Title:

by Jeffrey Wells

Having now seen all of The Patriot, the Mel Gibson Revolutionary War drama that opens June 30, I can see why those crafty Sony publicists showed just 40 minutes' worth — the first act — to journalists a few weeks ago. The first 40 minutes are the tightest, strongest, and most focused part of the film. Moreover, director Roland Emmerich's tendency to shamelessly milk each and every emotional scene (i.e., those involving death, love, family bonding) for maximum cloying impact becomes much more apparent later in the film.
The Patriot is longish (2 hours, 35 minutes), but it doesn't bore, and it delivers the basic goods. It's a sad, stirring saga about the horrible costs of war exacted upon a single family, told in a sprawling, episodic style.

It's the "sprawling" that's the problem, according to a small group of journalists who gathered in the lobby of the William Holden Theatre on the Sony lot last night (i.e., Thursday). It goes here and there, and then someone gets killed, and then there's a battle, and then it's time to nurture the family, and then it's off to war again, and so on. Not a great deal of story tension. It's always eye-filling, but it wanders a bit. More than a bit, others were saying.

"Steven Soderbergh could've made this a great film," someone said. "I wish I could see the Soderbergh version." Meaning he believes Soderbergh would've trimmed the fat, tightened the pace, and cut down on the emotional milking.

Widower dad Benjamin Martin (Gibson) has a brood of seven children, including Gabriel (Heath Ledger), the oldest, who joins the Colonial Army to fight the British as The Patriot begins. Before the film ends, the family will have its ranks narrowed, and a lot of blood will be spilt. It's not pretty. The violent content is quite raw and "real."

At first Gibson is against joining the fight, claiming that his only true responsibility is to his family and crops. In fact, he fears the violent savage within him that was once let loose during the French and Indian War, and he is consumed with the fear that if he goes to war again his sins — specifically, an atrocity he took part in following a massacre — will come back at him and destroy his family. He does, and they do.

The battle scenes are awesome. Beautiful, really — better than Barry Lyndon's, if you ask me. The aural effects are magnificent. The distant sound of muskets popping off and the rumble of random, booming cannon fire puts a chill into the bones of Gibson's family as they hear them for the first time. Same for the audience. The first time we hear these sounds of warfare — in the early evening, from the vantage point of Gibson's front porch — may be the film's most potent moment.

I'm not giving The Patriot a failing grade — I was moderately satisfied with it. But I know what those guys in the lobby were talking about, and they're not wrong.

The same guy who uttered the Soderbergh remark also said, "I think Warner Brothers is going to be very happy with this film." He was referring to WB's The Perfect Storm, which is also opening June 30, and the likelihood that WB distribution execs will be encouraged by the judgment (shared by our lobby critics) that The Patriot may not have long legs, while The Perfect Storm — which our lobby critic believes to be a better film — may pull out ahead after two or three weeks. Or it may not. Never underestimate the public's willingness to wallow in on-the-nose emotionalism.
http://www.reel.com/reel.asp?node=movienews/confidential

Bard
Pro Libertate - For Freedom
BUCHANAN-Reform
http://gopatgo2000.com/default.htm
To support Mr. Buchanan in the White House
we must send to Congress Constitutional conservatives.