Newsmax-Inside Cover

Sunday June 11, 2000; 3:38 PM EDT

Burton to Seek Obstruction Charges Against Reno

Chairman of the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee
Dan Burton said Sunday that he will seek obstruction of justice
charges against Attorney General Janet Reno because of her
conduct in the Chinagate probe.

 But, said the Indiana Republican, he won't be able to do so
until the Clinton administration has ended.

 Burton told "Fox News Sunday's" Tony Snow and Brit Hume that he
believes top Justice Department officials "have to be held
accountable" for blocking the FBI's attempts to question
President Clinton and Vice President Al Gore about key Asian
fund-raisers who pumped millions of dollars into the Democratic
Party in 1996.

BURTON: Well, I don't think we're going to be able to get
anything done with this attorney general and this administration.
But regarding the next administration, if we have an attorney
general who's justly going to administer the law, then I believe
they will and should look into these allegations.

I mean, two top FBI agents told [FBI Director] Louie Freeh - and
he felt strongly about it enough that he went to the attorney
general herself - that Lee Radek, one of her chief deputies,
said, "we're under a lot of pressure," that, in effect, if she
appoints an independent counsel she might lose her job. And then
she didn't do it. And tip-toed around the requirements of the
law. I think that borders on obstruction of justice.

 HUME: Congressman, on her part? Obstruction of justice on her
part - is that what you're saying?

 BURTON: Yes, I think if she was not administering the law as
required by the Congress, the law which we passed, and she was
doing it because she was trying to protect her job, then that's
deliberate obstruction in my opinion.

 HUME: Do you believe that to be the case? That is why she did it
and therefore that it is obstruction as you call it?

 BURTON: Well, let's look at the facts. Lee Radek says that she
was afraid she'd lose her job. And it was in reference to whether
or not she should appoint an independent counsel. She did not
appoint one. All of the people in Congress who've worked with
this law believe she should have appointed an independent
counsel, she had no choice. And yet she didn't do it.

 And as a result, we believe a lot of these things. ... I mean,
the U.S. attorney out in California was going to go after Al
Gore. He had an investigation and was probably going to impanel a
grand jury.

And Lee Radek jerked that away from him, saying, "Well, the
independent counsel statute may require that we have to appoint
an independent counsel, so we're going to take this away from
you." And all the while, I believe that Lee Radek knew that he
was not going to appoint an independent counsel because of Janet
Reno.

 SNOW: So it sounds like you're saying that Lee Radek was the guy
who's obstructing justice.

 BURTON: Well, Radek was not the man in charge. He was in charge
of the division that deals with public integrity. But Janet Reno
was the ultimate decision maker over there.

 SNOW: OK. Why can't this simply be a disagreement about what the
law says? Why does there have to be some criminal element here?

BURTON: Well, if the president and the vice president broke the
law, and if you read the LaBella and Freeh memos you'll find that
the FBI believes that the vice president lied to them, and the
Justice Department would not let the FBI ask them questions about
John Huang, Charlie Trie, Maria Hsia and the other people who
were bringing money in from Communist China and elsewhere, if
that's the case - and I believe it is - then they have to be held
accountable.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL