing and registration.

``If Gore is elected, the Second Amendment will face 16 cumulative years of
Clinton-Gore attacks,'' said Kayne Robinson, the NRA's first vice president.
``It cannot survive.''

 Speak your mind
Discuss this story with other people.
[Start a Conversation]
(Requires Yahoo! Messenger)

Heston said the NRA has done everything he has asked during his two terms as
president, including increasing its fund raising and membership. ``That
leaves me with one mission undone - winning in November,'' he said.

His offer was greeted with a rousing ovation. He is expected to be re-elected
Monday.

As Heston concluded his speech, he was handed a vintage musket, then gave an
encore of his performance at his first NRA convention in 1990 in St. Louis,
when he intoned the Second Amendment.

``So as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take
our freedom away, I want to say those words again for everyone within the
sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore.''

Lifting the musket over his head, Heston grumbled: ``From my cold dead
hands!''

Before Heston's speech, gun advocates marched through the streets of downtown
Charlotte to show solidarity.

About 400 marchers, many in T-shirts reading ``Guns Save Lives,'' followed a
bagpiper about six blocks to the center where the NRA convention is being
held.

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL