WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

SOLDIERS FOR THE TRUTH
"DEFENDING AMERICA NEWSLETTER"

"When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen."
General George Washington, New York Legislature, 1775

Soldiers For The Truth Foundation, PO Box 63840, Colorado Springs, CO
80962-3840
HTTP://WWW.SFTT.ORG
TABLE OF CONTENTS

SITREP

Hack's Column:
Article 1 -- "Lest We Forget"

"From my Position" -- On the way!"
Article 2 - Readiness Truth - Victim of the Experts

Big Picture:
Article 3 - Memorial Day - Honoring those that have fallen
Article 4 -- Kosovo SITREP - A Rough Week for Battalion XX

"VOICE OF THE GRUNT"
Article 5 -- Lessons in Leadership
Article 6 - No Gun Ri response - No Gun Ri
Article 7 - No Gun Ri response -- Real Combat is not like the Movies
Article 8 - It's raining Medals once again
Article 9 -- Why are the Ones in Power so forgetful

G.I Humor:
Article 10 -- Learning the Language

Medal of Honor:
Article 11 -- LEE, HUBERT L. Korea 1951
SITREP:

1.  Main topics:  1) Memorial Day 2) Too many Military Experts with clue 3)
Leadership 4) Kosovo

2.  WE ALWAYS NEED YOUR HELP! Thanks to all of you who have responded to our
call to financial arms.  We have collected enough money to keep us
operational for the next 4 months.  Hack and I estimate that we need about
100k to make us an organization with clout.  We could EASILY reach that goal
if every subscriber pitches in $ 30.00.  Remember, AUSA alone has about a 20
million dollar budget and still doesn't get anything done!  If you believe
that we are the organization to speak for the troops, support us!

3.  Methods of Support

Check or Money order:  Send to and make payable to:  Soldiers For The Truth
Foundation, PO Box 63840, Colorado Springs, CO 80962-3840.  Credit card
donation option via Website should be available by mid-May. Our site is at
www.sftt.org.

REMINDERS:

Your donation is tax deductible!  SFTT is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit educational
foundation, IRS # 31-1592564.

If you send us an E-MAIL address with your donation we can immediately mail
you a RECEIPT!!!!

Some of you have sent multiple contributions.  Please remind us when you
submit your donation, so we can send you an annual statement for tax
purposes.

4.  SFTT Website.  Please check out our updates, i.e. objectives, mission
statement, book reports, etc.  If you didn't get the complete newsletter or
only the Short Version (sv), you can find it archived on the website
http://www.sftt.org.

Until next week let' s make contact - break through  -- and exploit!

R.W. Zimmermann
President SFTT
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ARTICLE 1 - Defending America
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Lest We Forget"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By David Hackworth

Another Memorial Day is upon us. Not that it's that big a deal to most
Americans, who don't seem to understand what this holiday is all about. But
for combat veterans and their families it's a day of reflection, a time to
honor fallen comrades.

As the years pass, M-Day's taken on an even more special meaning for me. Old
pals who back in their young and foolish days were brave mud soldiers are
checking out faster than I want to count.

Almost every week now I get the word that another brother's gone. Sometimes
it's a phone call in the middle of the night, a letter or an obituary piece
I've been sent about a friend I fought alongside.

Each death notice brings pain. Some bring tears. All bring reflection that
dials up the face of a brother I grew to love a long time ago. A love born
from terrible strife where we had the searing privilege of getting to know
each other as few men ever do.

Back then, we thought we were damned to be the chosen few. But now, so many
years later, we know the truth: It was the defining and most challenging
period of our lives.

Together, we saw the elephant.

On the battlefield there's no faking it. A guy is either a good man who'd
die before letting his brothers down or a dud the outfit figures out how to
unload. You get to join The Brotherhood only if you're trusted, only because
you've earned the respect of the other elephant hunters.

For me, after the shock wears off from hearing the bad news, reason sets in:
"Eventually everyone's going out feet first. My old friend just beat me by a
few ticks."

Next, the process seems to move quickly to the good times shared and why my
pal was so special and why his memory won't disappear until I do.

Then I'm ringing a brother, giving him word of the death, and we start in
with the old "Remember when ..." jazz, retelling all the fun stuff about our
fallen mate. We never dwell on the horror or go to the dark side of the
moon. Maybe that's how we keep it together and move on.

Another thought that always comes front and center in my head is why did
Frank or Billy or Phil die now and not me? This was the question we all
silently asked ourselves back on the battlefield when a comrade didn't get
up after a fight. It didn't seem fair then, and it doesn't now. But whoever
said this crap game called life was fair?

The loved ones of World War II and the Korean vets are hearing "Taps" played
at funerals at the rate of almost 2,000 a day, and now the Vietnam vets are
stepping up for their turn at the death plate. The combat-vet dying business
has become a boom industry and will continue to roar for the next couple of
decades until the ranks are exhausted.

And by then, M-Day might have morphed further into a meaningless
extended-weekend party no longer even momentarily interrupted by glimpses of
flags or sound bites from politicians jawing some insincere patriotic
gobbledygook. Only the still-serving and families and friends of the
departed will still care about what our warriors went through, the
sacrifices they made.

Seems like we're almost there now. Liberty and the good life are so taken
for granted that few folks can be bothered to spend M-Day remembering --
honoring those who died so we could be free to do our thing. No one's had to
buy a freedom ticket for a long time, and the living's easy. Minimum wage,
Social Security, a college degree -- all that good American stuff -- are
there pretty much for the asking. No price of admission paid. No respect for
those who did pay. Just gimme gimme gimme.

I'm afraid one of these days soon some fast operator will come along and try
to change Memorial Day into something else. You know, a name change due to a
new sponsor.

Hope you'll kill that ignoble idea quick smart and that you'll visit a
Veterans Home this week and tell those valiant men and women you haven't
forgotten their sacrifices.
***
The End

Http://www.hackworth.com is the address of David Hackworth's home page. Sign
in for the free weekly Defending America column at his Web site. Send mail
to P.O. Box 5210, Greenwich, CT 06831.
© 2000 David H. Hackworth
Distributed by King Features Syndicate Inc.
ARTICLE 2 - "From my Position" -- On the way!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Readiness Truth - Victim of the Experts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By R. W. Zimmermann
President SFTT
05/22/00

Our intellectual elite and the military experts without experience are on a
crusade to convince you that all is well with national defense.

In a recent piece in the Washington Times, Michael O' Hanlon, a fellow at
the Brookings Institution, acclaimed author and adjunct professor at
Columbia University, attempts to convince us that under Mr. Clinton, our
fighting forces have not declined.

Au contraire, with stats directly from the Pentagon's Dreamworks studios, he
tells us that our fighting forces are in terrific shape.  The proof:
spectacular victories in the Balkans, the successful "never-ending" war with
Iraq, Somalia, Korea, Taiwan and other ongoing deterrent missions.

Joseph Goebbels, propaganda spin-Meister under Adolph the Terrible, couldn't
have done any better than that!

Lets look at some of O' Hanlon's frightening conclusions:

The US is still capable of fighting a two-front war strategy, (most likely)
against Iraq and North Korea, while maintaining sufficient forces for all
other nuisance missions.

Whoa!!! O'Hanlon has probably never talked to any brigade commanders.
Brigades are the building blocks for our combat divisions. He would have
learned that of the three brigades in each division, maybe ONE is fully
mission capable and that two of them are normally robbed for personnel and
equipment to enable the "Ready Brigade" for deployment.  It isn't much
different for the Navy to keep ships in critical operational areas.

As another reason, he claims that our weapons and equipment are much better
today.  Maybe true but are the humans that are handling and maintaining the
stuff?

Next, he states that our units are expertly trained and that our equipment
maintenance readiness is between 70-80% for critical combat equipment, such
as tanks, planes, choppers etc.  That's only slightly down from the 90% in
recent years and in the Reagan era.

The man seems to have "zero" clue of the corruption in our readiness
reporting.  When a unit reported 90% readiness in recent years, the true
number was about 75%.  Why?  Because the efficiency report of a successful
battalion commander depended on the 90% pass figure.  No Division commander
would have accepted less. If today, we proudly report 70-80%, the real
readiness number is likely in the 50% range, cause for very great readiness
concern!

O'Hanlon also claims that we are recovering well from the recruiting crisis
and he cites our recent successes with pay raises and improved AD CAMPAIGNS.
He claims our forces today are better educated and qualified than ever
before.

That pegs the BS-meter at max output!  Do you really believe that spending
more money on fancy commercials will improve recruiting quality?

My experience in the last three years was that to keep up the numbers (and
recruiting careers), we were scraping the bottom of society's barrel.  We
were trying to buffer our shortfalls with more and more minority groups.

Pretty soon, if we can't make our forces attractive to our middle and upper
middle class white male citizens, we will have created a force that is so
diverse and "standards-deprived" that we won't be able to preserve the
essential ingredients that make cohesive fighting organizations - common
national values, language and history.

And by the way, test standards have dropped over the years so that lower
category recruits won't show as total morons but in the "availability"
range. In many cases, today's High School Diplomas don't mean as much as the
ones from ten years ago, and I recall a few Lieutenants from questionable
colleges who couldn't write a simple field order or successfully lead a
bunch of ants to a picnic.

Then O'Hanlon talks about the distinguished performance of our troops in
Somalia.  Accepted, our troops on the ground fought well, but they were
"sold out" by their senior political and military leaders.  Once more, the
analyst forgets the human factor.  Bad leaders implement bad processes, give
bad orders, and make bad tactical decisions.

My conclusion from the grunt level is that all is not so well but that we
are not in a totally hopeless situation yet.  To make candy from the crap
that we are being served, we must return to the basics and assemble
information that is as close as possible to the truth.

That ground truth is best obtained from those who would have to do the
fighting and dying vs. the sleek analysts and fast buck E-commerce salesmen.
The Democratic biased assessment that we are as ready as ever is total
nonsense.  But the Republican position that more money thrown at defense
will fix it all is just as flawed.

Zimm

© R.W. Zimmermann, LandserUSA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ARTICLE 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Memorial Day - Honoring Those that have Fallen
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ed.: Another Memorial Day is upon us. Many politicians will render empty
speeches to honor our troops' sacrifices they personally never made. Where
the political speeches fail, the simple words of those who served can stir
the proper thoughts and emotions. The following piece is by a former old
Guard Officer. The attached poem was written by one of his soldiers. On the
upcoming Memorial Day, a salute and warm thanks from all of us to the troops
of the 3rd US Infantry who make sure that duty, honor and country live on
from the day you don the uniform, to the day you are recalled from duty on
this planet.
By Bob Milani
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Memorial Day conjures up so many memories of a previous life.  A military
life, a life spent as an infantry officer in command of American soldiers.
No greater honor exists in this world than to lead the wonderful men and
women of this blessed country.  And no greater honor exists within the
military, as in command of soldiers providing military honors to our fallen
comrades.  For more than a year I had the privilege of company command in
the prestigious 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) at Arlington
Cemetery.

Those of you who have visited Arlington Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknown
Soldier, know The Old Guard.  These are the soldiers who guard the Tomb and
pay silent tribute to the Unknown Soldier.  Each of these Tomb guard's
movements are executed silently, with precision and grace.  Each of their
movements replicate a higher purpose:  That of bestowing honor on the dead.
Each movement is choreographed to replicate our nation's highest honor -- a
21-gun salute; each Tomb guard does so with their 21-step cadence and their
21-second salute.

Many of us remember President Kennedy's funeral at Arlington Cemetery:  A
horse drawn  caisson, John-John's salute, the three rifle volleys, the
mellifluous notes of Taps echoing in the hills of Arlington, and the folding
and presentation of the flag to Mrs. Kennedy.

The daily life of the average Old Guard Soldier revolves around providing
military honors at funerals conducted in Arlington.  It was not uncommon for
my company to be assigned more than 10 funerals a day - all of which were
executed flawlessly.

Each of these soldiers took their job seriously and trained accordingly.
Whether as part of the casket team, the firing party or the marching
platoon, each soldier had a role to play and a job to do.   Precision,
timing, teamwork, impeccable appearance, and discipline were the hallmarks
of The Old Guard soldier.  There were no slouches.  These soldiers were the
best the Army had to offer -- they knew it and I knew it.

When these soldiers were not conducting funerals, they were training to
conduct funerals.   No one wanted to make a mistake.  The firing party
strived to have seven men so synchronized that on the command of "Fire!" the
volley sounded like one big "crack. "  The eight-man casket team's goal was
a good flag fold - a tight tuck with no red showing.   All of these
movements were choreographed with the military band, the caisson horsemen,
the color guard, the marching platoon, and the bugler.  Most of these
commands were executed without verbal command and on silent cue.  To witness
a funeral at Arlington was to see attention to detail in its minutest form.

One who participates in these events cannot help but be moved.  Many days I
fought back tears.  The days that I was assigned to present the flag to the
widow of the deceased were the most difficult for me and the difficulty
usually started at the playing of Taps.

No matter how professional an organization is, motivating a unit to perform
a repetitive task at a high level of execution is not always easy.  For me,
personalizing the event as much as possible had the necessary effect of
drawing out the best in my soldiers.  Anything I could learn before the
funeral about the deceased and their family I would pass on to the soldiers.

Soldiers do not express their emotions easily.  I always felt that I was the
only one struggling to maintain my composure, but I was not.  The following
story really defines The Old Guard and caring attitude exemplified by its
soldiers:

We were assigned to perform a military funeral for 2nd Lieutenant William P.
Dever. We were to provide only a headstone marker and military honors for
this man - 47 years after his death.

Three weeks before being shipped out to England, William Dever married a
beautiful girl.  Six weeks later his plane was shot down over the English
Channel and he was killed.  His body was never recovered.

In that very short time before his deployment to England, William Dever and
his lovely lady, smitten with young love, had conceived a son.  William
Dever's son was present the day of his father's funeral, memorializing a
father he never new.  He walked next to his mother behind the horse drawn
caisson.  Since there were no remains, the caisson carried only an empty
casket bearing an American Flag.  The funeral was very moving to me and to
my soldiers as well - more so than I knew at the time.

The day I relinquished command of my company, a soldier presented me the
following poem about that funeral.  It moves me to the point of tears every
time I read it and takes me back to that hallowed place.
--------------------------------
In Memory of 2nd Lieutenant William Dever
***********************************
"Can you see me?"

I can see you; looking so lost.
The blank stare, the empty expression.

Emotionless you sit - broken, melancholy, I feel your pain . . .
A flag shadows the lawn before a quiet marker standing in silent
representation of a fallen hero; the one you loved . . .

Three sharp cracks that leave your ears ringing.
Taps is lifted up; the melody fills the air; it's tune wretches the heart,
pulling out memories of happiness lost long ago.
As the notes fade gently to their rest; I can hear the sobs echoing on the
wind.

I watch you still; as the flag is folded.  Mesmerized, I am unable to look
away.
I watch the strength - the composure, creep it's way back into your spine.

A salute rendered, the flag presented.
To see you receive the flag, clutching it to you;
Maybe you feel you'll regain one last moment of closeness with the one you
lost?

I'm still watching you as the crowd slowly departs.
If you look up towards the silent formation on the hill you'll see me too -
I'm the soldier with the tears in his eyes.

PFC Kevin W. Baker
Charlie Guard, 3rd U.S. Infantry (The Old Guard)
August 1991

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL