6/7/00

Don't fall for this. This is a ploy to de-fang environmentalists and labor.
By throwing them a few crumbs, they hope to shut them up about globalization.

The problem is the effects of Big Business going global. NOT whether Greens
and unions have representation.

This is an attempt to buy off the opposition with crumbs.

Joshua2
====================
IGC News Desk wrote:

>        Copyright 2000 InterPress Service, all rights reserved.
>           Worldwide distribution via the APC networks.
>
>                       *** 06-Jun-0* ***
>
> Title: ENVIRONMENT-TRADE: US Drops Move to Fight Ruling on Trade Panels
>
> By Danielle Knight
>
> WASHINGTON, Jun 6 (IPS) - The US government, to the cheers of
> environmentalists, has dropped its appeal of a Federal court
> ruling that forced it to include representatives of environmental
> groups on two of its industry-dominated trade advisory panels.
>
> The US Trade Representative (USTR) and Department of Commerce
> dismissed the appeal on Jul. 2, a move seen by environmental
> groups as the first step in democratising how trade policy is made
> in this country.
>
> Together the two government agencies have almost two dozen
> advisory committees on trade policy - that are comprised only of
> corporate and industry representatives.
>
> Now, two representatives from environmental groups have been
> formally appointed to two trade advisory panels that discuss trade
> in lumber and paper products.
>
> A spokeswoman at the USTR told IPS that the removal of the appeal
> was not a sudden turn around in policy.
>
> "The Administration (of US President Bill Clinton) has had a long
> standing commitment toward greater inclusiveness of environmental
> and consumer organisations," she said.
>
> Environmental groups praised the move as the beginning of opening
> up trade policy to citizens' views.
>
> ''In a democracy, industry should not be the only interest
> represented in setting our trade policies," says Patti Goldman, an
> attorney with Earthjustice Legal Defense Fund, who filed the
> lawsuit leading to the appointments.
>
> Environmental groups, many of the same who protested against the
> World Trade Organisation (WTO) in the streets of Seattle,
> Washington last year, argued that the make-up of these panels
> violated US law which requires trade advisory panels to be
> balanced and not comprised only of business and industry leaders.
>
> Information shared between industry and the USTR is not publicly
> released, except for brief summaries of subjects discussed.
> Meanwhile, the environmental consequences of trade agreements can
> be enormous, according to environmental organisations.
>
> They say that the make-up of these advisory panels reflect how
> trade agreements - including policy made through the WTO - have
> often been worked out in an undemocratic manner, behind closed
> doors and with no public participation. Groups made some headway
> last year when a Federal Court took their side.
>
> Last November Federal District Court Judge Barbara Rothstein ruled
> that the Trade Representative and Commerce Secretary had violated
> the Federal Advisory Committee Act by limiting membership on the
> paper and wood products committees to industry officials.
>
> "The composition of the forest product Industry Sector Advisory
> Committees (ISACs) ... violates (the law's) requirement to be
> [...]

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL