The Seagram Company owns Universal Studios and Universal Music group.
Seagram is a member of the RIAA, which has sued Napster.

Excerpt from the Seagram CEO's remarks:
>We need to create a standard that balances one's right to privacy with
>the need to restrict anonymity, which shelters illegal activity...
>[Otherwise we] countenance anarchy. To do so would undermine the very
>basis of our civilized society. In the appropriation of intellectual
>property, myMP3.com, Napster, and Gnutella [are] the ringleaders, the
>exemplars of theft, of piracy, of the illegal and willful appropriation of
>someone else's property.

Also see:

Anti-Napster fight takes aim at online anonymity
May 31, 2000
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-1983353.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni

-Declan

http://www.seagram.com/news/current-press/scl052600b.html

Remarks As Prepared For Delivery by
Edgar Bronfman, Jr.
Real Conference 2000
San Jose, California
May 26, 2000

    Thank you and good morning. I'm very happy to be here and to witness
    first hand the mission upon which Rob, his colleagues at Real and
    Real's partners have embarked. That mission is vitally important to
    better serve a world hungry for information and entertainment.

    In partnering with Universal, a company dedicated to delivering
    entertainment to consumers everywhere, including via the Internet, we
    have together committed to creating a top-quality consumer experience
    in which the content delivered is completely secure.

    That work will be the bedrock on which huge creative and industrial
    efforts will be based.

    In the next few minutes, I'd like to focus on some critical issues
    that I believe to be central to the continued operation and expansion
    of the Internet. New technologies are creating tremendous
    opportunities for businesses and consumers.

    But, like many innovations throughout history, today's digital
    technologies are, at the same time, spawning serious and fundamental
    challenges.

    While I'll touch on the opportunities that lie ahead for all of us -
    and they are without question immense - I want to sound a different
    note at this conference by addressing the challenges. Specifically,
    combating the dangerous and misguided notion that property is not
    property if it's on the Web, and the piracy that that notion
    perpetuates.

    In addition, I want to discuss the very real difference between
    privacy and anonymity. In the blurred vision of speed and innovation,
    those two quite separate values have become indistinct, and that lack
    of distinction is currently having - and will continue to have - a
    deleterious effect on our culture, our society and the long-term
    growth of the Internet.

    Clearly, in this New World of technology built upon technology,
    opportunities abound.

    If the past is prologue, then the advent of new technologies has much
    to offer both the creators of entertainment and those who enjoy and
    consume it.

    And the repercussions of this current technological revolution will
    dwarf the changes that were brought about by previous advances. We now
    live in an era in which a few clicks of your mouse will make it
    possible for you to summon every book ever written in any language,
    every movie ever made, every television show ever produced, and every
    piece of music ever recorded.

    Music is on the leading edge of this revolution, and because of that,
    it has become the first product to illuminate the central - and I
    believe the most critical - challenge for this technological
    revolution: The protection of "intellectual property rights."

    For all of us, "property" rights are well understood and universally
    accepted. You own a home. You own a car. They're yours - they belong
    to you. They are your property. Well, your ideas belong to you, too.
    And "intellectual property" is property, period.

    But there are those who believe that because technology can access
    property and appropriate it, then somehow that which is yours is no
    longer yours -because technology has made it simple and easy for
    someone else to take it from you.

    If intellectual property is not protected - across the board, in every
    case, with no exceptions and no sophistry about a changing world -
    what will happen? Intellectual property will suffer the fate of the
    buffalo.

    For the great ferment of works and ideas, including your own, if taken
    at will and without restraint, have no chance of surviving any better
    than did the buffalo.

    And why is this important? Because you, like we in the entertainment
    business, are thoroughly dependent on patents and copyright. You need
    them no less than we do, to protect your processes, your conceptions,
    your software code, your procedures, your designs, your ideas.

    My central belief that the protection of intellectual property rights
    is vital to the prosperity of the Internet, and my assertion that "you
    need them no less than we do," illuminate my purpose in making this
    address: The Internet does not exist, and cannot prosper in a world
    that is separate from our civilized society and the fundamental laws
    upon which it is based.

    So am I warring against the culture of the Internet, threatening to
    depopulate Silicon Valley as I move a Roman legion or two of Wall
    Street lawyers to litigate in Bellevue and San Jose? I have moved
    those lawyers - or some of them - but I have done so, and will
    continue to do so - not to attack the Internet and its culture but for
    its benefit and to protect it. For its benefit.

    What would the Internet be without "content?" It would be a valueless
    collection of silent machines with gray screens. It would be the
    electronic equivalent of a marine desert - lovely elements, nice
    colors, no life. It would be nothing.

    The main challenge for you in continuing the growth of the Internet at
    this time is not taxation; it is not government regulation; it is not
    in any way technical. It is, rather, to manage, preserve and protect
    the sun around which all these planets make their stately circles.

    That sun is not an operating system or even the
    greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts Internet itself: It is the content,
    without which the Internet would die in a day.

    The main challenge for my colleagues and me is really the same - for
    your interests and ours are not separate, they are closely,
    inextricably linked.

    And so I will, as the leader of one of the world's foremost content
    companies, fight to preserve the creativity and the genius of creators
    everywhere, including the ones in this room.

    Right now, Universal is engaging in five areas in order to defend and
    promote the works of the great talents with whom we are privileged to
    be associated.

    First, we are focused on creating and launching a consumer-preferred
    and legal system for consumers to access the media they desire -
    beginning with music.

    We will launch a secure downloading format later this summer that will
    be the start of making our content widely available in digital form.

    We want downloadable music to be easy to find, and its delivery to be
    fast, convenient, dependable and secure. That's why we've partnered
    with Real, Magex and InterTrust Technologies.

    And the multi-media product we will launch will be more than just
    music.

    We are providing artists with a broader canvas on which to express
    themselves, and we are creating a far richer experience for the
    consumer. For example, consumers will have access to album art,
    lyrics, production notes and photos of the artists, links to other
    sites and, eventually, music videos. We'll also offer the chance for
    them to chat on line with artists.

    And because of the security our product will offer, consumers' privacy
    will also benefit because their files and their systems won't be
    corrupted.

    In addition to this product and system we've developed, earlier this
    month, Universal Music and Sony Music announced a joint venture to
    develop subscription-based services that will include music and video
    offerings across every possible platform.

    We are very aware of the intense and the vast demand that exists on
    the part of music lovers to find the music they want, when they want
    it, where they want it, all the time. And we are responding by
    delivering competitive - and legal - systems for them to do so.

    Second, we know that going into a record store and removing a CD is
    wrong. It is stealing. It is thievery.

    We will re-emphasize this truth and articulate this message in an
    educational effort, with our industry allies, targeted to the great
    majority of people who want to do the right thing - yet, may not fully
    comprehend that accessing copyrighted material without proper payment
    or permission in the digital world, is as wrong as it is in the
    physical world.

    Each new technological advance inevitably requires new behaviors. When
    tape recorders came along, we grappled with the distinctions to be
    made between taping things for your own enjoyment and selling the
    tapes. When photocopiers came along, we had to deal with how much of
    something could be copied and under what circumstances without
    constituting theft.

    Now the Internet has created a newer version of the same issues. Once
    again, we need to thrash out how intellectual property can and should
    be protected in the context of new, digital technologies.

    The Internet world is a brave new world. But make no mistake, it could
    only have been created and it will only survive, in the context of our
    civilized world, which has taken humanity centuries to construct.

    This technological revolution will reshape it - perhaps even more
    dramatically than the Industrial Revolution reshaped its world. But
    the principles of law, of justice and of civilization will not be
    overturned. If the Internet requires these basic principles to be
    sacrificed so that it may prosper, it will wither and die like the
    Hantavirus, which expires as it devours the very life that would
    sustain it.

    Universal's third initiative is the use of technology. Just as
    technology gives, so can it take away. As technology enables crime, so
    can it be used to protect us from crime and criminals.

    We have available to us growing arsenals of technological weapons that
    will be brought to bear on inappropriate access to material on the
    Internet.

    Whether it is better and more robust methods of security, or tools to
    track down those who ignore right from wrong, technology will offer
    the owners of property at least as much comfort as it may currently
    offer to hackers and spies, pirates and pedophiles.

    Technology exists that can trace every Internet download and tag every
    file. These tools make it possible to identify those who are using the
    Internet to improperly and illegally acquire music and other
    copyrighted information. While adhering to the principle of respect
    for individual privacy, we fully intend to exploit technology to
    protect the property which rightfully belongs to its owners.

    The fourth route we have already pursued is to utilize existing laws
    to bring to justice those who demonstrate contempt for law and
    copyright, and seek to profit from that which is not lawfully theirs.

    Here, we have already seen some major successes:
      * In late April, a U.S. District Court for the Southern District of
        New York ruled that myMP3.com was liable for copyright
        infringement.
      * In mid-May, the U.S. District Court in Northern California ruled
        against Napster. The court denied Napster's claim that it was a
        mere conduit, and the court determined that Napster had not taken
        adequate steps to keep repeat infringers, who use pirated
        material, from using the site.
      * Another recent victory confirming the application of copyright law
        to cyberspace involved the unlawful dissemination of DVD anti-copy
        codes.
      * A fourth case involving the retransmission of television signals
        over the Internet resulted in a clear-cut victory for copyright
        holders. The judge in this case enjoined iCraveTV from
        re-transmitting broadcast signals via the Web from Canada.

    These four court rulings illustrate the legal process that is defining
    the boundaries of right and wrong as intellectual property rights are
    applied to a new technological era.

    All of us who believe in the right to own property, and therefore in
    the sanctity of copyright, will be fiercely aggressive in this area.
    We will fight for our rights and those of our artists, whose work,
    whose creations, whose property are being stolen and exploited. We
    will take our fight to every territory, in every court in every venue,
    wherever our fundamental rights are being assaulted and attacked.

    Let me now turn to my fifth point. We must restrict the anonymity
    behind which people hide to commit crimes. Anonymity must not be
    equated with privacy. As citizens, we have a right to privacy. We have
    no such right to anonymity.

    Privacy is getting your e-mail address taken off of "spam" mailing
    lists; privacy is making sure some hacker doesn't have access to your
    social security number or your mother's maiden name. On line, privacy
    is assuring that what you do, so long as it is legal, is your own
    business and may not be exploited by others.

    Anonymity, on the other hand, means being able to get away with
    stealing, or hacking, or disseminating illegal material on the
    Internet - and presuming the right that nobody should know who you
    are. There is no such right. This is nothing more than the digital
    equivalent of putting on a ski mask when you rob a bank.

    Anonymity, disguised as privacy, is still anonymity, and it must not
    be used to strip others of their rights, including their right to
    privacy or their property rights. We need to create a standard that
    balances one's right to privacy with the need to restrict anonymity,
    which shelters illegal activity.

    We cannot suggest that the ready and appropriate distinctions we make
    between privacy and anonymity in the physical world are irrelevant in
    the digital world. To do so would be to countenance anarchy. To do so
    would undermine the very basis of our civilized society.

    In the appropriation of intellectual property, myMP3.com, Napster, and
    Gnutella (which has stolen from the breakfasts of 100 million European
    children even its name) are, in my opinion, the ringleaders, the
    exemplars of theft, of piracy, of the illegal and willful
    appropriation of someone else's property.

    What individuals might do unthinkingly for pleasure, in my view, they
    do with forethought for profit, justifying with weak and untenable
    rationale their theft of the labor and genius of others.

    They rationalize what they do with a disingenuous appeal to
    utopianism: Everything on the Internet should be free.

    Other than the gifts of God and Nature, that which is free is free
    only because someone else has paid for it. What of the extraordinary
    gifts of software and whole operating systems of which we sometimes
    read?

    They are rare, and sometimes they are loss leaders. Some of the donors
    may regret their generosity when later they are confronted with their
    children's college tuition and orthodontic bills, but yes, they have
    given, and they have given freely.

    There is a difference, however, between giving and taking. Had those
    donors been compelled to do what they have done, it would be a tale
    not of generosity but of coercion, not of liberality but of servitude.
    Those whose intellectual property is simply appropriated on the
    Internet or anywhere else, are forced to labor without choice or
    recompense, for the benefit of whoever might wish to take a piece of
    their hide.

    If this is a principle of the New World, it is suspiciously like the
    Old World principle called slavery.

    It is against this that we have initiated legal action. It is not, and
    will not be, because we wish to suppress ingenious methods by which
    our products may be delivered, but because we wish to maintain
    rightful control and receive fair compensation.

    The massive power of the Internet can permanently wipe out and shut
    down in one unthinking moment, a writer who may depend for his living
    on the sale of 5 or 10 thousand copies of his book. It can devastate a
    musician who sells a few thousand copies of a homemade CD to his fans
    in some small and little known community.

    And these would only be the first casualties. The rest would follow as
    the very basis of the New Economy was undermined.

    Undermined - by whom?

    Well, not by most people, who have stated in overwhelming majorities
    time and again that they would be perfectly happy to pay a fair price
    for what they receive, but by a very small segment who would profit by
    cultivating and taking advantage of each person's least admirable
    qualities.

    And while it is often true that ambiguity exists at the core of a
    controversy, here, however, is perhaps the clearest exception to date
    to that general rule of ambiguity, for the dangers are obvious, the
    issues familiar, the principles long established and for good reason.

    To those who would abandon or subvert those principles, I say we are
    right with the Constitution, in which protection for intellectual
    property is founded; right with the common law; right with precedent
    and right with what is fair and just.

    But being fair, or being just, in a battle for survival is often not
    enough.

    World War II was won by the Allied forces, not only because we were
    right, but also because we had more men and women, more weaponry and
    more money, and that money in turn would train more men and women and
    build more weaponry.

    But being fair, and being just, is what allowed our civilized society
    to survive and prosper, while that of our conquering ally, the Soviet
    Union, cracked, crumbled and collapsed because it attempted to
    perpetuate a society that was fundamentally unjust, and unfair.

    And if the Internet should require an unjust and unfair paradigm in
    order to perpetuate itself, then it too will crack, crumble and
    collapse, and it won't take five decades of Cold War politics for it
    happen.

    That is why it is in your interest to join our fight to protect and
    defend the property rights of creators everywhere. And that is why we
    are bringing our fight to the court of justice and to the court of
    public opinion.

    We will fight our battle in the marketplace as well, by bringing our
    products to consumers with innovative, legal, consumer-preferred
    solutions. And we will work with the research laboratories of
    technology companies throughout the world, so that we may better
    protect our property and promote our purpose.

    Let this be our notice then to all those who hold fairness in
    contempt, who devalue and demean the labor and genius of others, that
    because we have considered our actions well and because we are
    followers without reticence of a clear and just principle, we will not
    retreat.

    For in the end, this is not only a fight about the protection of music
    or movies, software code or video games. Nor is it a fight about
    technology's promise or its limitations. This is, at its core, quite
    simply about right and wrong.

    Thank you for letting me speak from the heart.

                                    # # #