From
http://www.stlnet.com/postnet/stories.nsf/ByDocID/9927C0C4882AFA7E862568F20010EA
BF

}}>Begin
How do you spell a winner . . .
G-E-O-R-G-E
 George Abraham Thampy, 12, celebrates winning the National Spelling Bee with
his father. (Paul J. Richards/AFP Photo)

By Bill Bell Jr.
Of the Post-Dispatch
WASHINGTON - And then there was one.
Maryland Heights' George Abraham Thampy became the best young speller in the
country Thursday, winning the 73rd Annual Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee.

Standing calmly before a packed house, George, 12, spelled "demarche," meaning
a line of action, to win in the 15th round.

Earlier in the contest, George said he nearly stumbled on the word
"emmetropia," or the condition of normal refraction of light in the eye, in
which vision is perfect.

George said he wasn't sure about the placement of an "e" or an "a."

"I prayed, and God gave me that. God told me the correct spelling," he said.
George sat through most of the final round Thursday, staring at the red-
carpeted floor, shielding his eyes, and sneaking glances at his nervous
parents. He said most of the time he was praying.

Jacob Norton, of Traverse City, Mich., was on the stage with him. Jacob, who
finished fourth, said it was clear that George was more prepared than anyone
else.

"I was just thinking I'm glad I didn't have that one," Jacob said of
emmetropia.

George has had a good couple of weeks. On May 24, he took second place in the
National Geography Bee in Washington, winning a $15,000 college scholarship.
The spelling bee brought a $10,000 prize, which he said he would give to his
parents.

George took third place in the same contest last year, winning $3,000. In 1998,
he placed fourth, wining $1,000.

This year, George was the last speller standing out of 248 youths who competed
at the national level Wednesday and Thursday. He had advanced to Washington by
winning the Post-Dispatch Spelling Bee in St. Louis on March 18. It was the
third year in a row he was the St. Louis winner.

The national bee was staged in rounds at the Grand Hyatt Hotel. With the
contestant standing at a microphone, a "pronouncer" carefully enunciated each
word. Contestants who "spelled out," or misspelled a word, were informed by a
dreaded bell.

Some walked off close to tears. Others gave high-fives. Almost every time,
George asked for the meaning of the word, its pronunciation and how it could be
used in a sentence. He also asked questions about derivation.
Winning the national prize made George an instant celebrity. The contest was
broadcast live on ESPN, the cable TV network. After he won, the shy boy faced a
standing ovation followed by a news conference with a battery of television
cameras and journalists. Other participants shook hands and asked for his
autograph.

This morning, George was to appear on the "Today Show" and "Good Morning
America." The family also was to attend a banquet before returning home to
Maryland Heights.

Five of George's six siblings made the trip to Washington for the event.
George's mother, Bina, teaches the Thampy children at home.
George's father, Dr. K. George Thampy, said he made the decision to home school
his children about the time George was born in Houston. Public school officials
there were talking about installing metal detectors.

Bina Thampy said at first she had never heard of home schooling. When they
started, the family visited the public library for textbooks. She said she
stressed reading, writing and arithmetic before branching out to other
subjects.

All of her seven children are smart, she said, but George's verbal skills are
"outstanding."

"I knew that from the beginning," Bina Thampy said. "He had a way with words."
George started reading early. His mother said he read comic strips at first.
George said his earliest reading memory is from Consumer Reports.
When he was 3, George asked his parents about a spelling bee he had read about
in a newspaper. "He said he wants to do it," George's father said.

The family began training him - most heavily when he was 6, 7 , and 8 years
old. Bina Thampy, who like her husband is from southern India, said sometimes
George would correct her pronunciation. Her son entered his first spelling bee
in 1994.

His mother said that in all those years, she never heard "I'm tired" from him.
"We tell him that we are tired," joked Dr. Thampy.

George said he studied spelling about three or four hours a night. But in the
past six months, he actually spent more time studying geography, he said.

Dr. Thampy said home schooling has allowed him and his wife to focus on their
children's development. When asked what he admires most about his son, Dr.
Thampy said: "He respects authority. He obeys his parents. He honors God. At
the same time he is a typical boy."

Bina Thampy said her son is usually not as shy as he was in Washington. At
home, he likes to collect stamps and coins, fly kites and work with computers.
He plays the flute and has just joined the Boy Scouts.
George says he wants to go into medicine but has not decided on a specialty.
His father is a physician and a biochemist.
Winning prizes was not his main goal, George said. He participated in spelling
bees because he simply loves words.
Even if he would have dropped out an early round, he said, "I'm still happy as
long as I learned one new word."
Two other St. Louis-area children have won the national contest. In 1955,
Sandra Sloss won with the word "crustaceology." In 1962, Michael Day was the co-
winner with the word "esquamulose." The St. Louis Globe-Democrat sponsored both
winners.
The Post-Dispatch sponsored George and his father's trip to Washington.
Other young spellers from the St. Louis region who competed at the national bee
this year were Henry Adeny Wasonga, 12, of Rolla, Mo., who made it to the first
round; Christopher Michael Jones, 10, of Chatham, Ill., who made it to the
third round; and Steven Stilt, 14, of Greenville, Ill., and Amanda Whitworth,
of Columbia, Mo., who made it to the fourth round.

Top of the page | Back to postnet.com home
E-mail the News editor | About the News section | Toolbox
postnet.com's Privacy Policy
Subscribe to the Post-Dispatch | Get Internet access from postnet.com
E-mail this URL to a friend | Advertising information
© 2000 St. Louis Post-Dispatch, postnet.com

End<{{

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers." Universal Declaration of Human Rights
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL