from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin
Grabbe</A>
-----
Digital Society

DOJ Wages War on Net Drugs

by Declan McCullagh

WASHINGTON -- Internet shoppers, look out: The next time you buy from an
overseas pharmacy, you might go to jail.

The problem of Americans ordering from unregulated drugstores abroad is so
acute that new federal penalties are necessary, administration and
congressional officials said during a hearing Thursday.

"I believe that the noose is slowly tightening around the neck of domestic
sites ... but the question on foreign sites is what can we do about them?"
asked William Hubbard, senior associate commissioner at the Food and Drug
Administration.

"An effective Internet enforcement process requires establishing priorities,
identifying and monitoring potentially violative websites, and making
appropriate referrals for criminal prosecution," Hubbard told members of the
House Commerce Subcommittee on Oversight.
The Justice Department had its own proposal: Grant it the power to block
related financial or credit card transactions.

"Such an amendment (to existing law) would provide the department with an
important weapon to combat the harms posed by offshore ... online
pharmacies," said Ethan Posner, deputy associate attorney general.

Posner said it is currently illegal to order unapproved drugs from another
country. He also said it's against U.S. law for an overseas pharmacy to sell
prescription drugs to Americans without a prescription.

But if drugs are legal in other countries and not in the United States,
there's little incentive for foreign companies to kowtow to the Justice
Department or FDA rules.

So that leaves the unpalatable prospect of checking packages at the border.
But the Customs Service needs larger budgets and more staff to do a good job,
one official said.

"With the resources we have, we must take a risk management approach," said
Betsy Durant, director of Customs' office of trade programs. She said that
the agency plans to "proactively search the Internet" for foreign drugstore
sites.

Ed Hudgins, director of regulatory studies at the free-market Cato Institute
and an FDA critic, said the feds should give up.

"These guys realize the Internet is a threat to their regulatory authority,"
said Hudgins, who has criticized President Clinton's regulatory proposal from
last December.

"By this logic the federal government can control any kind of e-commerce,"
Hudgins said. "They're doing this supposedly to protect the public from
fraud. .... Every other government agency will have justification to regulate
the Internet too."

Representative Tom Bliley (R-Virginia), chairman of the full House Commerce
Committee, described unapproved drugstore orders as "the biggest problem we
face."

It was a bipartisan sentiment.

"If we don't get control of these rogue sites, we might just find out the
hard way," said Representative Ron Klink (D-Pennsylvania), the most senior
Democrat on the panel.

Representative Richard Burr (R-North Carolina), however, dissented on one
point. He said a White House-backed proposal went beyond traditional
regulations.

"Your bill calls for administrative subpoena power and civil monetary
penalties that don't exist in the offline world," Burr said. "So if you're
trying to match up the offline and the online worlds, you might have gone too
far."

The FDA on May 2 sent to Congress the Internet Prescription Drug Sales Act,
which would regulate online pharmacies.

Wired News, May 26, 2000

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL