http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13099-2000May26.html

The Man Who Knew Too Much

By Richard Leiby
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 28, 2000; Page F01

PHOTO: Carlos Ghigliotti at work. (Scott Kremer)

WHOEVER WAS TRYING TO REACH ME hung up after only two rings. But
I managed to catch the 301 area code on my caller-ID screen and
thought, "Carlos."

Carlos was a source I'd known for almost four years. His
specialty was analyzing videotapes made during the infamous 1993
Waco siege. For months he'd been calling me every week, but I
hadn't heard from him lately. I dialed his office number.

A strange voice answered. That had never happened before.

"Is Carlos there?" I asked.

"Uh, he's not . . . umm . . . available right now," the guy on
the other end mumbled.

"Who is this?" I said.

The voice identified himself as a police sergeant. I said I was a
reporter and he signed off abruptly: "I can't discuss anything
with you right now."

Had I had dialed into a crime scene? It figured. Things were
always weird with Waco. After all these years, the surprises--and
the mysteries--never seemed to end.

"Give Carlos the message that I called," I told the sergeant.

Carlos Ghigliotti would never get that message. He was, at that
moment, deceased. The police had just discovered his corpse in an
advanced state of decomposition at the office where he worked
alone--Infrared Technologies Corp., on the third floor of a
former bank building in downtown Laurel.

It was the afternoon of April 28. A seemingly healthy man was
dead at 42. Nobody had seen him in weeks; nobody had reported him
missing. Police found no sign of suicide or a break-in. Citing
the unusual circumstances of his death, they were investigating
it as a possible homicide.

Soon my phone was burning up with calls from people who knew of
Ghigliotti's work on Waco and had heard he was dead. Maybe he was
poisoned, some suggested, just as he was preparing to expose the
whole sordid coverup.

The Internet boiled over with conspiracy theories. "Carlos
Ghigliotti," stated one typical message, "was a man who knew too
much." On Web sites like www.freerepublic.com, his name was put
on lists with others who had allegedly perished from
"Arkancide"--that's what the paranoiacs called other untimely
deaths they'd somehow linked to the Clinton administration.

Ghigliotti, an expert in thermal imaging, was retained by the
House Government Reform Committee last year to probe allegations
that FBI agents--despite their vehement assertions to the
contrary--had fired their weapons at members of the Branch
Davidian sect, trapping helpless women and children inside the
burning compound on April 19, 1993. Last fall I had quoted him in
The Post as saying that infrared surveillance tapes--as well as
regular videos made by the media--contained proof that the FBI
fired: "The gunfire . . . is there, without a doubt."

In March he was finalizing his report to Congress, and he also
had been advising attorneys waging a $100 million wrongful death
suit against the government on behalf of the Davidians and their
heirs. "I still have a lot of shocking evidence to show you," he
wrote in a March 28 letter to Michael Caddell, the lead attorney
in that case.

When his body was discovered, Ghigliotti's office got the
scrutiny that Vince Foster's warranted after his suicide. Police
sealed the premises and carted off computers and files. Rep. Dan
Burton (R-Ind.), whose committee had retained Ghigliotti, called
for "a full and thorough investigation." The Justice Department's
special counsel on Waco, John C. Danforth, asked a federal court
to take control of all evidence from Ghigliotti's firm.

I'd spent hours in that workshop, reviewing tapes on his
eight-monitor JVC video console, looking for evidence of
government perfidy in grainy images, debating theories while his
beloved cats, Simone and Sipowicz, lolled at our feet. Carlos
could be exasperating--brusque, inflexible and short-tempered, a
fireplug of a guy who carried himself like a street fighter--but
he had a soft side. More than once he admitted to breaking down
in tears while examining Waco evidence. Someone had to speak for
the dead, he told me. He believed with all his heart that he had
finally uncovered the Truth.

"I've solved the case," he announced during one of his calls in
March, urging me to come once again to his lab to review
videotapes. "I know exactly what happened."

But I was busy on other stories and never made it back. Now there
was one more mystery to unravel: Was Carlos the final victim of
Waco?

Theorists and Theories

In the summer of 1996, a private investigator named Gordon
Novel--a thin, bearded, tightly wound character who'd been
enmeshed in conspiracy investigations since the JFK
assassination--brought a piece of surveillance tape to
Ghigliotti's office for examination. The black-and-white video
was recorded by the FBI's Night Stalker plane as it circled
lazily over the Branch Davidian compound, using a technology
known as Forward Looking Infrared. (FLIR--pronounced
fleer--detects temperature differences; heat sources register
brightly on videotape.)

The Waco FLIR has become a Rosetta Stone for researchers because
it shows what the media's cameras--set up miles away--couldn't
see that day. It recorded the action at the back of the compound,
as tanks smashed down walls and dismantled the building. A
portion of the tape was filed in court in 1994 when federal
prosecutors put the surviving followers of David Koresh on trial.

Seventy-five sect members died in the Waco inferno. President
Clinton called it a typical cult suicide, but the Davidians said
the havoc and rubble created by the tanks--not to mention clouds
of tear gas--prevented many from fleeing the church. Scrutinizing
the tape, Novel and others also noticed strange, repetitive
flashes emanating from positions near the tanks. They claimed
these were the thermal signatures of gunfire, but officials from
Attorney General Janet Reno on down swore the FBI never fired
that day. Government spokesmen said the flashes were nothing more
than glints of sunlight on broken glass and other debris. They
also said no shooters were visible on the tape.

Ramsey Clark--a former U.S. attorney general and world-class
conspiracy theorist in his own right--believed the Justice
Department was lying about Waco. To help him gather evidence in
the lawsuit he filed on behalf of the dead, Clark turned to
Novel, who claimed to have connections within the CIA and a close
friendship with ex-agency director William E. Colby.

Novel pushed the Arkancide theory. He asserted that deputy White
House counsel Foster was assassinated in July 1993 "to shut him
up" about Waco and that Colby--who drowned in a 1996 canoeing
mishap--had been killed because he'd corroborated the FLIR
gunfire. (Novel also had an abiding interest in alien technology
that he said was hidden at Area 51, but that's another story.)

Seeking corroboration of government misconduct at Waco, Novel
turned to Ghigliotti, recognized as one of the best FLIR analysts
in the country. Ghigliotti, a Navy veteran who'd also done work
for the FBI, wanted no part of it. He considered Novel something
of a kook. Besides, the piece of Waco tape Novel brought him, he
told me later, was junk--a washed-out, fourth-generation copy,
not worthy of analysis.

"I won't put my name on any report unless I can analyze the best
available tape," he said. "I don't believe conspiracy bull----."
(In Novel's telling, Ghigliotti wanted "too much money" to do the
work--$5,000.)

By early 1997, the FLIR gunfire allegations were about to hit the
mainstream--as the centerpiece of a documentary film, "Waco: The
Rules of Engagement," which premiered at the prestigious Sundance
Film Festival and was later nominated for an Oscar. The film's
producers got a retired supervisor in the Army's Night Vision
Laboratory--a scientist who held several FLIR patents--to go on
record supporting the gunfire theory.

Could the FBI be guilty of perjury? Even homicide? I decided to
submit the tape to as many experts as I could find. Several were
skittish, unwilling to go on the record. They feared government
retribution--in the form of IRS audits or being blacklisted from
future contracts. One said flat-out that he didn't want to end up
dead.

Eventually I got a dozen experts to view the tape. Half of them
saw gunfire. The other half saw reflections. I wrote an article
in April 1997 concluding that reading FLIR seemed to be more of
an art than a science.

Ghigliotti refused to participate then, except as a background
consultant. The most scientific way to settle the question, he
said, was to re-create the event: Fly a plane over the Texas
prairie while men were firing below, using the same FLIR camera
as in 1993, then match that tape against the original.

Good idea, I said. But that would probably never happen--unless
someone were willing to spend a fortune.

For history's sake, he hoped it would be done. "This needs to be
settled once and for all," Ghigliotti liked to say. "We need to
have the facts. It's too important not to."

With some coaxing, Ghigliotti finally agreed to offer an analysis
if I could supply him the full FLIR record of April 19. He wanted
to see and hear the entire context.

Officials at the FBI and Justice Department told me there was
only one FLIR video--a silent one that started around 10:42 a.m.
(Even though the gassing operation began at 6 a.m.)

Ghigliotti believed the FBI was hiding something. He was right.

Ghigliotti's History

Sometimes, in letters to clients and other writings, Ghigliotti
spelled his last name differently: Ghigliotty. When I asked about
it, he was evasive. He seemed to enjoy building an air of mystery
around himself.

I'd noticed that his resume said he was a minority businessman.
What minority? Italian?

"Full-blooded Puerto Rican," he said. "But my family originally
came to Puerto Rico from Italy."

Carlos Luis Ghigliotti Jr. was born in New York. He wore a neatly
trimmed beard and had light olive features. No trace of an
accent. A bit portly--5-foot-7, he weighed 175 pounds--but not
fat.

He said his father ran a transmission repair business. He
wouldn't discuss his upbringing any further.

Later I learned that his boyhood nickname was Froggie because he
enjoyed dissecting frogs in science class. He studied engineering
in Puerto Rico, but didn't take a degree. He spent six years
working as a machinist's mate aboard guided-missile cruisers.

His father, Carlos Sr., died of heart problems in his sixties. He
lost his mother, Sylvia, a heavy smoker, even earlier. She died
in Puerto Rico when Carlos Jr., her only son, was in naval
training. He flew home immediately.

He told a few close friends the story of how he ended up at her
autopsy. Mistaken for a member of the medical staff, he was in
the room when the cutting began. The medical examiners found him
out and urged him to leave: No man should see his own mother
being dissected.

Carlos refused. He was fascinated. He had to know the details.

It turned out she, too, had a bad heart. She was 42 years old.

Analyzing the Man

"I never get sick," Carlos once boasted while I was visiting him
with another Post reporter. But that day last September he was
nearly crippled by back pain, wincing and barely able to talk at
times. Too much stress, we speculated.

He'd been examining tapes for hours on end, late into the night,
ever since Waco flared back into the news. "I always see
something I didn't see before," he said.

In the rarefied field of IR analysis, Ghigliotti was known for
his exceptional equipment and hyper-accurate eyesight--he'd
received certification and recognition from the Infraspection
Institute for his "outstanding contribution to infrared
technology."

But he was just as well known for explosions of temper and
willingness to bait his foes in the courtroom, accusing them of
fabricating evidence. This hotheaded reputation earned him the
nickname "Crazy Carlos."

That day he was scrutinizing FBI tear-gassing tactics and tank
movements on some newly obtained videos. For the first time, he
was hearing sound on the FLIR tapes--including what he thought
was the report of gunfire.

These previously nonexistent FBI tapes suddenly materialized
after Attorney General Reno learned that agents had fired
potentially incendiary gas rounds at the Branch Davidian complex
on the morning of April 19, in direct violation of her orders.
The soundtrack confirmed it.

Outraged, she brought in former Missouri senator Danforth, who
vowed to answer "the dark questions" about Waco. Among them: "Was
there a coverup? Did the government kill people? How did the fire
start? Were there shootings?"

Ghigliotti claimed to already know most of the answers. He cued
up one of the videotapes I'd given him. It was fuzzy but we could
see men with breathing apparatus clustered around the tanks as
the compound burned to the ground. According to the FBI, this was
a rescue team, hoping against hope to find some Davidians alive.

"Keep your eyes on the section there," Carlos instructed.
"There's a whole bunch of firing going on in there, and you see
those guys standing up there? They're shooting into the complex."

As reporters, we couldn't say what those flashes were.
Ghigliotti, though, was dead certain--and so excited he couldn't
stop working. Never mind the pain.

"You can't deny that, okay?" He pointed at a bright smear on the
monitor. "I mean, that's undeniable."

The smoking gun? Well, maybe.

Probable Cause

"He didn't know how to let go," the dark-haired woman in
sunglasses says solemnly. "He spent many restless nights,
insomniac nights with this."

She means Waco: "He was in it. He lived it. He breathed it,"
Claire Ghigliotti says.

She is stout and speaks with a slight Hispanic accent. Her manner
is clipped and no-nonsense. It's easy to see some of Carlos in
Claire, his younger sister and sole heir.

She arrives at a restaurant in Crofton driving Carlos's white
Crown Victoria--a former police car with dark-tinted windows.
He'd rigged it to receive Internet feeds and satellite
positioning data; while driving he could also view an infrared
camera display, helpful for detecting steam leaks and
malfunctioning electrical lines when he did utility work. Carlos
loved showing off that car, she says, and even the local cops
were impressed.

"He was unique in what he did and how he lived and what he was,"
says Claire. He could also be described as obsessive.

Carlos was extremely frugal--at least when it came to spending on
himself.

He lived in his two-room office, sleeping on an air mattress. Yet
he boasted of having spent more than $100,000 on sophisticated
gadgetry for his business.

Out of embarrassment, Ghigliotti pretended to have another home.
Even friends didn't know of this secret life; I never caught on
during my five or six visits to his firm. The building had a
bathroom down the hall, and apparently he would check into local
hotels to shower, his sister speculates. He was always well
groomed.

Claire, a Home Depot receiving administrator who moved here last
year from Colorado, says she sometimes wouldn't hear from Carlos
for weeks--though they lived just 20 miles apart. She last spoke
to her brother April 2 and left him three phone messages
thereafter--including an invitation to have arroz con pollo at
her place--but figured he was busy or didn't want to see her.

He often traveled to testify in drug and forfeiture cases in
which infrared cameras were used. Increasingly, law enforcement
relies upon IR to detect the heat of methamphetamine labs and
high-intensity "grow lights" used by marijuana cultivators.
Ghigliotti would only agree to do defense work for dope suspects
in accordance with his personal code: He'd do it just once, and
only after they pledged never to break the law again. "He
lectured every defendant he worked for," recalls Scott Kremer, a
convicted pot grower in California, who says he had to make a
donation to a drug-treatment program before Ghigliotti would take
on his case.

Nobody knows exactly when Ghigliotti died, but his sister thinks
it was April 6. Police found him dressed in nightclothes and
lying on the air mattress. They also discovered a grocery
receipt--he'd been out shopping on April 4--and some moldy ham
and cheese sandwiches. One was half-eaten by his cats.

Simone and Sipowicz--both older, hefty felines--survived. Claire
has adopted them.

If not for some of the other tenants' curiosity, Ghigliotti's
body might have gone undetected even longer behind the locked,
thick metal door to Suite 304. His car hadn't been moved for
three weeks. The computer dealers, accountants and secretaries in
the building thought that strange; they also may have heard the
cats meowing. They notified the management.

Claire figured she would have tracked Carlos down by May 4--to
give him a present for his 43rd birthday. Instead she ended up
arranging his funeral, calling numbers from a tidy list of 25
names in his wallet.

A Laurel police officer who attended the autopsy let Claire know
that her brother most likely died of natural causes. She figured
as much: Carlos had a classic Type A personality. He hadn't taken
a vacation since 1989. He internalized stress. He didn't smoke,
but he didn't exercise. And he didn't eat right: "He was a
fast-food junkie," Claire says.

Maryland's chief medical examiner later confirmed that Ghigliotti
suffered a heart attack; he had massive arterial blockage. The
coroner performed toxicology tests and found no chemical
substances except an over-the-counter flu remedy. Nevertheless,
on the Internet there continued to be suggestions that Carlos was
(a) killed by anthrax, which creates flu-like symptoms, or (b)
survives as a government agent--paid off handsomely to allow a
pauper's corpse to be planted in his office.

"Let the crazies think what they want to think," says Claire,
sounding just as hard-nosed as her brother. She's no believer in
conspiracies. Except . . .

"I saw the tapes," she says. Once last fall her brother stayed at
her home, paranoid, believing his life was in danger. He made her
watch everything.

"He did a second-by-second analysis of where, what, when."

So the FBI is lying?

"Of course," she says. "Every one of them lied."

Claire decided to have her brother buried, not cremated--just in
case, she says. Because maybe, someday, he might need to be
exhumed.

Contradictory Analyses

One of the last times I heard from Carlos, he was furious. He
cursed Dan Burton and said he was through with the congressional
committee. "I'm quitting," he said. "The Republicans are more
worried about their budget than with finding out what really
happened."

Since being retained in October, he had put in five months of
work and been paid only $16,100, he said. Now the committee was
refusing to fund the hours he felt he needed to complete his
work. It also wouldn't pay for a trip to Texas so he could
participate in the March 19 Waco gunfire test being staged at the
request of Special Counsel Danforth.

That came as a huge blow. Finally, somebody was going to fly over
Texas with a FLIR camera--the idea he had years ago--and he
wouldn't be in the game.

"He had a delicate ego. He took everything so personally," said
David Michael, a San Francisco criminal defense lawyer. "He
couldn't separate his personality from his professionalism."

Claire Ghigliotti believes that Congress cut her brother's funds
because he got "too close to the truth." But a Government Reform
Committee spokesman said Ghigliotti was defunded because the
analyst repeatedly failed to produce what the staff considered a
"scientific" report.

Ghigliotti wrote a detailed listing of where he detected alleged
gunfire, but included no calculations or comparisons based on
other IR-recorded muzzle bursts. He said he knew exactly what
gunfire looked like, based on his previous experience. He simply
ruled out the possibility of sunlight reflections with this
statement: "There is no alternative explanation. None."

Burton's investigators didn't think his view would hold up as
testimony, unless it were backed with algorithms, models and
charts. Ghigliotti maintained that he needed more time for that.

It's hard to imagine that Burton was party to some
uber-conspiracy to silence Ghigliotti. This, after all, is a
member of Congress who once shot a cantaloupe in his back yard to
pursue a theory that a second gunman was involved in Foster's
suicide.

Claire has a copy of her brother's preliminary report to Burton,
dated March 20. It dissects just one of the FLIR tapes from that
day. It counts 70 shots supposedly fired from the weapons of the
well-armed Branch Davidians. (The FBI has always said the Koresh
forces blasted away at its agents all morning.)

Ghigliotti also counted 57 shots "going into the
structure"--gunfire he said clearly came from government
positions. He presumed the FBI was simply defending itself, as
authorized by the rules of engagement. His eyes also saw seven
"unknown subjects" flitting around in the rubble at the back of
the collapsed structure near the tanks.

In the months before his death, he eagerly showed several people
the "subjects" captured on the FLIR tape, saying these were most
likely the FBI gunmen. They were impossible to see until he
slowed the film to a frame-by-frame crawl on special monitors,
but they were there: spectral gray images that looked and moved
exactly like human beings. Or ghosts.

I saw a couple of them myself. Federal forces? Who knows. The
government's latest position is that no people are ever visible
at the back of the compound where the tanks are.

A new batch of British infrared experts--hired by Danforth's
office to simulate the Waco incident and analyze the April 1993
FLIR tapes--says it's all tricks of sunlight. A report from
Vector Data Systems found no evidence of a gun battle whatsoever.
Just flashes from debris, including a shiny metal plate.

These "thermal events, including the alleged sighting of a
person, are all caused by passive specular solar reflection,
active thermal reflection or movement of debris," Vector
reported.

The FBI was overjoyed when the Vector report came out in early
May. "This resolves the FLIR flash issue," an FBI spokesman, John
Collingwood, told me. "From our perspective, it lays it to rest."

But the ghosts of Waco never seem to stay at rest. Burton's
investigation grinds along. So does Danforth's--last week his
staff obtained copies of some of Ghigliotti's files. The civil
case in Texas is set for trial June 19.

Houston lawyer Michael Caddell, representing the Davidian side,
wanted Ghigliotti to be his expert witness. Visiting the lab in
late March, Caddell was astonished at the detail Ghigliotti had
coaxed from the FLIR and media tapes with his super-enhancing
equipment. He offered him $20,000 for further analysis.

"He had a better handle on this than anyone I've seen," Caddell
recalls. "And he was the most reasonable in his assessments."

But Ghigliotti was deeply ambivalent about doing more Waco work.
He told his sister it was depressing him. He told me he didn't
want to endlessly relive a tragedy that most Americans had long
forgotten.

"My current plans (until I met you) were to finish the
congressional findings and then take a long vacation," he wrote
to Caddell on March 28. "I forgot to tell you that I am currently
suffering a rare sickness. It has been diagnosed as Waco
fatigue."

What He Left Behind

Carlos didn't have health insurance. When he was feeling ill, he
relied on drugstore potions.

At Claire's invitation, I visited his office one last time. The
Carlos Bunker--that's what I used to call it. Now, standing amid
the accumulated evidence of his short life, that glib
journalistic label didn't seem so funny.

I noticed several packets of TheraFlu medication strewn about. He
stored Milk of Magnesia and Pepto-Bismol in the small
refrigerator. A hoard of painkillers was stashed in desk drawers.

I imagined him rising from a fitful sleep, agitated over FLIR
flashes, Dan Burton and the specters of Waco, vainly trying to
stave off symptoms of heart disease.

For the first time I noticed a closet, and I found a suit bag
hanging there, as well as a small mirror. I saw how he made this
place his home. On a shelf sat a mini-stereo and rows of New Wave
CDs: He liked the Police, Human League and the Psychedelic Furs.
On another shelf was a lone video disc: "The X-Files."

I wondered what had ever happened to the woman, about his age,
whom I'd once met working here. She seemed more familiar to him
than a temp. I thought maybe they were close. Carlos once
mentioned he was looking for a woman to settle down and have
children with.

I didn't wonder anymore whether he was right or wrong about Waco.
That's for the courts, the prosecutors and Congress to decide. I
just wondered how Carlos Ghigliotti, who wanted so much to speak
for the dead, forgot how to live.

Mystery Men

Two sailors in blazing white uniforms and white gloves saluted as
the hearse pulled up at the Maryland Veterans' Cemetery at
Cheltenham. As befit a man who had served his country honorably,
Ghigliotti was entitled to a flag-draped casket, a flawlessly
performed military ceremony and a decent plot of ground.

The mourners were few--just nine of us, including those who'd met
Carlos through his work. We sat close to the front of the
sweltering chapel, the better to hear the Catholic priest over
the clanking air-cooling system.

The message was entirely clear to me when he cited one of St.
Paul's lessons: We live by faith--by believing, not by seeing.

There was a stir in the back of the room as a knot of dark-suited
men arrived. They sat off to the side, by themselves, five of
them. They exited hastily after the ceremony, not pausing to
greet Claire or anyone else.

They departed in an SUV behind smoked windows. None of the
mourners had any idea who they were.

© 2000 The Washington Post Company

http://dallasnews.com/waco/72560_WACO02.html

Branch Davidians' lawyer asks judge to impound work of deceased expert

05/02/2000 By Lee Hancock/The Dallas Morning News

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL