--
Any person can stand adversity,
The true test is to give a person power.

If you treat a relationship as if you are the only one in it, eventually
you will be.

Atrocities happen when the people about you -
 start considering you surplus.

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of
others to differ from me in opinion"
      ---- Thomas Jefferson <br><br>

My Grandfather told me there are two kinds of people:
those who do the work and
those who take the credit.
He told me to be in the first group -
 there is less competition there. -
Indira Gandhi

http://freeweb.digiweb.com/science_fiction/ThePiedPiper/~index.htm
ICQ 14484977
NEW
http://ThePiedPiper.tripod.com/site_map.htm

> ** Original Subject: [iaq2000] MCS  by  Albert  Donney
> ** Original Sender: "Eagle Nest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> ** Original Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 13:56:58 -0500 (CDT)

> ** Original Message follows...

>Title: On the Recognition of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity in Medical
Literature and Government Policy
Author(s): Albert H. Donnay
Source: International Journal of Toxicology      Volume: 18 Number: 6
Publisher: Taylor and Francis
Abstract: The history of chemical sensitivity in America is reviewed from
the first description published by Edgar Allan Poe in 1839, to its first
medical definition as a symptom of neurasthenia in 1869, its rediscovery as
allergic toxemia in 1945, its redefinition in 1987 as multiple chemical
sensitivity (MCS), and its overlap in the 1990s with chronic fatigue
syndrome, fibromyalgia syndrome, and Gulf War syndrome (GWS). More than half
of the over 500 peer-reviewed articles on MCS support an organic basis for
MCS, whereas less than one-quarter support a psychiatric basis. The same 2:1
difference is seen in the numbers of MCS researchers writing these articles
and the number of journals publishing them. A psychogenic interpretation of
MCS also is specifically rejected in the latest formal position statement on
the subject, a 1994 consensus of the American Lung Association, American
Medical Association (AMA), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA),
and U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (US CPSC) (U.S. Government
Printing Office 1994-523-217/81322). This and other government recognition
of MCS in policy, research, and scientific conferences are summarized.
Dozens of federal, state, and local authorities accept MCS as a legitimate
disease and/or disability that deserves reasonable accommodation in housing,
employment, and public facilities. Official recognition is expected later in
1999 when the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
announces a formal definition of MCS and the federal Interagency Workgroup
on MCS releases its long-awaited final report, 4 years in the making. Given
that epidemiological data from three states puts the prevalence of chemical
sensitivity at 16 to 33% of the general population, 2 to 6% of whom have
already been diagnosed with MCS, this truly is a hidden epidemic that
deserves the priority attention of public health researchers and policy
makers. Industrial toxicologists are encouraged to work on reducing and
eliminating the use of synthetic fragrances, chemical sensitizers, and other
irritants in consumer products and occupational settings.